Atlas

greenlaser

I saw that the maps were working based on small squares, that get stretched to make height... This isn't very practical as you don't have much possibilities. I saw that you were talking of making pointy mountains, it might be easier to do it with layers of cubes like a pyramid and then smoothen it... wouldn't it be better to have a thing that makes layers of ''cubes'' to make the height. Then you could also make some structures by removing some cubes, and have an overhanging cliff if...you know what i mean...

I'm afraid it would require a re-design of about everything. Most basic components really expect that there's a square grid they can work with. So I guess nobody will bother with changing it.

The 'cubes' way of working also has a disadvantage, you need far more cubes to have the same smoothness of terrain, so maps would cost more memory, the height of a piece of ground would be harder to calculate and so on. Also, currently, maps don't save height information of an object in the world. They just expect it to be "on the ground". When you have two pieces of ground above each other, that won't work. Instead of cubes, it would even be better to work with completely free meshes, and I think it would cost even less work than your cubes, while being less CPU intensive.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry... i'm starting a "new" topic here...

in atlas, is there a possibility to create a "random map" or to load a pre-made map in order to make your own maps based on maps which are already playable?

(I loved this feature in the editors of AOE and AOK and missed it in the editor of AOE III)

i rather like to tweak maps more than having to make entirely new maps from the scratch.

thanks a lot!

sorry... i'm starting a "new" topic here...

in atlas, is there a possibility to create a "random map" or to load a pre-made map in order to make your own maps based on maps which are already playable?

(I loved this feature in the editors of AOE and AOK and missed it in the editor of AOE III)

i rather like to tweak maps more than having to make entirely new maps from the scratch.

thanks a lot!

Yes you can,

Here is a screen of the settings to make that happen. You can change the type of random map to generate in the drop-down list, the size of the map, and you have also the random seed there (typing a different number each time will generate a different map even with the same settings). Enjoy!

post-13528-0-66910300-1378214688_thumb.j

Yes you can,

Here is a screen of the settings to make that happen. You can change the type of random map to generate in the drop-down list, the size of the map, and you have also the random seed there (typing a different number each time will generate a different map even with the same settings). Enjoy!

post-13528-0-66910300-1378214688_thumb.j

thanks! i'm happy.