===[TASK]=== WONDER: Persians: Apadana of Darius

Mythos_Ruler

On 9/22/2020 at 8:00 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This is very handy.

It seems clear now that the Apadana should be upgraded to the Wonder. The columns are more visible than I thought (had to see the building from an "RTS" angle to make sure). The current Apadana special building could maybe be renamed to Tachara and still used for its current purpose or relegated to an Atlas structure

There is also https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/parsehpersepolis-3c0b8c6410cc486a98841f6685784e0b , which isn't perfect, but allows one to rotate and view the Persepolis terrace from different angles.

22 hours ago, MrLux said:

So...

Does the current model of the Apadana is enought for the wonder? It's was a bit on the small size.

No. Various Persian structure actors (apadana, civil_centre, gardens_struct, hall, palace, pers_ishtar_gate) are rather problematic and ought to be redesigned at some point, ideally. However, that's a lot of work.

6 minutes ago, MrLux said:

That's a nice model they did. It lacks artistic value but it's a good base.

I could say what's wrong on an artistic point of view about the persians buildings you mention, @Nescio . Could you elaborate or point where elaboration was already written ?

If we don't know how something looked like, then artistic licence is perfectly fine (e.g. Colossus of Rhodes). However, when a site is excavated and studied and when there are reliable sources, ground plans, photographs, reconstructions etc. available, then the structure in 0 A.D. should be based on that. The current apadana certainly isn't.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

I don't see what's wrong with the Ishtar gate 

Reconstruction of the Ishtar Gate in the Pergamon Museum Berlin:

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Pergamon_Museum_Berlin_2007110.jpg

Ishtar Gate in 0 A.D.:

Spoiler

IshtarGateIn0AD.thumb.png.299e318ff6f988ae85f498636307ca5f.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2020 at 12:00 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This is very handy.

251.png

It seems clear now that the Apadana should be upgraded to the Wonder. The columns are more visible than I thought (had to see the building from an "RTS" angle to make sure). The current Apadana special building could maybe be renamed to Tachara and still used for its current purpose or relegated to an Atlas structure

I like the ceiling, it is a different color.

That would add variety to the visual building.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 26/09/2020 at 6:59 AM, Nescio said:

No. Various Persian structure actors (apadana, civil_centre, gardens_struct, hall, palace, pers_ishtar_gate) are rather problematic and ought to be redesigned at some point, ideally. However, that's a lot of work.

I think the current "civil_centre" model should become the Tachara (aka "Winter Palace"), which replaces the current "Apadana" in function. Then, a new civil_centre modeled. 

Apadana (aka "The Palace of Darius") should 100% be the new wonder. The "Hanging Gardens" moved to Atlas status as a "Wonder of the World" that can be used for scenarios and a new "Capture the Wonder" game mode. 

So, to bullet point the proposed changes:

Wonder

• Current "Hanging Gardens" moved to Atlas-object status as a "Wonder of the World" that can be used for scenarios and a new "Capture the Wonder" game mode.
  • The new wonder is the Apadana, aka "Palace of Darius I." Needs a new model and perhaps some new textures (though many of the existing textures can be used as well).

Civic Center

• Redesigned with a new model.
  • Existing model now used for the Special Building.

Special Building

• Rechristened the Tachara, aka "Winter Palace," using the current civil centre model.
  • Has the same functions and features, just a different name and model.
  • The old model discarded. It's pretty much unusable.

"Hall"

• Perhaps some redesign and tweaking of the model. AO map for sure.

Ishtar Gate

• Moved to Atlas-object status as a "Wonder of the World" that can be used for scenarios and a new "Capture the Wonder" game mode.
  • Would be nice to be remodeled to be more elaborate, but the existing model can be used for now. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Carltonus said:

Don't forget the full Gate of All Nations model, @wowgetoffyourcellphone. If that will not be the future Wonder, will it be another special building for the hiring of the champion hoplite and skirmisher, an Atlas-only special building with the same purpose, or something else? The first two would work for the so-called "Hall"...

Gate of All Nations could be a part of the "Wonders of the World" roster in Atlas, that's also used in a "Capture the Wonder" game mode.

• Thanks 1