Idea: ability to mine Rubble

Ryze

My idea is this: when a building is destroyed, its rubble should not be just a temporary "eye candy", it should be a "mine" of sorts...

Imagine:

- An enemy attacks a city (not his opponent's only city, for the sake of argument..) and manages to completely destroy it and "dominate" the surrounding region.

He should be able to utilise the materials that can be found in the former city's rubble to construct the new one. The resources that one could "mine" from a rubble should be a fraction 'X' of the destroyed building's cost 'Y'.

- An enemy attacks a city and manages to destroy a few buildings before being defeated. The defender should be able to rebuild those buildings or reutilise its resources...

What do you think? Interesting or unnecessarily complicated?

I think that it would reduce the frustation of defender if he knew that he didn't have to micromanage the reconstruction of his city after an attack (the reconstruction of towers and walls in particular come to mind...).

On the other hand, it would reward the attacker if he managed to completely destroy the city, allowing him to build a new city at cheaper cost. The downside would be the fact that he would have to literally "clear the rubble before rebuilding", granting the former owner some time to recapture the lost city.

A portion of the rubble is already mined by default it is just not shown ATM to avoid that micro-management issue.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Wow. Really? How does it work?

What are the condition for it to happen and how does the game determine who gets the resources?

P.S.: I still think there should be some 'physical' rubble :P

To clarify what Loki1950 said a bit: each time a building is destroyed (or a unit killed) the one destroying it automatically gets a small amount of resources (representing the resources which could be mined/looted from the building/unit) in return.

I see. It is, essencially, 'looting'. While it IS a nice ideia, you could use both ideas: yours could represent the soldiers that gather all precious goods available (gold and food, with the amounts dependent of the building type) and mine would represent what I said above. Both ideas can complement each other rather well.

A portion of the rubble is already mined by default it is just not shown ATM to avoid that micro-management issue.

Besides, I disagree with the micromanagement issue: it would only force the invader to dedicate more resources to the resettlement of new cities.

Basically, it is a gameplay issue: the invader has to properly secure the region in order to take advantage of the resources. It also gives the defender time to recapture the region if he's able to (and the abilty to more easily rebuild it). I think the gameplay choices it offers counters the few micromanagement issues that it causes.

Edited by Ryze

The way rubble is implemented now, it can't be more than a visual effect. That could be changed, but personally I am glad not to have to worry about mining rubble, even though I can see how it might appeal to some people :)

But I would say it's hard to notice looting, so it's not surprising that people don't know about it. There's no looting animation and it's not indicated in the UI. What if we added some visual indicator when looting happens (we could do the same for XP gain), maybe a brief particle appearing above the rubble or some kind of overlay, showing the amount and type of loot? Like: "stone_small.png+10"

Yeah, we should definitely do that. Not really sure how it should look though. I think it would be nice if it rose up a bit and then disappeared.

maybe a brief particle appearing above the rubble or some kind of overlay, showing the amount and type of loot? Like: "stone_small.png +10"

If we did it, maybe up more toward the top ribbon where the resource treasury is, rather than in the game world? Less obstruction of the immersion.
  • Like 1

If we did it, maybe up more toward the top ribbon where the resource treasury is, rather than in the game world? Less obstruction of the immersion.

That is indeed all that would be needed and maybe an other entry in the resource summary page detailing either a percentage or discrete value for each of the resource type,for those of us that are into economic stats and their effects.

• Like 1

The way rubble is implemented now, it can't be more than a visual effect. That could be changed, but personally I am glad not to have to worry about mining rubble, even though I can see how it might appeal to some people :)

But I would say it's hard to notice looting, so it's not surprising that people don't know about it. There's no looting animation and it's not indicated in the UI. What if we added some visual indicator when looting happens (we could do the same for XP gain), maybe a brief particle appearing above the rubble or some kind of overlay, showing the amount and type of loot? Like: "stone_small.png+10"

Liking my idea depends on how you think the gameplay should be, so I understand that some people don't like it that much.

That being said, when you say that you like to not "worry about mining rubble", what kind of game scenario are you imagining? You're the attacker or the defender? Because I think that, as a defender, it is a godsend. After all, I did say that the defender should have the option to 'rebuild' in addition to simply 'mine' the rubble.

The attacker, on the other hand, would have to mine the rubble before building in that place. That would add to his micromanagement, indeed. But, given that it would be a gameplay decision, I think that it would be a FUN micromanagement.

that happens when you destroy a castle and the Ai build them immediately over it the rubble. illogical XD or a farm. i agree with this guy :)

I'm glad you like it xD

P.S.: I agree with the addition of a looting animation. I would have never noticed that 'looting' exists if you hadn't told me...

Edited by Ryze