French language

Hello,

I appreciate 0ad and I started the French translation since r11863. To date, the r13878 is finished (with some details). By maximum 2 days (time to upgrade to r13872), I wanted to share it on launchpad for a return of French players, but ... with only public-en.zip (or update-en.zip) placed in /mods/public/, I bug to transmit these files to launchpad (the deb. works fine locally).

Someone could help me to create the first package (rules, source.change ...) ?

Thank you,
Loki72

To the attention of Gallaecio, and those interested.

After requesting this assistance to put on my Launchpad French translations - mainly r13332 and r13828 (r13872 would be ready in less than 2 hours, even say 30 minutes), translations completed about 98% - in zip of 7MB, including more than 800 modified files ... Lion.Kanzen and fabio redirects me to https://www.transife...-ad-unofficial/.

I give these few data, because I wonder what method you intend to use for internationalized 0AD, which from my point of view (with changes that include files) should be part of the alpha versions.

If you could give me some information, it would be nice, because my offer translations had aimed to have a user feedback to improve it so that they are suitable when the developers will implement internationalization.

I'm not against the fact that all my data back on your site, but I'd be sure not to spend hours to something as temporary thing that my zip.

So I can share with you my views on what should be the 0ad internationalization, remaining humble, because I only describe the widespread application system like Joomla.

To the shortest:

It is necessary that anyone to translate the application (from the English), and as easily as possible, so that it will spread as quickly and in as many languages ​​as possible.

Applications with multiple versions, 0ad also evolving rapidly, these translations must be specific to each version, and should be able to update a simple "merge" (which I did with my 800 files).

The easiest way in my opinion (the joomla example) and provides other advantages solution is to replace all the texts present in the xml, by "variables", and transcribe all these variables in simple ini files, which simply look like:

Applications with multiple versions, 0ad also evolving rapidly, these translations must be specific to each version, and should be able to update a simple "merge" (which I did with my 800 files).

The easiest way in my opinion (the joomla example) and provides other advantages solution is to replace all the texts present in the xml., By "variables", and transcribe all these variables in simple ini files whose syntax is very simple and look like:

MAINMENU_SINGLEPLAYER_LABEL="Solo"

MAINMENU_SINGLEPLAYER_TOOLTIP="Défiez l'ordinateur dans un match en solo."

and consolidate all ini in a directory [public.zip]/language/en-EN for example, that contains an XML description language for the setup menu of the game.

In fact, I've done some tests quickly, very quickly, but the XML parser does not like me.

I do not think there is easier and faster for internationalization (may be less convenient for developers by against).

For the "other advantages" that I mentioned earlier, I think the most important is to prevent cheaters to go change as the cost of building, the power of this unit ... Because, in my opinion, it is not because 0ad is free (sources), than the final files do not have to be coded. The worst thing that could happen to 0ad is to become THE biggest RTS out there, but players who abandoned because they no longer bear to see a monster truck come crashing their peasants (which happened to me several both AOM).

For the "other advantages" that I mentioned earlier, I think the most important is to prevent cheaters to go change as the cost of building the power of this unit ... Because, in my opinion, it is not because 0ad is free (sources), than the final files do not have to be coded. The worst thing that could happen to 0ad is to become THE biggest RTS out there, but players who abandoned because they no longer bear to see a monster truck come crashing their peasants (which happened to me several both AOM).

We could imagine a checksum of "sensitive" files to launch a multi-player game ... but that's another topic.

In short, for the internationalization, what do you think ?

PS: sorry for my english very "rough" as google translate trying to help.

Edited by Loki72

I just finished reading the two links fablio gave me, which is very interesting. The involvement of Transifex seems less "unofficial" as it seemed, and you seem to master your subject.

I fast sorry, I have an appointment, but I would look at it when I return (join the group of French translation ...).

I made a request to join members of transifex French translator, if you can ....

... we crossed us :)

I'll start slowly over time to see what looks like the editor, but at first glance it should be chained fast enough. My translation is already own (in game), and I am content with my 800 files properly stored in a table OpenOffice, so it remains to "copy".

For cons, I took some liberties by reducing sentences too "heavy" (without losing the meaning.) The objective is not to translate word for word, I can send it as is?

Edited by Loki72

Plop, hadn't seen this topic, that way we can meet properly =)

If you want to contact me to work together on the translation, feel free !

Plop, pas vu le topic, mais comme ça on peut se présenter =)

Si tu veux me contacter pour harmoniser nos traductions, n'hésite pas !

PS : Par curiosité, d'où viens-tu ? Tu vis en France actuellement ?

Plop Itms (Plop ? ... les bovins :))

If you want us to work together on the translation, no problem for me, but not wanting forgotten nothing in the transcript of mine on TRANSIFLEX I just started again, keeping your side when it seemed best, by a summary of our two occurrences when there was a good idea in two or offering mine in another (some remained empty). In fact, I started to consolidate existing. I finished this night to the term 200 (the end of manual).

