===[TASK]=== Differentiating Britons and Gauls

Mythos_Ruler

The ones in my screenshots uses object color, an option in the actor editor which allows you to assign a color to the alpha channels. The game uses player_color as a standard, so that you can easily distinguish the ownership of units in the game. In-game player colors are highly saturated to make it very noticing to the players. You can create a mod for personal use that utilizes the object_color option, just like what I do. I assign multiple object color variants just like what I did in the screenshot below

celtslinger.jpg.7caef1b7ac83a72640cd2ef4ce556e80.jpg

Notice that the clothing colors are different? They use object_color variants, while I left the shields as how it was, using player_color so that I can still distinguish which units do I own in the field. I hope this helps. :)

• Like 4

@wackyserious Thanks a lot for your time and your explanations! Looks like too complicated for me anyway...I'd like to give it a try, but I'm afraid to break something in the game. Well, I'll just have to download it again if it happens. By the way, I saw your last upgrade picture, it's good but I still prefer the colours in page 6 of this topic: so colourful! So shimmering! So epic! :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedui

The country of the Aedui is defined by reports of them in ancient writings. The upper Loire formed their western border,[2] separating them from the Bituriges. The Saône formed their eastern border, separating them from the Sequani.[3] The Sequani did not reside in the region of the confluence of the Doubs into the Saône and of the latter into the Rhône, as Caesar says that the Helvetii, following the pass between the Jura Mountains and the Rhône southwards, which belonged to the Sequani, plundered the territory of the Aedui.[4] These circumstances explain an apparent contradiction in Strabo, who in one sentence says that the Aedui lived between the Saône and the Doubs, and in the next, that the Sequani lived across the Saône (eastward).[5] Both statements are true, the first in the south, and the second to the north.

Outside of the Roman province and prior to Roman rule, Independent Gaul was occupied by self-governing tribes divided into cantons, and each canton was further divided into communes. The Aedui, like other powerful tribes in the region (the Arverni, the Sequani, and the Helvetii),------

had replaced their monarchy with a council of magistrates called grand-judges. The grand-judges were under the authority of the senate. The senate was made up of the descendants of ancient royal families. Free men in the tribes were vassals to the heads of these families in exchange for military, financial and political interests:

According to Livy (v. 34), they took part in the expedition of Bellovesus into Italy in the 6th century BC.

The political system of the Aedui was essentially reformed according to indications in the Commentaries on the Gallic War. At the head of the Aedui state sat a senate comprising one member of each Aedui aristrocratic family. What is today called executive power was held by the vergobret, the supreme magistrate, who exercised his functions over the course of a year. He was forbidden from leaving the borders of the territory during this period, which prevented him from commanding the army outside the borders.[21] This measure, along with that which authorized only one voice per aristocratic family in the senate, aimed to prevent any individual or their family from monopolizing the reins of power. The vergobret was publicly elected by a council directed by the druids. Among the Aedui, it seems like the vergobret also exercised a judiciary role, since Caesar reports that he had "the right to life and death over his fellow citizens". Finally, it is thought that the vergobret was responsible for the administration of the territory.[21] Caesar adds that the druids were charged with this: "They believe that religion does not allow them to put the material of their education in writing, while for the rest in general, for public and private administrative acts, they used the Greek alphabet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibracte

image.thumb.png.bf0765eefd5bc7b2e1e36a624ac5904e.png

Celtic Warrior (Bataros) of the 3rd Century BC in Leather Linothorax

It's highly probable that Celts wore leather armour. The Linothorax (a modern term coined by archaeologists) was popularised by Peter Connolly, but because of the expensive and time consuming effort needed to make armour out of linen, it is highly likely that Greek (or Celtic) armours of this type were made of hardened leather as you say. Also these armours tended to be painted in many colours, and white was popular with the Greeks, so the Celtic types might have been similar in colour too.

Here's a richly decorated modern reconstruction of a Celtic 'Linothorax' (or Greek style cuirass) :

01.jpg

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?607479-Celtic-units/page2

Guérriers Gaulois (Assos Leuki & Orbis Terrarum)

http://ulfhednar.org/ausstattung/kelten/

Edited by Lion.Kanzen