Germanic faction(s)

Arnthor

Comitatus? Hmm i dont think so, thst is latín and don't means noble Cavalry

The Noble cavalry was Cnithe not Comitatus.

The picture i posted yesterday came from Invasio Barbarorum: Somnium Apostatae Iuliani, if you wish know more about the mod you may visit TWC forum.

Edited by Mega Mania

Yes they destroy the Roman army in Adrianople 378 AD, then they sacked Rome 410 AD which speed up the disintegration of Rome and that is true but ultimately it was the Goths that laid the foundation of a new nation: Spain that makes them important.

Huns and Vandals could destroy cities and they slaughter anyone that oppose them but yet for all that they could hardly build a nation like the Goths(Visigoths) did. Both Huns and Vandals are destructive but Goths was able to transform themselves to a constructive nation which do not depend on raids as a source of economy. That's why i choose the Goths.

Edited by Mega Mania

Again its too many the game can have 13 factions no exactly y but approximately .

as i've said many times before, i think that the Part 2 civs should be an even match in number for the Part 1 civs and should be "equivalents" in some way. for instance, teh Western/Imperial Romans would be the AD equivalent of the BC Republican Romans, the Byzantines to the Athenians (both for geographic area), while the Huns would be the AD equivalent to the Spartans for their (at least perceived) very militaristic lifestyle even if the Huns were actual conquerors with a much larger effect on history than the Spartans

Do we need these? These tribes could barely confront the might of the Ancient Superpowers, some of them failed to be regional superpower while others are nothing but desperate people who have no ambitions at all but to survive.

personally, i think the Anglo-Saxons would be a good addition as historical enemies of the Celts as well as being one of the better-known Germanic peoples, even though in this case they would likely end up using lots of Roman or Romanesque weapons that other Germanic factions wouldn't have access to

Official factions:

1Saxons

2 Goths

3 Sarmatians

4 Huns

5 Germans

6 Parthians

7,8,9. And three roman factions.

well there'd definitely need to NOT be just "Germans" considering our current standards of unique civs. we had just "Hellenes" before, and now we have Athenians, Spartans, Macedonians, etc. so that the civs aren't as generic

I think Belgians should be DLC faction.

depending, i think they'd work best as one of those minifactions that have been discussed elsewhere. did the Belgians really impact history all that much or make much of a name for themselves during 0ad's timeframe?

• Like 1

did the Belgians really impact history all that much or make much of a name for themselves during 0ad's timeframe?

As a military force they went up against Ceassar during the Gallic wars but were subdued. Some migrated to southern Britain and they introduced the heavy plow, which was used to clear many lands previously untillable.

Edited by greycat

http://www.historyfiles.co.uk/KingListsEurope/BarbarianCherusci.htm

Marcomanni wasn't a superpower it was a confederation of tribes rather than a single tribes made up of clans.

Indeed, without the Goths there will be no modern Spain, but unfortunately i think Goths should be a major faction not the Cherusci or Marcomanni and i strongly support the Goths as a major faction.

Ok, i think that the Lion.Kanzen's idea is the best

Official factions:

1Saxons

2 Goths

3 Sarmatians

4 Huns

5 Germans

6 Parthians

we don't put cheruschi or sweben or batavi or marcommanni!, we put a general germanic faction, as to the Briton tribe, we don't put Arveni, Catuvelanni, Ordovices, and the rest of brithonic tribes, we put anly a general germanic faction!, and the best of this is that we can put this faction very quickly, the only structures that we need are the civic centre and the sacrificial temple, and germanics is ready to use, we put the "tavern", as a fortress but with more size!, and here we train dogs, gaesaia and germanic archers!, that is good, and as heores we put:
* Arminius
* Alaricus
* Odoacrus

Ok, i think that the Lion.Kanzen's idea is the best

Official factions:

1Saxons

2 Goths

3 Sarmatians

4 Huns

5 Germans

6 Parthians

we don't put cheruschi or sweben or batavi or marcommanni!, we put a general germanic faction, as to the Briton tribe, we don't put Arveni, Catuvelanni, Ordovices, and the rest of brithonic tribes, we put anly a general germanic faction!, and the best of this is that we can put this faction very quickly, the only structures that we need are the civic centre and the sacrificial temple, and germanics is ready to use, we put the "tavern", as a fortress but with more size!, and here we train dogs, gaesaia and germanic archers!, that is good, and as heores we put:
* Arminius
* Alaricus
* Odoacrus

"we don't put cheruschi or sweben or batavi or marcommanni!"

