Germanic faction(s)

Arnthor

The Gauls emerge around the 5th century BC as the bearers of the La Tène culture north of the Alps (spread across the lands between the Seine, Middle Rhine and upper Elbe). By the 4th century BC, they spread over much of what is now France, Switzerland, Southern Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic by virtue of controlling the trade routes along the river

540px-Gaul%2C_1st_century_BC.gif

Map of northeastern Gaul around 70 AD

747px-Germania_70.svg.png

references:

http://www.wikipedia.org/

Edited by greycat

germanicitizens.png

By the way, I'm living in Germany close to the river Rhine where the limes once was (border wall of the romans to protect themselves against the 'barbarians').

I just wanted to mention that the above picture is unrealistic: The women don't really look that good around here! ;):D

• Like 2

By the way, I'm living in Germany close to the river Rhine where the limes once was (border wall of the romans to protect themselves against the 'barbarians').

I just wanted to mention that the above picture is unrealistic: The women don't really look that good around here! ;):)

Historical fiction? :)

i'd recommend a fourth German faction to be included: the Anglo-Saxons

also, i'm a tad confused: is the 1-500ad game going to be a completely separate sequel, or will it be a sequel expansion to teh first one? if nothing else, it would make for interesting scenario design, with the 500-1bc Athenians being used specifically for a map set in Athens during the Byzantine period

• Like 1

the way i've seen it, random maps with player-versus-player or player-versus-computer aren't supposed to be historical, especially if you consider that some civs which never encountered one another are already in the game together (for example, the Britons never met the Mauryans). just because civs don't make sense when it comes to geography and chronology wouldn't make those civs less historical as a self-contained culture in the game. besides, the game already takes place in the fictional Year 0 ;)

i'd recommend a fourth German faction to be included: the Anglo-Saxons

also, i'm a tad confused: is the 1-500ad game going to be a completely separate sequel, or will it be a sequel expansion to teh first one? if nothing else, it would make for interesting scenario design, with the 500-1bc Athenians being used specifically for a map set in Athens during the Byzantine period

Hi. :)

"The Anglo-Saxons were the population in Britain partly descended from the Germanic tribes who migrated from continental Europe and settled the south and east of the island beginning in the early 5th century".

wikipedia

There were confederations or groups of tribes in the timeline .i.e. The Franks, Suebi and more nomadic groups like the The Visigoths and Ostrogoths referred to collectively as the Goths.

Edited by greycat

Ok ok, we need know where Europa Barbarorum. Sourced their names.

Example : The Dugunthiz, Jugunthiz... Gaizoz Frije, herthaganautoz...

I found some page where explain that but, I want other sources and see if found more.

The Etymology of some names for our game is very important.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=youth

-------------

Old English scield, scild "shield; protector, defense," literally "board," from Proto-Germanic *skelduz (cf. Old Norse skjöldr, Old Saxon skild, Middle Dutch scilt, Dutch schild, German Schild, Gothic skildus), from *skel- "divide, split, separate," from PIE root *(s)kel- (1) "to cut" (see scale (n.1)). Perhaps the notion is of a flat piece of wood made by splitting a log. Shield volcano (1911) translates German Schildvulkan (1910). Plate tectonics sense is from 1906, translating Suess (1888).

Old English spere, from Proto-Germanic *speri (cf. Old Norse spjör, Old Saxon, Old Frisian sper, Dutch speer, Old High German sper, German Speer "spear"), from PIE root *sper- "spear, pole" (cf. Old Norse sparri "spar, rafter," and perhaps also Latin sparus "hunting spear").

Interesting not?

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/factions_sweboz_units.html

And we need for units and some evolutions. And Alemanni units.

Suebi:

1. Juwúnga Frankaz

2. Franka Gathesaz

3. Wilthijaz Bairaz

4. Furmas Thundaz

5. Austa Sachsaz

6. Swartas Skelthús

7. Herthaganautoz

8. Semnone Sachsaz

9. Wudumánnoz

10. Liukhmaniz Húsaz

11. Thunoraz Húsaz

The names are good, thanks

The Suebi or Suevi (from Proto-Germanic *swēbaz based on the Proto-Germanic root *swē- meaning “one’s own” people, from an Indo-European root *swe-, the third person reflexive pronoun) were a group of Germanic peoples who were first mentioned by Julius Caesar in connection with Ariovistus' campaign, c. 58 BC; Ariovistus was defeated by Caesar.

