===[TASK]=== Differentiating Britons and Gauls

Mythos_Ruler

@Enrique what do you think of wackyserious' textures ?

Here is some other stuff for differentiation taken from this topic 

Spoiler

Celt_Murus.png

Celt_Murus_Tower.png

Gaul_Infantry_A_Showcase2.pngGaulWonderFinal.pngscreenshot0220.png

last is from 

@wackyserious

You can find higher resolution of celt textures there

art_source\trunk\art\textures\skins\skeletal\old

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 2

The unit textures look great. We should add them. 

I can't check the differences of the current walls since my gfx card broke and can't replace until next month. Although they don't look like major changes.

The horse could benefit from ground-propped grass around it to maximize the blending over different ground textures. Also IIRC there were some issues with the below-ground part of the structure on uneven terrain.

The squared building may be historically accurate but it lacks artistic appeal everywhere imho.

Yesterday I went through the art repo and found some celt chainmail textures that were 256 and even 512, I'll try to post them here in case they can be useful for you. 

If in the picture you're asking about the helmets, it's a known must-fix caused by the new heads being smaller (will be taken care). Regarding the accuracy of those chainmails, I can't say much about it, but I can provide you with a high detail texture for it. 

These textures are 100% free to use, CC0. The last one is a high-res chainmail.

http://nobiax.deviantart.com/art/Commission-Medieval-textures-406572548

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Enrique said:

If in the picture you're asking about the helmets, it's a known must-fix caused by the new heads being smaller (will be taken care)

I just think if the helmet prop is move downward (just a little) and tilted forward (just a little) the helmets would look fine without extra work. Especially at RTS zoom and angle, the helmets being slightly too big is not problem, in fact many unit are identifiable by their helmets. But this may be because you are perfectionist you want a comprehensive fix, and I respect that Enrique. I just fear the additional work it will take from you when your immeeasurable talents can be of use elsewhere.

(In related, I think all Corinthian-style helmetss need remodeled to fit the new heads and not need the old "face head".)

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Left to Right: 1.) Old Millennium AD mail texture 2.) Current Millennium AD mail texture 3.) Briton champion mail texture 4.) Nobiax's (deviantArt) 5.) New one I did earlier, looks very similar to Nobiax's (Created via graphic software, method: painting/creating a single ring then placing multiplce overlapping rings in a dark background, similar method that I used for #2)

I'm not sure if I used the .tga file from Nobiax correctly.. (I just need to resize it to 1/4 of a 256x256, to have a nice scale, then assemble several pieces to fill the whole chainmail space right?)

celt-chainmail-var.jpg

Which ones should we use? I'm planning to add variants like, darker ones, plus, a.) Chainmail with no sleeves b.) One without the chainmail on the shoulders, those shoulder mail on top of the body mail (I don't know what those things are called)

• Like 3

Thanks!

By the scalemail do you mean the the 4th unit to the right, the one that uses the texture from deviantArt? Those were Nobiax's HQ chainmail texture, scaled to match 256x256 resolution, it does look like scale armor at first glance (I did the best I could to avoid losing the details when i downscaled it to 256x256)

I'll see if I can add wrinkle details to the cloth, I don't have my pen tablet with me at the moment, I'm only working with a mouse. (Maybe I could use the dude.psd cloth texture from art resource as a multiply layer to get its cloth wrinkle details)

Edited by wackyserious

14 hours ago, LordGood said:

haha he's great, but he does have a point, studded leather wouldnt do anything.

Except look nice, which is of grave concern to warriors everywhere (seriously).  lindybeigeis good but he forget or has blind spots. For example, using checkered and swirly patterns doesn't do anything either, but the Celts liked to use them (but the Romans did not, they liked wolf motifs and eagles and Greek key).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Except look nice, which is of grave concern to warriors everywhere (seriously).  lindybeigeis good but he forget or has blind spots. For example, using checkered and swirly patterns doesn't do anything either, but the Celts liked to use them (but the Romans did not, they liked wolf motifs and eagles and Greek key).

Can't save checkered swirly patterns to use for helmets or home goods can you? Bronze is a fairly rare and expensive metal