===[COMMITED]=== White Rhinoceros

Micket

Hi Gussebb!

I sure hope I don't come off as a too negative here, but I think there are some anatomical issues with the model.

Some time ago, I made a model for a white rhino (but noone ever got around to texture or animate it), which lookes like this:
post-15430-0-56995200-1426004366_thumb.j

The thread is here: http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17411

While I do realize i sound like a pompous @#$%, I was very happy with how the model turned out. Perhaps you could switch out the model for your animation skeleton?

(also, everyone should feel free to modify any of my meshes if they think I've done something badly!)

• Like 3

Hi Gussebb!

I sure hope I don't come off as a too negative here, but I think there are some anatomical issues with the model.

Some time ago, I made a model for a white rhino (but noone ever got around to texture or animate it), which lookes like this:

attachicon.gifpost-15430-0-11894600-1371943335.jpg

The thread is here: http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17411

While I do realize i sound like a pompous @#$%, I was very happy with how the model turned out. Perhaps you could switch out the model for your animation skeleton?

(also, everyone should feel free to modify any of my meshes if they think I've done something badly!)

I like your model better and i wish i could easily just switch the model out, but it's not so easy for me. the uv map already set for the model so i will have to redo the texturing i think, and i'm not sure if you can just switch out models once imported to the game. and i'm not sure if your model has to many polygons, i tried to keep mine very low (probably too low). but all the files is in the zip so you can try out yourself if you want :)

Yup. I wasn't expecting any of this to be easy, and (unfortunately) I am suggesting there is a lot of work to do (and re-do).

I will advise against working in a vacuum; Upload the mesh screenshots as soon as that is finished. Or even better, upload it when you feel you have the basic shapes down. I believe we are quite good at giving out constructive critisicm in this forum (think of it as tough love).

Tweaking the model based on feedback early and there would have been very little to do, and now, ouch.

I can't help but to feel like a as$hole to suggest changing something, because I know it was a lot of work at this point.

As for polycount, yes. I make my models of higher polycount than what the typical zoom-level in gameplay calls for, for several reasons:

1. It's a bit of future-proofing. Mid-poly today? Low poly tomorrow!

2. If there is ever any LOD support or anything like that, It's a lot easier to collapse nodes (I made a small test of collapsing some edges, and I got it down to 350 triangles: post-15430-0-13092500-1426040009_thumb.p) without noticeable loss of detail (at this zoom-level)

3. In the end, the difference in polycount (300 triangles or so) is probably less to that of a single palm-tree in the background. Unless there is a rhino stampede (which would be awesome), there is not really any impact on the game.

4. A bit of eye-candy doesn't hurt when you zoom in!

• Like 4

With careful node merging, the UV map will remain useful (in Blender at least). You just have to be careful at the texture seams.

Maybe a bit of tweaking is needed, but at the zoom-level where the LOD switches, there is no way to tell if the texture is a bit wonky.

Just select an edges, and press "alt+m" and choose collapse. It you need more control, select 2 nodes, and press alt+m for merging at different positions.

Looks great, though, there should be quite a bit of tweaking left. I don't think the black areas are really the problem, but there are some regions where the reference image doesn't cover well, such as the back, and the legs. It looks great from the side, but in game, it'll be viewer from above most of the time.

There is also quite a bit of highlight in the texture, which should preferably be painted over with a neutral grey body color (the region on his back is almost white).

• Like 2

Looks great, though, there should be quite a bit of tweaking left. I don't think the black areas are really the problem, but there are some regions where the reference image doesn't cover well, such as the back, and the legs. It looks great from the side, but in game, it'll be viewer from above most of the time.

There is also quite a bit of highlight in the texture, which should preferably be painted over with a neutral grey body color (the region on his back is almost white).

Correct.

Nice work projecting it though. Stan you should try to improve the texture once projected through GIMP or Blender's texture painting.

I finished texturing this fine model. I think I scaled the model though, not sure if it was already set to in-game scale. Good job everyone.

post-13528-0-35954000-1426204223_thumb.j

white_rhino_final.zip

• Like 4