Before making a small return, I have a small question:

1 - What Version of 0ad we translate? I think at least the r13878, but I noticed some differences. Is this the last update r13872 PPA of "0 AD Development Snapshots" or we work in parallel to the trunk, or something else?

Here are two differences that I noticed on the manual. In TRANSIFLEX be missing (unless I have not seen):

Occurrences: gui/manual/intro.txt:6 (the introductory paragraph of the Graphics settings)

You can switch between fullscreen and windowed mode by pressing Alt+Enter. In windowed mode, you can resize the window. If the game runs too slowly, you can change some settings in the configuration file: look for binaries/data/config/default.cfg in the location where the game is installed, which gives instructions for editing, and try disabling the "fancywater" and "shadows" options.

Edit:
added to Transiflex by ltms

Occurrences: gui/manual/intro.txt:30 (the introductory paragraph of the Game setup)

First, select whether you want to play on a random map (created automatically from a random map script) or a scenario (created by a map designer). Scenarios can be filtered to show only some maps. The default maps are shown immediately, but custom maps are often not so select "All maps" to see a list of all available maps. Then select a map to play on. The "techdemo" maps are designed for testing particular gameplay features and are probably not generally useful.

Edit:
added to Transiflex by ltms

I think an omission, because for the latter, we find out the following paragraph that starts with "Finally", he finds himself at the beginning of this chapter :

Finally change the settings. For random maps this includes the number of players, the size of a map, etc. For scenarios you can only select who controls which player (decides where you start on the map etc). The options are either a human player, an AI or no player at all (existing units will attack enemies that come into sight, but no new units will be created, nor will the units be sent to attack anyone).

It is still possible that these occurrences emerge later in the list (I noticed that the order of this list was different from the order of the occurrences in the files), but doubt, I prefer to avoid.

I thought I noticed that you could manually add occurrences, but not controlling the process that recovers (automatic if I understand), I leave the Gallaecio care to see this.

2 - How to get work done on TRANSIFLEX in order to test it in game? I intend to change my public-fr.zip and update-fr.zip according to improvements made via TRANSIFLEX, but the process may be laborious to maintain. It seems that Gallaecio maintains a github repository, but it certainly implies a compilation ... Brief can you tell us more?

-----------------------------------

Else in connection with this manual. In the French version of what I did, I change the file gui/manual/intro.txt to make the code more readable (more maintainable), and improve the appearance of the manual in. I put chapter titles in color (orange), added to some of • subchapter, and inserted spaces to aerate a little mass of information.

Concretely:

the original code:

[font="serif-bold-16"]Hotkeys:
[font="serif-bold-14"]Always
[font="serif-14"]Alt+F4: Close the game, without confirmation
Alt + Enter: Toggle between fullscreen and windowed
~ or F9: Show/hide console

give:

[font="serif-bold-16"][color="orange"]Hotkeys:

• [font="serif-bold-14"][color="white"]Always[font="serif-14"]

Alt+F4: Close the game, without confirmation

By against, to avoid what Gallaecio said in another topic ("tags" can be found in the extracted terms to be translated), it may be preferable to use the form:

[font="serif-bold-16"][color="orange"]
Hotkeys:
[font="serif-bold-14"][color="white"]
• Always
[font="serif-14"]
Alt+F4: Close the game, without confirmation

In Game, this gives original/modified:

post-15531-0-21618300-1379869331_thumb.j post-15531-0-44484600-1379869339_thumb.j

This modified version of intro.txt (in english) for r13828 : intro.txt

If anyone can offer this small improvement to developers, thank you in advance, if not, I'll open another topic.

-----------------------------------

Itms, speaking of this, did you play in French? subsidiary question, are you in ubuntu (whether I resumed my idea of ​​Launchpad repository so that we can easily enjoy our work), or so I can always join my zip about it so that you can recover.

PS : Yes, I'm at Le Mans (France). And you're like me you nocture or Quebec ? :)

Edited by Loki72

1) We are actually translating a custom Gallaecio version which allows him making more consistent his work on the internationalization system (he shall typically use our translations to test whether it is working and creates no problem on screen)

I translated the paragraph from gui/manual/intro.txt this morning, so I think it is not missing in Transiflex ! ^_^

2) It surely does imply a compilation, but I didn't intent to do it, I let Gallaecio work on it (he shall explain us how to do when it's ready)

-------------

--> PM !

1) (He Shall Typically use our translations to test Whether it is working and Creates no problem on screen) = there will inevitably be problems of space for text. In my translation, I had to resize windows to the French translation does not exceed (longer than English phrases). I have all this data in an OpenOffice table, I could provide.

I saw that you were connected at the same time I had to board the manual.txt right behind you ;)

2) Ok, I suspected as much. I read on a topic that developer advised him to work on a parallel branch trunk. You do not have the FR version that we are putting in place to TRANSIFLEX :(

Tell me what to 0ad release you use, and I will spend the /mods/public-fr.zip to translate it in French, I will update based on our progress.

