Hello/Hallo! Hoosier122 here/hier...

Just wanting to introduce myself.

I'm a college senior, who also works at a newspaper. I enjoyed all the AoE games growing up and was really frustrated with the lack of follow up games. I'm a big proponent of open-source and manage a few wikis and other projects.

Skill-wise, I do a lot okay, but nothing great. I learned C++ in high school, but haven't used it in college. Began as a CS major, was forced to learn Scheme and dropped the major. I'm a senior German and Journalism double-major currently. I'm alright in web design, graphic design (Photoshop), some video/sound editing (Audacity/Final Cut) and probably excel in data organization and manipulation (gathering information from websites and then organizing it into spreadsheets. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you need a complex topic researched and organized so it can be used by a database, I'm quite good at that. My German is conversational. I'm good a proof reading/copy editing/editing/puncuation/etc... in English, that is.

Anyway, that's me. I'd love to help with this game, if I could find a niche.

Glad to meet you all!

Ich glaube, dass alle Deutschsprachen hier auch in Englisch lesen können. Oder?

Edited by hoosier122

... and probably excel in data organization and manipulation (gathering information from websites and then organizing it into spreadsheets. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you need a complex topic researched and organized so it can be used by a database, I'm quite good at that. ...

In that case, you can maybe help with reference work gathering. A new faction is being designed now, and thus far, only the houses some shields are made. So there are still references needed for all other buildings (and units if possible). See this list: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Ptolemies

The most difficult about gathering these is that they should have an open license (which allows to created derived CC-BY-SA art). Work without open license is also ok, but can only be used as inspiration.

Or did I misunderstand that quality you have?

You can also help with testing patches. A lot of patches are awaiting review (see http://trac.wildfiregames.com/report/15), so even applying it and telling "it works", or "it doesn't work in this or that case" would be a help.

Glad to meet you all!

Ich glaube, dass alle Deutschsprachen hier auch in Englisch lesen können. Oder?

And I thought you were Dutch/Flemish when reading the title ;)

Hi hoosier, welcome to the forums. What do you think of the game, have you tried it?

I played last night on my laptop for a bit under default visual settings. My laptop is almost two years old with below average gaming abilities. It ran OK. I need to tweak some of the video settings for it to to be more playable.

I really love the theming and storylines. Some of the mechanics took some getting used to, but it has been a while since I've played AoE/AoK, etc...

In that case, you can maybe help with reference work gathering. A new faction is being designed now, and thus far, only the houses some shields are made. So there are still references needed for all other buildings (and units if possible). See this list: http://trac.wildfire...iv%3A_Ptolemies ...

Is there a guide, which further explains the file you linked? Is the text used by designers to make objects?

Are there style rules, which should be followed? I see some history descriptions that are very-well researched and then others which seem like the writer just "guessed."

How would I make sure the info fits the spirit/location/time period of the game?

Thanks!

ETA: I assume that is all edited through the Wiki, which I haven't really dug through... I should do that before asking these questions. Lol.

I found:

- Application form

- Getting started

Edited by hoosier122

I played last night on my laptop for a bit under default visual settings. My laptop is almost two years old with below average gaming abilities. It ran OK. I need to tweak some of the video settings for it to to be more playable.

I really love the theming and storylines. Some of the mechanics took some getting used to, but it has been a while since I've played AoE/AoK, etc...

Is there a guide, which further explains the file you linked? Is the text used by designers to make objects?

Are there style rules, which should be followed? I see some history descriptions that are very-well researched and then others which seem like the writer just "guessed."

How would I make sure the info fits the spirit/location/time period of the game?

Thanks!

Most references are gathered in a single thread (see http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16960 for the Ptolemies). The text is more used to decide what is to be modelled, not how it will look.

Making sure it fits the location/time is of course the responsibility of the documentation gatherer. The artist making the art based on the documentation will make sure the spirit is ok. And about the history descriptions, you're right, some are just guessed, basically because not a lot of info can be found on it. If you can find more info to make the descriptions better, please do.