Concept artist/Illustration application - Gordon Tian

gordont

Position: The position or role you are applying for. See the list above for the current available staff roles in Wildfire Games.

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?
Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license?
Yes

Name:
Gordon Tian
Email:
gdn.tian@gmail.com
MSN Messenger:
gdn.tian (skype)
Availability:
10-15 hours/week

Skills and Experience:
I'm new out of school at FZD in Singapore, from which I have a diploma in entertainment design.

Motivation:
I'm a huge nerd for history and old cultures, an avid gamer, and I love to design and paint!
Personality:
I go easy when I'm hanging out but I go hard when I work.

Short Essay:
I heard about you guys from indieDB. I love historical stuff like this so 1) I want a greater representation of it in my portfolio and 2) I want deliver good stuff into this game and help build it!

Interests and Hobbies:
I read a lot, I play games, and I spend my spare time looking at photos of cool stuff, like architecture and vehicles.

Favorite Game:
No favorite at the moment because I'm mostly working (though I'm making a feeble attempt to figure out Dwarf Fortress), but I used to love Starcraft and Civ.

Work Examples:

You can find my work at gordontian.blogspot.com

I love the work on your blog. What exactly would you be interested in conceptualizing for us?

A few things we'd maybe like to have going forward:

-- Seleucid Empire building concepts. The Seleucids were a Macedonian-Greek dynasty that ruled the Eastern 2/3 of Alexander's splintered empire. So, basically, their architecture will be "Greek" with some minor Eastern influences here and there. We don't want to just reuse the existing Greek assets; we want all new building models for them. So, some concepts would be excellent. Your work here definitely caught my eye and concepts like these would definitely help out the modelers who will be modeling the new Seleucid buildings (I hope you don't mind me hotlinking them):

8.jpg

16.jpg

7.jpg3.jpg12.jpg

-- Loading screen imagery. It's not been decided definitively, but it is possible/probable we'd like a dozen or more cool images for the loading screen that appears when a match is loading. Such a screen could possibly look something like this:

aTdK5Sb.jpg

Basically, you'd probably be working with other artists to create this kind of content. We'd make a discussion thread and a Trac ticket for the artwork we'd need, post a bunch of reference images and description, and then guide and shape the design as it progresses. Enrique and myself would be the ones you'd primarily work with as well as LordGood who made that cool background image in the above mockup.

Could you work in this kind of team environment? If so, would you be willing to create a test image for us with our input to just give you and us an idea how we'll work together? :) We ask this of all potential artists. (y)

Hey Michael, thanks for taking an interest in having me aboard!

I typically work best in team projects with strict deadlines/specifications, so I don't expect much friction in integrating onto the team. I'm also open to the idea of an art test, so if you have a specification and deadline, I'd be happy to get started on that for you!

Hey Michael, thanks for taking an interest in having me aboard!

I typically work best in team projects with strict deadlines/specifications, so I don't expect much friction in integrating onto the team. I'm also open to the idea of an art test, so if you have a specification and deadline, I'd be happy to get started on that for you!

I'll try to get Enrique, the Art Dept Lead, in on this discussion and we'll come up with something for you. (y)

Hello Gordont, welcome to the forums!

Awesome work examples, they're really cool!

Is it OK if we give you a list of buildings that need a concept for modellers to work on them? We would give you some basic directions and some real photo references for the ones that are possible and your task will be to make a concept based on them following the general art direction of the game. This will require you to download the game and take a look at the buildings we currently have ingame to match the general layouts for each building type. Depending on how fast you are at it, we will make the list bigger or shorter and revise it for each alpha cycle.