What 0S Do You Run?

Wijitmaker

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OS X is a Linux kernel!?!

OS X's kernel (Darwin) is a variant of BSD. I have Mac OS X on my laptop and plan to ensure the engine builds on it before release (its just an issue of finding time to do so) I don't foresee any great problems with doing this tho.

Regarding the FBSD port, I wish you luck, I run FreeBSD on one of my server boxes and don't really consider it suitable for my desktop due to hardware support. FreeBSD is excellent as a server platform but I find it lagging behind Linux in the hardware support stakes

:D

The FreeBSD install will automatically re-install Linux on your BSD partitions, then start the Linux installer! :)

Now why would it do that, when the FreeBSD kernel is leaps and bounds ahead of the Linux kernel in stability? Oh sure, the Linux kernel might have some fancy wizbang features...but how many Linux kernels in the last three years have brought peoples machines to their knees, corrupting partitions, making drivers that used to work, fail totally?

The Linux development model is way to "fly by the seat of our pants", which is why there is one million and one different distro's and everyone large company that uses Linux has multiple patch levels of the kernel and user land. Not so with FreeBSD, as nearly every large company that uses it (and yes, there are several), use it out of the box with no custom patching.

OS X is a Linux kernel!?!

OS X's kernel (Darwin) is a variant of BSD. I have Mac OS X on my laptop and plan to ensure the engine builds on it before release (its just an issue of finding time to do so) I don't foresee any great problems with doing this tho.

Regarding the FBSD port, I wish you luck, I run FreeBSD on one of my server boxes and don't really consider it suitable for my desktop due to hardware support. FreeBSD is excellent as a server platform but I find it lagging behind Linux in the hardware support stakes

Actually, OS X is a Mach kernel. Based directly on DEC UNIX's Mach system. It uses the FreeBSD userland.

I have the nvidia drivers setup and working perfectly on my FreeBSD box. Yes, Linux has slightly better hardware support...but only because anyone with a C compiler and some fingers can get a change/driver checked in to that tree, no matter how crappy it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Formatting didn't help me, I formatted the hard drive and the Linux boot menu still came up and complained at me when it couldn't find any files :(

OT: Yes, the boot loader (I'm assuming it's LILO) will not be erased after a reformat. This should be of assistance to you; I was able to use the "fdisk /mbr" command on my Mom's computer to remove LILO.

Back on topic: I've got a Windows XP SP2 machine (plus an SP1 laptop). I run MS Virtual PC 2004 on my main machine, so I also have a Windows 98SE "machine". :(

• 4 years later...