other languages?..

digimikeh

I'm taking part in translating the game into german and I've got a question: Do we use the generic masculine? For instance:

female citizen. I could use the generic masculine to translate it to "Weiblicher Bewohner" / "Weiblicher Dorfbewohner" / "Weiblicher Bürger" or I could use the female form like "Weibliche Bewohnerin" / "Weibliche Dorfbewohnerin" / "Weibliche Bürgerin".

So what am I supposed to use? It's difficult to explain as there is no difference like this in the english language though...

edit: With female form I mean the literal gender of the terms.

Edited by Almin

How about: "Bewohnerin" / "Dorfbewohnerin" / "Bürgerin". English needs to add "female", becaue it doesn't have anything corresponding to the -in ending. We can drop that extra word in German.

Great! I also thought about that solution, but I wasn't sure. Thank you!

Sorry for doubleposting, but:

What about all the latin names?

(like: Calydnus, Bardyia, Cadmus, Polydorus, Pentheus,...)

I can't think of any corresponding german name or something. Is it ok to just take over the orgiginal latin(/english?)?

edit: Yes, you're right! ;)

Edited by Almin

Sorry for doubleposting, but:

What about all the latin names?

(like: Calydnus, Bardyia, Cadmus, Polydorus, Pentheus,...)

I can't think of any corresponding german name or something. Is it ok to just take over the orgiginal latin(/english?)?

edit: Yes, you're right! ;)

In those cases, it's ok to take it over from English, but in some cases it isn't. Like "Philip" is written as "Filip" in Dutch, and "Philippe" in some other languages (like French). Sometimes, some letter combinations can be modified (like we don't often use a 'th', but that's mostly transformed to a 't'), but it's always good to research those changes if they were applied elsewhere.

He comenzado ha traducir. Necesito revisión constante, hay unas palabras difíciles de traducir con una sola palabra en español. Yes y otras como "Rate" que cuesta traducir, así que yo uso promedio, pero no sé ustedes.

For “rate” I use “velocidade” in Galician. I think “velocidad” might work as well for Spanish, as in “velocidad de recolección de recursos” (resource gathering rate).

English likes to shorten things and make life difficult for translators with abbreviations etc. Our translations are bound to be longer. I'd say for now translate in a way that will sound natural and don't worry too much about string length. We might need to adjust the GUI for string length later, and not just for Spanish.

It is a good idea to keep translations consistent with other games :)

Edited by GunChleoc
  • Like 1