Germanic faction(s)

Arnthor

Thought this part interesting...

Tacitus says that a powerful goddess called Nerthus was worshipped on the shores of the Baltic; he also mentions Isis as a goddess of the Suevic tribea. Both names evidently refer to the same divinity. On the coasts her symbol was a ship; inland, it was a wagon; in some districts she was represented with the plough. Like Donar, she presided over marriage; she also watched over the house and the fields, was the giver and protector of children, and ruled the world of the dead. At a later time she was known to the Saxons as Fria or Frigg, to the Franks as Holds, to the Bavarians as Perchta,—the first name indicating her freedom of manner, the second her kindness, the third her splendour. In the Scandinavian mythology Frigg is the wife of Odin.

for any hypothetical German factions (and this has already been said) it would likely be that they have the same or similar architecture and citizen-soldiers with differences of champion units and some other aspects based on what those other cultures were very well known for in the same way as the Hellenic factions in Part 1

• Like 1

Focus on several important tribes would be better than any other minor tribes, some Nomads and Germanic Tribes like the Huns and Vandals should have lower priority in the lists.

the germanics we should "generalize units" and put "mega factions, as gauls or britons":, as we go for it!

germanics as we know it, and scandinavians, here we guide with the famous icelandic sagas!

Sakutones/Skeudjonez(Sweboz long bow infantry)

The Germanic archer infantry is a lightly armed skirmisher troop type whose sole purpose is to harass, wound and possibly kill enemy warriors from a safe distance.

This unit is only armed with a long bow made of yew + a selection of arrows which were mostly bone/antler arrow heads but also some with fire-hardened arrow heads and simple broad headed iron arrow heads. These arrows would be carried around and protected by a simple arrow quiver made of wood, birch bark or leather. The Germanic archer only close combat weapon is a low quality hunting knife.

This unit type represents the lowest strata of the Sweboz society and because they are not full members of the tribe they are not allowed to use a shield and spear which where the symbols of a free men in early Germanic society.

His low status is also reflected in the simple clothings this unit wears.

This unit is only really effective as a skirmish unit and maybe to chase routing enemy warriors.

Historically, the Germanics only started to use archer in significant numbers during the latter part of the Roman Iron age but there is some evidence that Germanic tribes sometimes used bow and arrow as a weapon of war and not only for hunting.

For example the Vædebro weapons sacrifice in Denmark feature a broken arrow shaft among the more standard weapons found at that site.

Gaisofluxo Frijot, are infact the most common troop type of the Sweboz.

They are the freeman backbone of the Sweboz tribal groups.

Only armed with simple simple bone and/or iron tipped spearheads and only protected by a simple wooden or wicker shield this unit is not very well equipped but what they lack in equipment they make up in experience and eagerness.

Though lacking in the organized training of the war bands that serve in a more regular capacity, these men are veterans of the ritualized tribal warfare within the amalgamation of German tribes, and fight with a force and fury superior to their neighbors militia.

This may be the last elite militia level for 0ad.

in fact, the germanic archers was used, but more time after the III century!, , before were used, but is uncommon!, we can put it as champion infantry, because didn't have campion calvary!, that means

germanic:

Champion Infantry:

* Gaesaia

* Sakuton

i'd recommend a fourth German faction to be included: the Anglo-Saxons

also, i'm a tad confused: is the 1-500ad game going to be a completely separate sequel, or will it be a sequel expansion to teh first one? if nothing else, it would make for interesting scenario design, with the 500-1bc Athenians being used specifically for a map set in Athens during the Byzantine period

In fact, i think that we should:

* Franks,

* Alamanians

* Goth

* Anglo-Saxons

* Cheruschi

* Sweben

for sweben and cheruschi, only we need new civ centres and temples, and germanic archer, ans we are ready to go!, for the rest of tribes we need to go from scratch

Against Minifaction or Subfaction Romano-Britano, can be legendary ;).

The goths are other interestating , I csn I wait the Huns vs goths and Romans forces.

Or Huns vs Sassanid.

The mercenary foederati can be see so cool. I think Honorius Is one worst commanders of all time, check Roman Empire at 400 AD. Vs 460 AD.

But the Xenofobia against Germans and other cultures provoques the fall. Is truth Romans were in decline.

And about romano-britano i think that we should use legionarus romanus, and some units more, this is my source, in spanish again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjdlswBJHLk

In fact, i think that we but germanic embassies "as Carthage's Embassies":

* Frank Embassy

* Goth embassy

* Burgundian Embassy.

