===[COMMITTED]=== Ptolemies Corral

Arishia

Hi, this is my concept for the Ptlomies Corral; I was based in "LordGood" concept but I thought that the ones he draw have some historical issues (poor people didn’t build second floors for their structures) also I change the mud brick fence for wooden because the ticket says so. Comments are welcome for changes or to start in the model.

Thanks

post-15796-0-05137400-1385117954_thumb.j

post-15796-0-38185200-1385117965_thumb.j

• Like 2

I supose that the roof is like the roof of the stereotypical middle eastern markets with colored fabric?

perhaps with paralel lines in dirty white and the color of the player .

Instead of the typical hay or wood.

If so, i like the idea, it is a building of the poor after all.

like the first market of the image.

http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/14/13301/greek-market-unit.jpg

Edited by NoMolester

I suggest you see other Ptolemaic Buldings in game, keep in main low polygons.

There are the scale and proportions.

* 5x5 - Civic Centre (Village Centre=>Town Centre=>City Centre)

* 2x2 - House

* 3x3 - Farmstead

* 3x6 - Field

* 3x6 - Corral

* 3x3 - Mill

* 1x1 - Outpost

* 1x4 - Wall Section

* 1x1 – Tower

* 1x2 - Gate

And you can see some good details in the trac.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ArtDesignDocument

• Like 2

I suggest you see other Ptolemaic Buldings in game, keep in main low polygons.

There are the scale and proportions.

* 5x5 - Civic Centre (Village Centre=>Town Centre=>City Centre)

These are in-game tiles... I'm not really sure how helpful that could be to get the right proportions and scale when modelling.

In my experience, the best way to have a good scale reference is to import an existing building of similar size as the one you want to model into the 3D software you are using.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that the Art Design Document is very outdated, but you may find something interesting or useful though.

EDIT2: Some more tips and guidelines:

Tips & requirements of the engine:

- Approx triangle count for buildings: small 2k-5k, mid 4k-6k, big 6k-8k, wonders 8k-12k.

- The engine uses .DAE (Collada) format for models and animations.

- The engine does not render double-faced polys, so if you want a polygon with both faces rendered, you need to duplicate it and flip the normals.

- The engine does not tile the textures like blender does, so when UV mapping, keep the UV islands within the texture space.

- We use two UV coordinates, one with overlapping UVs for diffuse, normal/parallax and specularity and another non-overlapping for AO maps.

- Building models need to extend below the ground (-Z axis) because it can be visible when the building is constructed in uneven terrain.

- To get the correct scale it is very useful to import a building from the game into blender as a reference.

These are in-game tiles... I'm not really sure how helpful that could be to get the right proportions and scale when modelling.

In my experience, the best way to have a good scale reference is to import an existing building of similar size as the one you want to model into the 3D software you are using.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that the Art Design Document is very outdated, but you may find something interesting or useful though.

EDIT2: Some more tips and guidelines:

Tips & requirements of the engine:

- Approx triangle count for buildings: small 2k-5k, mid 4k-6k, big 6k-8k, wonders 8k-12k.- The engine uses .DAE (Collada) format for models and animations. - The engine does not render double-faced polys, so if you want a polygon with both faces rendered, you need to duplicate it and flip the normals.

- The engine does not tile the textures like blender does, so when UV mapping, keep the UV islands within the texture space.

- We use two UV coordinates, one with overlapping UVs for diffuse, normal/parallax and specularity and another non-overlapping for AO maps.- Building models need to extend below the ground (-Z axis) because it can be visible when the building is constructed in uneven terrain.

- To get the correct scale it is very useful to import a building from the game into blender as a reference.

I can imagine that Enrique but i say about human proportions that why the other day understand why have that obviusly can be fixed with other elements,that why have that, remember the Ptolemy's dock, but with that sketch I don't think she can have any problem.

I can imagine that Enrique but i say about human proportions that why the other day understand why have that obviusly can be fixed with other elements,that why have that, remember the Ptolemy's dock, but with that sketch I don't think she can have any problem.