This is a dictionary of reconstructed Proto-Germanic including rich etymological data.

http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/pdf/pgmc_torp/pgmc_torp_20061216.pdf

thats more good, because is older, maybe the oldest source that we have, we should use it

I just wanted to mention that the above picture is unrealistic: The women don't really look that good around here! ;):D

Excuseme, what errors i have?

i use the 0AD's, celt female support, please show me the errors about it.

i gonna explain this units, please correct me:

* Druides

* Trader

* Females "what we need modify of this units for do more realistic"?

But and if Persian empire did end or fall, or Sparta defeats Macedon or Carthage wins

Punic wars, how the world changes. Carthaginian Empire expands into Rhine River after defeats Romans in the Siege of Rome.

Thinks XD.

the civs are basically plucked from their respective times to one place anyway :P again, what's REALLY historical about this is that the civs themselves are accurate. besides, wouldn't it get REALLY boring REALLY fast if, for example, you were FORCED to only play against the Romans if you were the Britons? or ONLY against the Macedonians if you were the Mauryans, which is already inaccurate as the Mauryans postdated Alexander iirc?

alternate history in the classical period is definitely something i'd take a vested interest in as far as this game is concerned, like if Hannibal successfully conquered Rome for instance. but only as custom scenarios ;)

Hi. :)

"The Anglo-Saxons were the population in Britain partly descended from the Germanic tribes who migrated from continental Europe and settled the south and east of the island beginning in the early 5th century".

wikipedia

There were confederations or groups of tribes in the timeline .i.e. The Franks, Suebi and more nomadic groups like the The Visigoths and Ostrogoths referred to collectively as the Goths.

i'd say the Anglo-Saxons would be able to coast by on sheer popularity and recognition ;) i'm also of teh opinion that Part 2 civs should more or less "match" ones from Part 1, and the Anglo-Saxons really ARE the best 1-500ad match for the Britons ;)

Edited by oshron

Against Minifaction or Subfaction Romano-Britano, can be legendary ;).

The goths are other interestating , I csn I wait the Huns vs goths and Romans forces.

Or Huns vs Sassanid.

The mercenary foederati can be see so cool. I think Honorius Is one worst commanders of all time, check Roman Empire at 400 AD. Vs 460 AD.

But the Xenofobia against Germans and other cultures provoques the fall. Is truth Romans were in decline.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

There is no German because Germani meat authentuic Celt (Strabo Greek geographer, philosopher and historian.)

According to Strabo, the Romans introduced the name Germani, because the Germanic tribes were the authentic Celts (γνησίους Γαλάτας).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strabo

It us also backed up by modern Archeology(see link below).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glauberg

Hallstatt_LaTene.png

It explains why Germanic tribes often had Celtic names. Dio Cassius (155-225 AD) says that the Suebi (a German tribe deeper in Germany) "dwell across the Rhine - though many cities elsewhere claim their name - " ...they were anciently called Celts."

The original Celtic homeland was an area of Austria, near southern Germany. From here they expanded over much of continental Europe and Britain.

http://fsos.com/celtic_history.htm

Edited by greycat

well i think that would depend. are we using authentic indigenous names for the other already playable factions? did the Macedonians actually call themselves "Macedonians" or did they use "Makedonians" or some other form of it? did the Romans call themselves Romans or did they use "Roma", for instance? (not to be confused with the Romanies, or Gypsies, who also use "Roma" to refer to themselves)

I see your point...

It would have to be second hand information at best. Since we wouldn't have any writings about the subject by indigenous people.

I'm not sure stylistically it would work well, either. Furthermore, while there is a reason to, say, translate "Spearman" into each civilization's language, to make it more unique, there is no need to that to each civilization's name, since that is already unique anyway.

well i think that would depend. are we using authentic indigenous names for the other already playable factions? did the Macedonians actually call themselves "Macedonians" or did they use "Makedonians" or some other form of it? did the Romans call themselves Romans or did they use "Roma", for instance? (not to be confused with the Romanies, or Gypsies, who also use "Roma" to refer to themselves)

At the moment we seem to be using a mixture of Roman names to describe both places and people and at other times using indigenous names. i.e. Gauls=Roman name, Celts=Celtic name.

"who in their own language are called Celts(,Celtae) in ours Gauls(Galli)"

Julius Caesar

Maybe we should make this less confusing?

Edited by greycat

Evidence?

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germania

Germani

Germania (Greek: Γερμανία) was the Greek and Roman term for the geographical regions inhabited mainly by peoples considered to be Germani.

At least as early as the 2nd century BC this area was considered to be in "Gaul", and became part of the Roman empire.

Edited by greycat