Attack notification

Lion.Kanzen

Actually, we might want to use a different sound depending on the civilization, don’t we? And the same might apply to the city bell. Even if it turns out that a bell and a horn are compatible with every 0 A.D. civilization, modders might want to be able to define civilization-specific sounds for this.

I think it's probably best to keep a single sound for these things, it's important to understand what's going on immediately, so having to learn 12 or more different sounds for the same thing is probably not a good idea. That's not to say that it's a bad idea to have the possibility to set civ-specific sounds for these things, but for the main game I think this is one of the cases when playability trumps trying to find a historical sound for each civ.

I'm. Not saying for every fustian. but have 3 sounds some large, some short. See total war rome 2 horn, our is close but not enough. More deeply strong sound. And when are played in game can be different. For example when your town is razed must be more quickly and the licht can be high when you are in battle can be more lower.

I don't think a civ-specific sound would be too difficult to discern for players. The attacked unit(s) flash on the minimap, and eventually we'll probably have chat notifications as well.

We have the chat notifications already, but they are disabled by a config option. If you want to see them, set gui.session.attacknotificationmessage to true.

I think a different sound for each civ would be nice, as long as they were similar in theme, because we will have several alert sounds and don't want them to be confusing. To experiment with this, change the <attacked> sound group in the entity templates for the civ in question. Note also that each entity template can have its own different sound.

I noticed that in many games the attack notifications are wrong in terms of it's content for example if units attack they might say "We are under attacked!" or even if dominant in the ongoing battle say "We cannot hold!".

Audio attack notifications should only occur if units are indeed attacked.

A more desperate notification might be given when a fight is turning out bad for the given player. The detection of that might be hard though so I think it should be first thought through thoroughly before added (if at all).

On the minimap enemy military units/defensive structures might also blink if they are inside the territory borders or in visual range (Not so sure about this).

Edited by FeXoR

I noticed that in many games the attack notifications are wrong in terms of it's content for example if units attack they might say "We are under attacked!" or even if dominant in the ongoing battle say "We cannot hold!".

Audio attack notifications should only occur if units are indeed attacked.

A more desperate notification might be given when a fight is turning out bad for the given player. The detection of that might be hard though so I think it should be first thought through thoroughly before added (if at all).

On the minimap enemy military units/defensive structures might also blink if they are inside the territory borders or in visual range (Not so sure about this).

In what language will the audio attack notifications be? In the native languages? English audio notifications would be strange given that the units speak their native languages.

The more desperate "we cannot hold!" notifications could be given if a formation is under attack and is about to collapse.

The message notification is wrong, if you attack to the female villagers, the games says. About the ai are attack to you.

Multiple messages are most adecuated. When you attack, when you are attckaed and when you are attck by building or when your females are attacked by Ai.

What does this mean? Are you reporting a bug, can you be specific about what it is?

We can certainly produce different sounds for each civilization with a same 'audio profile' in order to keep consistency. It's kind of an interesting challenge for the SD team.
Please let me now and I could start working on this.
Regarding the voices, IMHO it should be in native language.

• Like 1