Maybe I am not understanding...The Saxons were just a confederation of Germanic tribes. They don't seem to be active during timeline do they?

Saxon : a member of the Germanic people who entered and conquered England in the fifth century A.D.

Edited by greycat

I do like the idea of goths but they seem to be a more nomadic Germanic group that sacked Rome only in order to become citizens of Rome.

There was a Gothic kingdom in today's Ukraine before that. And more importantly, the language of the Goths is from a distinct Germanic branch (East Germanic), whereas most of the other Germanic groups mentioned spoke a West Germanic language.

. did the Belgians really impact history all that much or make much of a name for themselves during 0ad's timeframe?

They did do some damage though...

"The Belgian Eburones, revolted and smashed the Fourteenth legion. Unable to get reinforcements from Rome, it took Caesar about a year to put down the uprising."

as i've said many times before, i think that the Part 2 civs should be an even match in number for the Part 1 civs and should be "equivalents" in some way. for instance, teh Western/Imperial Romans would be the AD equivalent of the BC Republican Romans, the Byzantines to the Athenians (both for geographic area), while the Huns would be the AD equivalent to the Spartans for their (at least perceived) very militaristic lifestyle even if the Huns were actual conquerors with a much larger effect on history than the Spartans

personally, i think the Anglo-Saxons would be a good addition as historical enemies of the Celts as well as being one of the better-known Germanic peoples, even though in this case they would likely end up using lots of Roman or Romanesque weapons that other Germanic factions wouldn't have access to

well there'd definitely need to NOT be just "Germans" considering our current standards of unique civs. we had just "Hellenes" before, and now we have Athenians, Spartans, Macedonians, etc. so that the civs aren't as generic

depending, i think they'd work best as one of those minifactions that have been discussed elsewhere. did the Belgians really impact history all that much or make much of a name for themselves during 0ad's timeframe?

No, Huns are nothing but a force of destruction and they can only destroy but unable to construct, it would be better that Huns become part of the DLC factions.

There's no such thing as Byzantines before that it was a fabrication of Western scholar to deny Eastern Roman Empire as the sole inheritor of Roman Empire.

Anglo Saxon can either be DLC or mini faction for they lack the influence to be recognized as a major faction.

I agree with that but try not to put unnecessary German tribes until there's no space for other faction.

Totally agree, they should serve as mini factions instead of DLC factions.

Saxon : a member of the Germanic people who entered and conquered England in the fifth century A.D.

It was the Angles or Anglii, a sub-tribe of the Saxons who have settled in Britain but yet they do not conquer the entire British Isles but only settled down on several Romano British settlements. Plus England didn't exists until 927 AD.

But they cannot do that without the help of the Jutes and the Saxons, unfortunately after gaining control most of the Romano British settlements, the Anglo Saxons did not manage to establish a centralized government which make them less capable of becoming a major faction.

Edited by Mega Mania

As a military force they went up against Ceassar during the Gallic wars but were subdued. Some migrated to southern Britain and they introduced the heavy plow, which was used to clear many lands previously untillable.

that seems like they would be the perfect addition to minifaction lists, then: they have a notable but not major presence, interacted with numerous peoples, and--in the context of the game--have a unique technology that can be included as incentive for allying with them

• 2 weeks later...

Do we need Alemanni? Are they so important? IMHO Franks and Goths are better than the Alemanni as one of the major German factions.

They were a large confederation of Suebian tribes. The Suebi were a large portion of Germany during time of Ceasar. Also they had much influence on other Germanic tribes of the area. The Franks and Goths would mostly be much later time period?

Edited by greycat

Since the Celts in the game are called Gauls and relating to a location and language Gaulish. Just calling them Germanic would fit with this better?

The Germanic peoples (also called Teutonic, Suebian or Gothic in older literature) are an Indo-European ethno-linguistic group.

Edited by greycat