===[COMMITTED]=== Town Bell icons and sounds

Itms

Hi everyone.

I am posting a patch implementing the Town Bell :

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/2154

To replace the ugliest icons ever made by a programmer testing his patch, I'd need the artwork team to design a simple set of icons figuring a bell, a bell for red alert, and a bell for end of alert.

That's what I work with in my tests :

post-15593-0-60671700-1381597917.png post-15593-0-92834300-1381597917.png post-15593-0-20766900-1381597918.png

It would also be interesting to have a sound corresponding to these three levels, or at least a bell sound.

Thanks to all the artwork team !

• Like 1

Three level why?, and remember try to females uses civic center and temples and soldiers uses towers turrets, outpost and fortress .

This I order to improves defenses against a raze or rush.

Today I was put in test against Qbot and was hard game, but I finish easily the Ptolemies have siege powerful warfare.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I considerate the horn but, with notification attack can be some weird. And drumb? ....I don't know is highly need investigate.

I found this:

History[edit]

Bianzhong of Marquis Yi of Zeng, dated 433 BC.

The earliest archaeological evidence of bells dates from 3rd millennium BC, and is traced to the Yangshao culture of Neolithic China.[2] Clapper-bells made of pottery have been found in several archaeological sites.[3] The pottery bells later developed into metal bells. In West Asia, the first bells appear in 1000 BC.[2]

The earliest metal bells, with one found in the Taosi site, and four in the Erlitou site, are dated to about 2000 BC.[4] Early bells not only have an important role in generating metal sound, but arguably played a prominent cultural role. With the emergence of other kinds of bells during the Shang Dynasty (c. 1600 c. 1050 BC), they were relegated to subservient functions; at Shang and Zhou sites, they are also found as part of the horse-and-chariot gear and as collar-bells of dogs.[5]

So in West?

Spanish Wikipedia in English haven't this part.

Las campanas, ya conocidas de los pueblos egipcios y asiáticos en forma de campanillas y usadas también por los griegos y los romanos, fueron adoptadas por la Iglesia católica para convocar a los fieles por lo menos desde el siglo V. Los romanos les dieron el nombre de tintinábula y los cristianos las llamaron signum porque servían para señalar o avisar la hora de las reuniones. Pero ya en el siglo VII, si no antes, se llamaban campanas, como consta por escritores de la época. En aquellos primeros siglos, debieron ser las campanas de reducido tamaño, según parece por las que han llegado hasta nosotros y por ciertas referencias de los historiadores.

Tintinabula are bell in Latin so I put in google tintinabula + roman+ bell and found this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/6fv_Wy9sT-CXd8Jb8WxJBw

Here is English article.

STS41JM.jpg

This rare bell, one of the largest known from the Roman world was discovered by Leslie Alcock,OBE.,FRHS whilst he was excavating Castell Collen, a Roman fort near Llandrindod Wells. Castell Collen was built by Julius Frontinus in the Flavian period and housed both foot and cavalry soldiers and underwent several re-builds during its lifetime. It was abandoned by the Roman Army in the early 4th century, when it was recalled to defend Rome The artefacts from the excavation are on permanent display in the Radnorshire Museum and include some rare glass and castor ware cups from the Commandant's house and, small items found in the latrine.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Being incorrect and being a troll are two different things.

I am neither.

Most Roman bells resembled wind chimes and were used for more religious purposes. I specified "at least what we consider bells" because the idea of large bells ringing to warn or alert the population of something came with the development of church bells and bell towers during the Middle Ages. I mentioned a horn or a drum because both of those already have connotations with warfare and existed for nearly all civilizations compared to Tintinnabulum which were more exclusive to Rome.

449px-Tintinnabulum_Pompeii_MAN_Napoli_I450px-Tintinnabulum-Fund_in_Herculaneum.

These are pictures of actual Tintinnabulum. As you can see, they do not at all resemble the kind of bell that Itms is bringing up.

Drums were used in ancient China for two major and relevant reasons. Firstly, they could detect sappers and miners trying to tunnel underneath a wall. Secondly to give orders to an army during combat since drums are easier to communicate with than a person shouting.

Horn served a similar purpose and were able to be carried by a single person.

Source: http://www.historyofbells.com/bells-history/who-invented-bell/

Additionally, Lion, the article you linked you flat out mentions that that type of bell was very rare and one of the largest made during the era. It would be faulty to assume that these types of bells would be in every town or outpost.

Edited by tribalbeat

As you can see, they do not at all resemble the kind of bell that Itms is bringing up.

Itms said his icons were temporary, and was calling for better artwork.

Horn served a similar purpose and were able to be carried by a single person.

Do you have any sources about horns being used as city alarms in ancient Rome/Greece/Carthage/Egypt ?

Do you have any sources about horns being used as city alarms in ancient Rome/Greece/Carthage/Egypt ?

Lurs which were long bronze horns were used by various Scandinavian and German tribes dating back to the bronze age. Some have been found in Greece and Rome.

I suppose a more accurate term would have been a "Trumpet" rather than a horn. Regardless, have fun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_primitive_and_non-Western_trumpets

It's the three levels levels of bells that I think is unnecessary. Even from reading the description, there should only be two and should be an on/off switch.

The first level would be the default "no-trumpet/bell" level. Red alert is off. Clicking it will turn on red alert.

The second level would be the "Red Alert" level. Clicking on the button will turn off red alert and go back to default state.

Any other additions would be unnecessary clutter or involve micromanagement.

If I misunderstood the reasoning for having an extra icon, please clarify for me. I regret that I don't have the game installed, but I think a more streamlined GUI and smoother gameplay experience is valuable in and of itself.

On the bell/horn discussion: No one has been trolling anybody in this thread. We should use whatever is available for the time period. From the looks of it, trumpets seem to be more reasonable, but that means little since I'm no expert. Are there any more references for the artist to use?

Hi Team, I have created three bell sound trying to re-create an ancient texture on them. However I agree that we should use a herald trumpet sound. I will mix the sound of and ancient instrument named pututo (

) with the bell and feel how it works.
In the meantime you can check the sound designed for the bells so far: http://goo.gl/R8N2w6
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...