Longtime Lurker Says Hello! (And a request)

Greetings people:)

I'm Nikos, from Greece.

I've been frequently checking this game for a long while now, since I love ancient history and strategy games. Haven't played much since the lag is quite annoying (I'm not whinning, I've read what causes it) and when I tried multiplayer a year or so ago it proved hard to find other players. But overall I'm quite impressed and I want to thank you all for the hard work and say this has great potential.

I made a forum account some years ago but somehow forgot my password and didn't bother to get it back until now, but I've been lurking around and checking progress frequently. I have no real programmer or graphic skills to really help on development but I'll try sharing some thoughts around the forums from now on.

Besides that I'm little by little making an ancient themed RTS on the Warcraft 3 world editor. While I like strategy game design and how it turns out, WC3 is fantasy themed and lacking modeling/skinning skills reduces my enthousiasm (and I turn out to focus mostly on my other hobbies, like writting punk rock music). The gameplay and faction design is mostly done, it was actually playable with 4 factions and AI until I broke many things to alter the core gameplay.

Is anyone here familiar with WC3 modding and willing to help or make it as a team? I'd mostly need minor model/skin edits, but anything from triggering/terraining better than mine to just advice or playtesting is welcome. I'm also using 0 A.D. icons on it (I hope it's ok since it's freeware) to give more of an ancient era feel and plan to advertise 0 A.D. within the map and on the hosting forums.

Lastly, any hope on changing the Celtic Cross (or anyway extremely simular) game logo, since nowadays it's a fascist symbol? I know it's not intended to promote fascism and it fits with the game but I'd prefer something else.

Edited by Prodigal Son

Lastly, any hope on changing the Celtic Cross (or anyway extremely simular) game logo, since nowadays it's a fascist symbol? I know it's not intended to promote fascism and it fits with the game but I'd prefer something else.

Maybe you can think that 0 a.d helps to kick the fascist meaning of the celtic cross, like the swastika from mauryans.

The Nazis alone used lots of symbols, like the eagle. Next to that, you have the multitude of symbols used by other fascist movements. I don't think we should, or even could ban them all from the game. Most of those symbols have a classic meaning, which is very different from the fascist meaning. As we're a game about the ancient times, it's clear we want to stress the ancient meaning.

The Nazis alone used lots of symbols, like the eagle. Next to that, you have the multitude of symbols used by other fascist movements. I don't think we should, or even could ban them all from the game. Most of those symbols have a classic meaning, which is very different from the fascist meaning. As we're a game about the ancient times, it's clear we want to stress the ancient meaning.

I know, that's why I said it's just a suggestion that's coming from personal preference. Never said it's intended to be used the modern way. Anyway I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it, at least in this topic, it totally distracts from the rest of my post.

I know, that's why I said it's just a suggestion that's coming from personal preference. Never said it's intended to be used the modern way. Anyway I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it, at least in this topic, it totally distracts from the rest of my post.

Yes, LOL. Welcome to the forums and thanks for your suggestions so far :D

Btw, for the icons, I think it's ok, but if you derive something from those icons, you also need to make it available under the same license. I guess attribution is ok when you want to advertise the game.

• Like 1

Yes, LOL. Welcome to the forums and thanks for your suggestions so far :D

Btw, for the icons, I think it's ok, but if you derive something from those icons, you also need to make it available under the same license. I guess attribution is ok when you want to advertise the game.

The icons are just used for a non-comercial map in Warcraft III. Like an atlas scenario, only in Warcraft you can include imported files in maps.

Edited by Prodigal Son