Ok, for the translation of update versions I maintains, I was aware that it was out of date every week. So I'm going to SVN too, it will be ready as soon as possible after the release of alpha.

Time to see how on ubuntu (I only know turtoise with XP), and we'll talk. Quick question: this is the sources you collected by SVN ? It is necessary to recompile every time?

PS: topic drift and will quickly become irrelevant (I intended to keep that one can make returns on the French translation, Launchpad - the idea has not left me, and TRANSIFLEX. We should continue discussing our "out of context" in PM, effectively (it will always be faster in French than google translate ^_^ )

It is necessary to recompile every time?

It depends on what kind of changes there have been. If it's just sound files (.ogg), or art files (.dae, .png), or Javascript files, or XMLs there's no reason to recompile. Or another way to look at it, if the update info only shows changes in /binaries/data there should be no need to recompile :) (I hope I'm correct, but at least as far as I know there shouldn't be any files in there which would require a recompile when they have been changed.)

Feedback Transifex :

The string "none" (https://www.transife...public/16628371) can be 'male or feminine'. It will translate :

"Aucun" into : binaries/data/mods/public/gui/aiconfig/aiconfig.js:9

"Aucune" into : binaries/data/mods/public/gui/gamesetup/gamesetup.js:7

...................... binaries/data/mods/public/gui/gamesetup/gamesetup.js:292

Unaudited for : binaries/data/mods/public/gui/session/menu.js:267

For the French language (inter alia), so we need 2 two separate strings for "none"

-------------------------------------------

There are 2 different strings for the description of the Theater, then there is no major difference.

- Constructing an expensive Theatron increases the territory expanse of all buildings by 25%.

- Constructing a Theatron increases the territory expanse of all buildings by +25%.

This description should be common in .json files of: Athenians, Hellenes, Macedonians, Spartans and Thebans, and have only one string in Transiflex.

The translation of the string https://www.transife...public/16628388, causes an error because a "%..." is identified as a function :

Metal mining gathering rates increased by +10% for each passing age.

This error will prevent the registration of all translations do not contain the term % f

ditto for : https://www.transife...public/16628394 etc ...

There are 2 different strings for the history of the Delian League, then there is a minor difference.

- Shortly after the great naval victories at Salamis and Mykale, the Greek city-states instituted the so-called Delian League in 478 BC, whose purpose was to push the Persians out of the Aegean region. The allied states contributed ships and money, while the Athenians offered their entire navy.

- Shortly after the great naval victories at Salamis and Mykale, the Greek city-states instituted the so-called Delian League in 478 B.C., whose purpose was to push the Persians out of the Aegean region. The allied states contributed ships and money, while the Athenians offered their entire navy.

This description should be common in .json files of: Athenians and Hellenes, and have only one string in Transiflex.

There are 2 different strings for the history of the Long Walls, then there is a minor difference.

- The Long Walls of Athens were constructed under the auspices of the wily Themistokles and extended 6 km from the city to the port of Piraeus. This secured the city's sea supply routes and prevented an enemy from starving out the city during a siege.

- The Long Walls of Athens were constructed under the auspices of the wily Themistocles and extended 6 km from the city to the port of Piraeus. This secured the city's sea supply routes and prevented an enemy from starving out the city during a siege.

I find this string only in athen.json (the 2nd had to appear since r13828), ... but should have only one string in Transiflex.

Edited by Loki72

Nothing,

I had noticed a lot of things when I was translating for me, but without the report, and being unable to remember today. So much take advantage of the transcription Transiflex where these incoherences reappear to do.

By against, to duplicate strings I note, it should be good to ask that a single format is used (= request to update the sources) to no longer find them in future releases.

I have since found other, but this topic is not adequate for that. Where can I get it ?

Regarding % f, that is a known limitation of Transifex. You can download the French translation for offline translation as a PO file, edit the translation in an editor such as PoEdit or Localize, and then upload the translation. This will allow you to bypass this limitation.

I’ve noted the rest of the feedback.

• Like 1

Regarding where to provide feedback, it’s up to you. Right now, possible places are:

• Here, in the forums, in this thread or a new thread. It’s not that bad a place.

• In Transifex. One of you two reported the None issue there and I got that report as well.

• In my Github’s Issue tracker.

As soon as the internationalization implementation is up, though, we should use 0 A.D.’s Trac.

By the way, feel free to report size issues as well. The current GUI implementation is not the best, and I don’t think it would be easy to make things adapt to text size, but we can always simply make things bigger :)

• Like 1

Ok, thanks

- I had not thought of trac (for spelling ...). Tickets are certainly the best way to be seen.

- For "% f" or others, I would download/modify/upload (well, I'll try)

- And if you receive a report on the comments that I post on Transiflex (like the "none"), I would pass by there to Transiflex internal problems.

• Like 1