chariots for Carthage

newcivs

I think that a bright idea is give to the Carthage faction the powerful war chariots "potenicialized by numidian horses" representating the use of carthage of this units, therrefore fact i was moodded my 0AD inslation adding artificcialy the chariots aviable on 0AD, and comparing the results to the "wikipedia", i tries these chariots:

* Carbanto "Fail"

* Mauryan Chariot "Fail"

* Persian Calvary Archer "Perfect", we on a eventually carthage chariot, we must use it as a chariot "only replace the persian logos for Carthaginian logos"

this is my source for want and ask for it

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ej%C3%A9rcito_de_Cartago

Although illustrations found Punic war chariots , are reliefs of Phoenician and Cypriot vehicles , which can take similar - if not identical. The chariots were used in Cyprus at the beginning of V century . C. , 100 Punic design apparently , but at the same time ceased to be used for the rest of the griegos.101 There are many representations in terracotta Cypriot car from seventh to sixth centuries . C. , also have been discovered remains of royal carriages of Salamis in Cyprus , dating from the mid - seventh to eighth century . C. Also have been representations of real cars or currency sacred Sidon Sidonians V century a. C.

The Phoenician goldsmiths the seventh and eighth . C. is also a prolific source of images of chariots. Parts of Punic war chariots found in the Iberian Peninsula ( c. eighth century . C. ) , as well as illustrations on them, recorded in tombs also Iberian soil , can confirm their employment in foreign campaigns of Carthage.

According to these data , the Punic cars had a similar style , both in construction and combat tactics , the Assyrian chariots the seventh and eighth . C. (eg control cars were distinguished in the field by umbrellas ) . Recent chariots of Salamis and Lift models had dual shaft to yoke four horses , modeled Assyrian . This would be the Punic truck model IV century . C.

Diodorus mentions moving to Sicily from 300 chariots , horses over 2000 pairs of "reserve" 102 during the war against Dionysius I of Syracuse .

During the expedition of 341 . C. against Timoleon , the chariots Carthaginian army moved forward and played a decisive role for rejecting a surprise attack by the Syracusan cavalry , commanded by Damareto on Punic troops crossing the river Crimiso . The mobility of cars, equipped with blades on the wheels, broke up and pushed back the Syracusan cavalry . To counter the onslaught of such vehicles, attacked frontally Timoléon elite troops , defeated and captured 200 chariots .

In the early fighting following the invasion of Africa ( 310 a.) By the tyrant Agathocles of Syracuse, the Punic army lined up to 2000 cars and 1000 horsemen against the Syracusans , who had no mounted troops . Despite such a disproportion of forces, the initial charge of the cavalry and chariots crashed against enemy infantry , which minimized the impact of riders and vehicles. Added to that , the archers and slingers harassed them with launches massive missile , forcing them to retreat on its own infantry , destroying it .

The chariot stopped Carthaginian widely used after this season , but during the punic wars was be used!

here i have a photography!

220px-Carthaginian_chariot.png

i think that we can put the Persian Calvary Archer b this unis has the best appereance for it!, and we only need delete the persian icons, and put carthaginian icons!

Edited by newcivs

Carthage have abandoned chariot when they encountered the Greeks in Sicily but it wasn't obsolete during the founding of Carthage and the time frame was fine for the Carthaginian to deploy chariots, but with a major problem : How do you phased out the chariots in the Carthaginian Army? Are they Editor-Only-Unit or generic military unit? IMHO they should be Editor-Only-Unit.

Edited by Mega Mania
  • Like 1

Carthage have abandoned chariot when they encountered the Greeks in Sicily but it wasn't obsolete during the founding of Carthage and the time frame was fine for the Carthaginian to deploy chariots, but with a major problem : How do you phased out the chariots in the Carthaginian Army? Are they Editor-Only-Unit or generic military unit? IMHO they should be Editor-Only-Unit.

i mod my 0ad instalation: chance the famous public.zip file, and editing on simulation/templates/units/cart:barracks.xml, entries put the pers_calvary_archer_b, this is the indicated chariot to mod for an eventually carthaginian chariot!, and i have an idea, train this units on a "hidden builing" as to the hellenic stoa or cart tophet, in few words train this unit from a "hidden" structure, as the persian "kardaces holipite and skirmisher"

• 1 month later...

carthage don't abadon the chariot in this wars, in fact carthage surrive tu a huge attack of dionisius of siracuse, with only chariots!, but in the punic wars, and samall, and "random" trarrain of italy and this islands the chariots are very unuse@#$%, huge and "slow", and expensive, were replaced by numidian javelinist