Fix for our skeletons in the upcoming Blender?

wraitii

I'm opening a topic at last for an issue that we discovered a long time ago and that might finally be resolved (opening it to remember to check that it's actually fixed).

The issue is that our old collada armatures don't load up nicely in Blender. A change in 2.68 should have fixed this, however now 2.68 can't load those old armatures. A ticket for that has been opened on the Blender Bug Report.

Latest update is that it's been closed after a report that "I was getting the same crash with 2.68 on linux64 (whichever revision was packaged with Fedora 19), but the same model imported fine with the latest nightly build. So this issue has probably already been fixed."

Ticket is here.

I recommend we try again with Blender 2.69 to see if:

A- our armatures load up

B- they load up nicely.

• Like 2

If this works, that would be amazing news! Thank you very much for reminding, wraiti. This bug kept me away from eperimenting with the 0-A.D.-3d-models with Blender. Would be great to have that possibility without big issues like the collada-blender-integration one.

Edited by Almin

Thanks for keeping on top of this, wraitii. Do we have an ETA for 2.69?

You can try the daily builds now: http://builder.blender.org/download/

In brief testing, I was able to import several of our animations and models successfully in the latest build. A few of the animations (camel and one of the infantry fighting) looked good, some (deer running) did not. I'll leave it to people who actually understand Blender to do more testing :)

You can try the daily builds now: http://builder.blender.org/download/

In brief testing, I was able to import several of our animations and models successfully in the latest build. A few of the animations (camel and one of the infantry fighting) looked good, some (deer running) did not. I'll leave it to people who actually understand Blender to do more testing :)

Did some testing with the 2.69 testbuild (bipeds and elephant_forest) and the armatures seems to import better than before (bone orientation seems decent), but still broken:

- Missing bones

- Unasigned vertex groups (probably belongs to the missing bones)

- Ridiculously downscaled bones, while others are imported correctly

- Bones just go crazy when the animation plays (seems better on elephant_forest, probalby because the mesh/exporter is newer?)

On the bright side:

- New exported animations are imported correctly (except bone scaling wich seems to be random)

- Animation seems to play propperly (need more testing)

@historic_bruno: Could you point me to the infatry fighting animation that played good to you?

• 1 month later...

Tried again with 2.69. There's definitely an issue with our existing animations.

New armatures now export more correctly, there is however still an issue with branching bones (see picture). This usually will break IK. This is probably the thing that makes importing our existing armatures slightly broken, too.

Animations would probably work mostly right, but because of above weirdness it'll bug.

This might be a limitation of the Collada format, though…

post-9128-0-43008600-1383992272_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this thread since I'm a max user, and I may be able to export to blender-friendly format the skeletons, if provided with the max files.

I'm also able to find a 3dsmax 6 version which I believe was the one used by the devs. I could by then use their pmd importer to convert them.

It's a good effort you've put in. Perhaps we'll get them out eventually. Is there any reason we couldn't make one from scratch if we had the same bones with the same names and constraints?

It seems that bone data is lost when exported from max => Imported back to blender. That or just each program exporter handles the bone/armature data differently when exporting/importing.

There has been already attempts to recreate the armature in blender from scratch. I've tried myself three times and Jason tried once that I can remember, but I think that things like bone roll/orientation is what makes the armature do crazy things. I'll try to recreate it one last time, but I have to admit that after putting so much time in this task and trying every single thing I could, I've lost hope that we can get an armature compatible with the current units in blender. That reduces new unit animations to animators using max, or recreate every single animation we already have with a new armature in blender.