[RESOLVED] Game shuts down my computer

Major Bobbicus

I'm just quickly asking this berfore i head off to Uni, so apologies if its already been asked.

When I play 0AD, after about 5-10 minutes after i start, it shuts my computer off with no warning at all.

Is anyone else having this problem, and is there any way I can fix it?

I'm running Xubuntu 12.04, if that helps

A problem where your hardware fails (in this case by shutting off) is always a hardware or driver issue. A properly functioning graphics card or CPU should never shut off no matter how hard a video game tries to abuse it.

My best guess would be that the cooling on your CPU is clogged somehow (typically by dust).

A problem where your hardware fails (in this case by shutting off) is always a hardware or driver issue. A properly functioning graphics card or CPU should never shut off no matter how hard a video game tries to abuse it.

My best guess would be that the cooling on your CPU is clogged somehow (typically by dust).

I'm using the most up-to-date drivers according to the OS driver installer, and the CPU isn't getting above 65 degrees

Im at Uni at the moment, and the wireless requires me to be in Windows. Would there be an equivilent command for the Windows Command Prompt?

No, but you can see it in the devices manager. Anyways, i think that knowing the model wont make anything more clear. Your problem seems to be hardware related so you should go to someone who is able to check it. (Did you try to run it in windows?)

Edited by caesarinf

No, but you can see it in the devices manager. Anyways, i think that knowing the model wont make anything more clear. Your problem seems to be hardware related so you should go to someone who is able to check it. (Did you try to run it in windows?)

I havent done so yet, will download the game for windows now

The computer I've got keeps breaking (screen craps out, hard drive corrupts randomly, occasionally refuses to boot, etc), and is going to get replaced soon. I'd just like a good game to play on it until then. This game seems to fit the bill nicely, except I can only play for about 10 minutes. I enjoyed Rise of Rome, and this was, I believe, originally intended as a mod for that game. If ther's an easy fix for my problem, great, if not, I'll look at it again with my new computer.

The computer I've got keeps breaking (screen craps out, hard drive corrupts randomly, occasionally refuses to boot, etc), and is going to get replaced soon. I'd just like a good game to play on it until then. This game seems to fit the bill nicely, except I can only play for about 10 minutes. I enjoyed Rise of Rome, and this was, I believe, originally intended as a mod for that game. If ther's an easy fix for my problem, great, if not, I'll look at it again with my new computer.

Please, try following the steps we suggested to you. 0 A.D. was indeed originally intended as a mod for Age of Empires.

Edited by caesarinf

Try this:

- Start a new match vs 1 Aegis AI on a small random map

- Go to Menu in the top right corner, then select Settings

- Turn everything off that's marked with a cross

- Close the Settings window and continue the match

Then let us know if the match lasted more than 10 minutes.

Followed your instructions Pureon, the results are as follows:

When the loading bar hits 100% the game freezes, and give me the change in music indicating the game is playing, but only brief (1/2 second) flashes of the game screen, before going back to the loading screen for about 30 seconds. Also occasional black screen with random coloured lines across it (about as frequent as the game screen). Tried 3 times, same result each time

Followed your instructions Pureon, the results are as follows:

When the loading bar hits 100% the game freezes, and give me the change in music indicating the game is playing, but only brief (1/2 second) flashes of the game screen, before going back to the loading screen for about 30 seconds. Also occasional black screen with random coloured lines across it (about as frequent as the game screen). Tried 3 times, same result each time

Could you find and attach system_info.txt from the game's log directory? That will give us more detail about your system specs.