Walls: are they useful?

AlexN

Are walls useful in any way? At the beginning I found out that enemies can easily find their way around walls.

After some playing I found a kind of tactics that prevents attacks.

Place some towers around your center in a positions where they will be able to shoot over the wall. Then build the wall. It is good to use natural obstacles, like hills or map edges. You can start doing this at stage 2. After transition to stage 3

you will have a wall and some space outside of it.

Now the most important part. Build short sections of wall going outside from the main wall. Like this: _|___|__|___

Build several towers in these "paddocks". AI can not deal with this design. They see wall, they start crushing it. But they

do not realize that this wall does not actually block their way. It is just the nearest wall in the town.

Also it looks like AI has difficulties in finding way around a wall like this.

While they are doing this useless work on useless walls, towers and archers can eliminate them.

It is possible to rebuild walls between attacks. It is also possible to build stores or farms inside these outside sections. One or two could be lost.

Can you share your experience with city design?

I used to think walls weren't worth it, but recently I have used/seen them used to great effect. They at the very least buy you time until the opponent can break through to your CC. At best, they give your K:D ratio a big booster because of the garrisons in your wall turrets and towers behind your walls if it comes to a direct attack on the walls, which in a ideal situation it shouldn't