Any tactics or strategies?

jca2013

I seem to notice whether I play easy or medium I don't get far into the game before the enemy comes running to my side killing everything even if I set up a bunch of soldiers. I try in the beginning of the game to send soldiers to their side and they kill all my soldiers really quick. I can't seem to get enough resources as fast as the other player can or a big enough army as they can as well. It's seems like they are always over strengthed with more resources but i could be wrong.

Any suggestions?

The AI is only bonused on Hard or Very Hard (and only at resource gathering at that), while it isn't bonused at all on Medium and gets only 66 percent of what it would normally receive on Easy.

Some tips that could give you the advantage you need:

(You can test most of that on the Starting Economy Walkthrough map (Single Player -> Matches -> Scenarios -> Demo Maps), but be prepared to start that a few times as it is really fast)

Gather meat from the chicken and/or sheep near your CC with the cavalry unit.

Task your women to gather the berries and the other units to gather wood.

Don't stop producing units! (Also try to batch train units if you can by shift-clicking the unit buttons)

I would try to get a good economy going and not spend a lot of resources on fortifications.

I first had some trouble with the Ai too.

I did several things wrong compared to the AI. I made too few females (shame on me! But I thought I needed more men for defending), and I did not put all my citizen-soldiers to work. Only late game when you are beginning to float you can have citizen-soldiers do nothing.

Though about the females. I tend to make around 10 for farming, seems enough, and about 5 to 10 for wood gathering together with citizen-soldiers (the men get bonuses with females around, not sure if already implemented). So not as many as the Ai does.

Most of my citizen-soldiers I then build I let them do wood, since I need that the most. The first thing I (try to) do is making the market, because I tend to have a lot of wood or food, and so I can make it even. By the time I am in the next phase, so I need iron and stone, so I make 5 to 10 guys for stone and 5 to 10 guys for metal. However I use mostly the market to get my stone and metal.

I make quite some towers, and I also upgrade these towers with watches for more arrows.

Let the Ai come to you, and use it to let your citizen soldiers gain experience. The AI does not retreat (I hope their will be a retreat button in the future mainly for players, but this could mean the AI could retreat also), so they let their soldiers die and you gain experience without losing much.

Make as many fortresses as you can since these also have arrows. Another thing I did bad in the beginning was not expanding as aggresively as the AI. Try to expand.

Are you saying that the first attack is wiping you out? That is the most challenging part of the game, in my view.

At the beginning, you have to build up very fast and stay totally focused on the most essential production. The tips leper gave are exactly right; I would add that you need to stick to gathering food and wood and making units as fast as you can until after that first attack. You need to build a few houses to allow you to create units, but save the bigger building projects for after the first attack wave.

When the attack comes, garrison your women in the Civ Center, so they don't get wiped out.

Edited by greenknight32

When the attack comes, garrison your women in the Civ Center, so they don't get wiped out.

This is a bit a no-brainer but it is a good tip. I always do that.

Lowering the amount of population will also make the game much easier in my opinion against AI.

This is a bit a no-brainer but it is a good tip. I always do that.

Lowering the amount of population will also make the game much easier in my opinion against AI.

Yeah, AI isn't really dynamical now. It's made for standard settings. So it starts by creating almost 100 femals. And if the population limit is 100, well then the AI has a problem :D

Also, if the AI gets extra resources to start with, it won't upgrade to town or city phase a lot earlier than without those extra resources.

Yeah, AI isn't really dynamical now. It's made for standard settings. So it starts by creating almost 100 femals. And if the population limit is 100, well then the AI has a problem :D

Also, if the AI gets extra resources to start with, it won't upgrade to town or city phase a lot earlier than without those extra resources.

qBot uses the population limit for dynamical numbers. If it isn't doing this correctly it is a bug somewhere.

qBot uses the population limit for dynamical numbers. If it isn't doing this correctly it is a bug somewhere.

I notice this with the other bot, improved version of qBot. I played 100 and they didn't make soldiers.

Would it be a bug or is the other bot modified that it does not have dynamics/that it has a bug.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys haven't played the game in a while it just kind of got boring for me. Sorry for that. Thanks for the strategies. What bore me away was that even though I tried those strategies I stil didn't get very far same thing kept happening. However I tried the demo maps. I don't get the first one. The first one you are just soldiers with no way to make or create anything and i run to the other side kill all of their citizens that I can and then tried to take down the civ center or whatever it's called but i just get killed from the arrows lol. So I don't really see what's the point of that map unless im missing something. ehehe

Thanks for letting us know. You're not the only one to say it's too difficult to defeat the Easy AI as a beginner, a number of gamers have also mentioned this. There are plans to create a 'Very Easy' (or sandbox) option for Aegis AI - however this is unlikely to be released with Alpha 14 because our lead AI developer is currently busy.

You could watch a few of the multiplayer videos to see what strategies other gamers use. Here's one I'd recommend:

There are many more on Youtube

I tend to turtle very heavily, lots of fortifications where possible; The AI isn't bright but it can out-econ me at times; generally it can be really, really wasteful of resources though, towers are an excellent way of getting tons of kills in without too much reaction coming back. Honestly the main problem I have with the current version is that the game just chokes for speed once it gets beyond about 300 units on the map, so even 1v1 games are usually too slow for me to bother finishing them.