Sorry but I don´t understand a single word you said jeje

Puedes hablarme en Español para poder entenderte mejor ;)

Edited by Arishia

Hi, what do you think? What do you need next? I am learning "Blender" to help you in the textures because in 3dsmax I work with another texture management or if you have a guide to do it in 3dsmax that will be helpful.

Obviously the props are missing, I tried to download the archive you have for the props but the archive is too old, do I make some? Or do you have some you could lend me for standardization?

post-15796-0-37178900-1385193970_thumb.p

post-15796-0-08198700-1385193993_thumb.p

post-15796-0-60182600-1385194009_thumb.p

Edited by Arishia
  • Like 2

Hi, what do you think? What do you need next? I am learning "Blender" to help you in the textures because in 3dsmax I work with another texture management or if you have a guide to do it in 3dsmax that will be helpful.

Obviously the props are missing, I tried to download the archive you have for the props but the archive is too old, do I make some? Or do you have some you could lend me for standardization?

Nice! it looks like a nice start.

The texture is already done, you just have to map the model to the texture. You can find it here: http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/skins/structural/ptol_struct.png

For the props you can create your own or use the props of other buildings. They're mainly cubes for crates and cylinder-like barrels. If you're able to import .dae files into 3DSmax you can grab the geometry from there.

The buildings are in the following game directory: /binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/structural/

The only problem I see in the model is that there's a lot of geometry wasted in the fence to make it look less sophisticated. That geometry could be used in other details of the structure, props, or just keeping the building as lowpoly as possible if there's no need to use them.

EDIT: It's not mandatory to use helpers to add props. There are portions in the mentioned texture for crate, barrels, food, etc... that you can use in order to make them with the structure without the need of having the props in a separate file and adding them via helpers.

Nice work so far, keep it up! ;)

Definitely gives off that humble feel :D

the slant of the walls is bothering me though, they don't look able to hold themselves up, and the lightning fence :P

I'd take more of a look into the fractal geometry of branches to do something like that, and it would be difficult to see at a player's perspective anyhow.

Hello, I listened your indications here are two options a square corral and a trapezoid coorral I like more the trapezoid because it is a more egyptian fashion but both are ok with me I couldnt put the hay stacks because there is no hay stack textures in the texture pack of the egyptians, i didnt want to put my own textures, how can i get the generic hay textures so i can put the hay stacks insde the corral or can i put my own textures for the hay?.

any modification?

post-15796-0-60202400-1385279123_thumb.p

post-15796-0-75889500-1385279140_thumb.p

post-15796-0-67067000-1385279162_thumb.p

post-15796-0-54565000-1385279179_thumb.p

post-15796-0-78843400-1385279202_thumb.p

post-15796-0-80911000-1385279217_thumb.p

• Like 3

Nice, Arishia, I like the trapezoid shaped one.

I'd suggest to try another portion on the texture that may look even poorer (the portion that the houses use I think it could work).

I think what LordGood says may be some kind of vertical beam or woodframe at the animal entrance. The entrance is so open that it certainly looks that it could not hold the walls up. The railings are looking better, I'd ask you to make them a tad thicker, to be able to see them from max zoom-out ingame.

Nice progress so far ;)

• Like 3

Sorry but I don´t understand a single word you said jeje

Puedes hablarme en Español para poder entenderte mejor ;)

No creo q vayas a tener problemas si te guías por los sketch de lordgood sólo ve las prorciones de las unidades con los corrales. Me preocupa que últimamente veo que se les olvida el tamaño que tendrán en el juego.

Ya lo dije enrique creo, y opino igual. Deberias cerrar las parades si no Los animalitos la pasa ran mal de noche XD.

As say enrique we need garrison inside the building must be closed. Nice work there.

Now you can finish it and then when this one the market can be nice, is possibly finish all working hard with Lordgood?

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

To garrison in the open shelter, how about a section of fence (with a gate) across the opening? Have fixed fence rails that go to a supporting post in the middle, maybe, with the other half closed by a gate.

The open-sided shelter really does make more sense in a hot climate like Egypt.

Edited by greenknight32

• 4 months later...