New Icon and Logo (+a brief introduction)

@Palantius

I saw your logo and had an idea. I took it into gimp and made a quick and ugly prototype.

This logo contains 0 A D all in one. What do you think, good idea or not so good idea?

Edit: I don't actually know how to upload an image directly to this forum so here is a link to imgur.

http://i.imgur.com/0VqvXcZ.png

Edited by DerWer

I actually think it looks great! To make it easier to see the letters one must look at the holes, so with a good background that would emphasize the holes in some way, it could look really good. However, the current logo-design has been used for many years, so it might be a good idea to stick with it.

Here's an update:

post-15504-0-92763500-1379024212_thumb.p

Edited by Palantius

To be honest, I like the original logo because it has a more timeless look. The thick O and the detailed texture makes the logo too noisy/busy.

My opinions of logos are that they should be simple and recognizable without looking cheesy, kitsch, or a fad. Detailed art logos looks great on fan arts and desktop backgrounds, but they lack the timelessness to be official material.

That's not to say that you can't have high resolution logos. That's something I'm hoping for at the moment until a better logo appears. The texture of the O is too low res currently.

• Like 1

To be honest, I like the original logo because it has a more timeless look. The thick O and the detailed texture makes the logo too noisy/busy.

I agree.

Palantius, you're doing good work, but to me this kind of design evokes much more an action game such as first-person shooter Quake, especially with this tone of grey metal and the slight red light at the bottom, but also because of the thickness of it all. It feels heavy, which, I think, is not an adjective that defines 0 A.D. at all. The game is rather colorful, lightful and depicts a golden age, and I believe the logo ought to express that fully. I think the current logo works very well, but starting from it and detailing it could lead to improvements without changing its mood too much.

Yeah, that logo with the red reflect reminds me of DOOM's logo. Perhaps make the logo look like it was chiseled out of marble might be a fun idea. If not marble, then use a quality of some globalised material used for creating artwork in 0 ad. Then look at the artistic styles that come along with it.

Edited by Sighvatr

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last post, but that's because I've been quite busy lately. But now I at last got some time to spend on 0ad!

Well, now I see that the grey logo doesn't really really look that good. It's very easy too not see your work as it actually looks when your working on it, so feedback is really useful. Thanks!

I made another attempt, but it feels as if I'm running out of ideas. I hope that my tries at least could be used as examples for when someone else would like to give it a try. I think a painted logo could be quite interesting.

I'll also attach the project if anyone wants to play with it, but beware, I's quite messy!

logo.blend.zip

post-15504-0-54787300-1381790393_thumb.p

post-15504-0-26056700-1381790394.png

• Like 1

Thanks! :D

Made some changes, what do you think?

I must admit this gold material is gorgeous and is an improvement in comparison to the original 0AD logo.

Would you mind test some variation on your logo, giving it some details, etc ? I suggest giving it a bevel (a rather strong one) on each side of the ring, like on the original logo but slightly more.

I'm very curious about how that would look.

And could you post a larger image, to better enjoy the texture detail ?

Hello,

I thought that I would just try your idea ludo and reply when I was done with it. However, it seems that it might be a bit longer. Just want to say that I really think your idea is worth a try, and I'm working on it. But it might be some weeks until I can show anything though...

The reason being that (except for that I need to put it aside to get a fresh perspective on it) currently, the lightning has kind of two separate function: both to lighten the texture correctly and to lighten the shape (bevels) correctly. I The problem is that when I increase the bevel it's just a bright, one-colored bevel, and when I try to adjust the lightning to fix this, the texture looks worse. It's a tough situation... :-/

I always try to wait with replying until I got something to show, but sometimes I'm just to optimistic with the time, and I end up not replying at all in a very long time...

Edited by Palantius

Hello,

I thought that I would just try your idea ludo and reply when I was done with it. However, it seems that it might be a bit longer. Just want to say that I really think your idea is worth a try, and I'm working on it. But it might be some weeks until I can show anything though...

The reason being that (except for that I need to put it aside to get a fresh perspective on it) currently, the lightning has kind of two separate function: both to lighten the texture correctly and to lighten the shape (bevels) correctly. I The problem is that when I increase the bevel it's just a bright, one-colored bevel, and when I try to adjust the lightning to fix this, the texture looks worse. It's a tough situation... :-/

I always try to wait with replying until I got something to show, but sometimes I'm just to optimistic with the time, and I end up not replying at all in a very long time...

No worries dude, take the time it needs. :)

You're working on Blender, right ?