And i like too the oportunity to fight with the huns, and aganist huns, carthage "with its chariots and lonchophoroi, and archer elephant is very good!!!

huns ve persians, huns versus selucids

huns vs ptolomeus!

Do we need these? These tribes could barely confront the might of the Ancient Superpowers, some of them failed to be regional superpower while others are nothing but desperate people who have no ambitions at all but to survive.

i explain it:

we should put as rome three ages:

* Early Germania, we put Cheruschi, the tribe of Arminius, and this tribe was after arminius victory a regional superpower, during 22 years, and after a big power on germania.

* Medium Germania, we put the Marcomanni, this tribe was a true germanic empire!, duruing the marcomannian wars was a true challenge, here we don't use spearmen, we use swordsmen!

* Late Germania, we put Goths this tribes were a true superpower!

• Like 1

It could be Germanic to start with at least. The Suebi were a good fraction of Germany according to ancient writers . It is strange to me they are missing. i.m.o.

...also c. 500 BC shows major Celtic city in Germany. The Gauls were more Roman later.

According to ancient writers that created the terms we use today, both Gaul and Germany are of the same people anciently called Celts.

Edited by greycat

We can't use mix culturas that dint great battle etc. Remember we are chosen the most important.

And split Alamanni and Franks. After 15 alpha can be good idea a survey or a pool. To know what are doing right and whst are wrong obviusly our target can be old school player and leave the casual. Sorry for topic off but, I'm thinking how the game as progress with last alphas and optimization and feedback from fundraiser.

Go back with topic. We have 12 factions empires besieged (0ADEB).

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Just an idea...Call the area Celtica? We can then have both Celts, Germans and Belgae etc.. I am fine with just a German faction also.

"europe and celtica are synonymous" *
It was stated by the creator of the modern atlas Abraham Ortelius.Abraham Ortelius (Abraham Ortels) (14 April 1527 – 28 June 1598) was a Flemish cartographer and geographer, generally recognized as the creator of the first
modern atlas, the Theatrum Orbis Terrarum (Theatre of the World). He is also believed to be the first person to imagine that the continents were joined together before drifting to their present positions.

*source: The Scottish Gaël; Or, Celtic Manners, as Preserved Among the Highlanders: Being an Historical and Descriptive Account of the Inhabitants, Antiquities,
and National Peculiarities of Scotland : More Particularly of the Northern, Or Gäelic Parts of the Country, where the Singular Habits of the Aboriginal Celts are Most
Tenaciously Retained, Volume 1

Celtica, Aquitania and the Roman Province. 1736.
celtica.jpg

Edited by greycat

Anglo Saxon units:

post-15682-0-42242000-1382277624_thumb.g

1. Gisipe - Champions

2. Dugup-Eorid - Hearth troops

3. Saxnotas - The lord's life guard

4. Ceorlas - Saxon Keel

5. Cnithe - Noble cavalry

6. Comitatus - Noble infantry

7. Waldmanne - Hunters

8. Hridraskara - Sea raider

9. Hundradeflocc - levy spearmen

10. Angonwerpara

11. Jugup-Eorid

12. Geburas - peasant levies

Edited by Mega Mania
  • Like 1

In my honest opinion, Anglo Saxon can only be some sort of mini faction instead of major faction for they lack a permanent standing army and they have a poor logistics which was a serious problem if a player wants to launch a full scale war.

If anyone wish to know more about the Anglo Saxons please visit: http://www.angelcynnreenactmentsociety.org.uk/home or http://www.regia.org

Edited by Mega Mania

i explain it:

we should put as rome three ages:

* Early Germania, we put Cheruschi, the tribe of Arminius, and this tribe was after arminius victory a regional superpower, during 22 years, and after a big power on germania.

* Medium Germania, we put the Marcomanni, this tribe was a true germanic empire!, duruing the marcomannian wars was a true challenge, here we don't use spearmen, we use swordsmen!

* Late Germania, we put Goths this tribes were a true superpower!

http://www.historyfiles.co.uk/KingListsEurope/BarbarianCherusci.htm

Marcomanni wasn't a superpower it was a confederation of tribes rather than a single tribes made up of clans.

Indeed, without the Goths there will be no modern Spain, but unfortunately i think Goths should be a major faction not the Cherusci or Marcomanni and i strongly support the Goths as a major faction.

Edited by Mega Mania