towered elephants for carthage

newcivs

I think the the towered elephants on the Alpha 15 of 0AD, must be add to carthaginian faction i gonna explain! the reazon:

Carthage all the time buies Towered Elephants to Ptolomeaic Empire!, in fact dirung the 1 and 2 punic wars this units was of the most important unit for Carthage, this unit caouldn't be used as shock unit, the most common use of is unit is shoot Arrows Stones and Javelins, but this unit isn't weak for the "face-to-face fight", because for this combat has: The elephant itself, and a "panopila" with the same armour of the hellenic holipites but mounted on the elephant

this is my source!

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ej%C3%A9rcito_de_Cartago

We can use as base for this unit the "ptolomeaic" towered elephant

Edited by newcivs

"The Carthaginians also used the animals as effective weapons, but as their use became more common, anti-elephant tactics became more sophisticated. At Hannibal’s final defeat at the Battle of Zama in 202 BC, his elephant charge was rendered ineffective when the Roman maniples that simply moved out the way, allowing the elephants to pass through their ranks, to be finished off by light infantry in the rear."

http://www.military-history.org/articles/war-culture-animals-of-war.htm

Edited by greycat

Take easy newcivs, the game is not finish, many people is contributing to make this thinks possibly. Hero Hannibal have tower, but I don't know why the war elephant dint gave one. The last years somebody says they don't make a new buildings like Blacksmith, now we have blacksmith.

For now I want the units have special abilities or new victory condition like regicide.for now they are many guys making commands to the game, be patient, all request that you ask are to art department, and the Elephants have a new animations now.

Now I see its interesting, if you research Elephant turret, you added that for elephant so then you can garrison in. The torrent some units.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

It's almost sure that Hannibal liked to ride his favourite elephant with a tower on its back, but there's no strong evidence that all carthaginian war elephants had a tower on their back. Depictions of battles with towered war elephant troops may have been romanticized, extrapolated from Hannibal's battle elephant.

It's not sure that heavy back towers would have been a great choice for north african elephants (now extinct), which were smaller than asian elephants. The towered elephant Hannibal mounted was described as much bigger and stronger than the other elephants of his army, and was probably an asian elephant. In some texts Hannibal's favourite elephant is called "The Syrian", which lead to think that it was a specimen of the syrian elephants, now extinct, which were bigger and stronger than the other asian elephants (but still smaller than the african bush elephant).

As far as I know, the only textual evidence of the Carthaginians using towered elephants is with Hannibal's elephant, "Sura" or "Syrian." The rest of Carthage's elephant corps went un-towered. There is plenty of evidence that the Ptolemaic war elephants used towers, so they will definitely have towers.

Also most of Hannibal's elephants died. I can't imagine imagine them carrying the added weight through the mountains.

According to Polybius he arrived in Italy accompanied by 20,000 foot soldiers and 4,000 horsemen, and only a few elephants.

As far as I know, the only textual evidence of the Carthaginians using towered elephants is with Hannibal's elephant, "Sura" or "Syrian." The rest of Carthage's elephant corps went un-towered. There is plenty of evidence that the Ptolemaic war elephants used towers, so they will definitely have towers.

In fact during the Haninnbal's invasion of roman republic the only towered elephant was "the syrian" but during the "battle of zama" Cartage attacks with many toered elephants, very late, but were used

In fact during the Haninnbal's invasion of roman republic the only towered elephant was "the syrian" but during the "battle of zama" Cartage attacks with many toered elephants, very late, but were used