Upkeep cost and strategy improvement

king_garabito

Hi

Well i was thinking on sharing this idea, i'm sure that i am not the first one suggesting this but some changes on how the resources are expended may add originality to the game.

upkeep cost system:

I think that maybe the food resource should be the one that rules over a couple of things:

1- The unit creation speed. Understood as the time it takes for a unit to be created in the buildings.

2- The population max capacity size. Understood as the maximum number of units a civilization can own.

This would add a lot of realism to the game and make it more original and unique, not to mention the strategic gain.

It would open a new set of options in the commerce and economy aspect of the game, and may make the game less a "create and send to die/kill unit" game.

Regards

I will take the credit for the food thing at least. :P

It looks interesting so you do not have to expend food on units but iron and gold, and it adds quite realism so you can have the population that you can actually feed, and when you have more than you need it can boost the unit creation time.

I have not seen this on another RTS game before.

Edited by king_garabito

That my point Crooker , if the game have a Base of a RTS all basic gameplay must be that template, what is our template?

Age of Kings. And upkeep is not fit for Age of Kings. A game that have upkeep.is Spartan Wars. Base of that game are blizzards game.

Whst happens when a game don't have a defined base? Ruin the game.

Upkeep

o really? how?

Unlike Warcraft 3, 0 AD have something that Warcraft 3 don't have: logistics and attrition. If upkeep was introduced, then there would be no space for logistics anymore. Unlike 0 AD, the resources was simple only gold and wood exist, and all it deducts is the gold that a player receive from the gold mine when they reach a certain number of population. Imagine what will it be when you introduce it to 0 AD, deducting food? metal? stone? wood or all of the resources you harvest?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...