===[TASK]=== Partridge (chukar)

Micket

Pheasants normally walk, but they fly when they flee for something (which makes them very easy to hunt on with a gun). It's hard to take a picture though, as they hide themselves very well before they flee. So you never have your camera ready. It would be nice if it would be a skittish animal, with a flying flee animation. But I think that'll be rather hard. So I have no problem with only walking pheasants.

Pheasants normally walk, but they fly when they flee for something (which makes them very easy to hunt on with a gun). It's hard to take a picture though, as they hide themselves very well before they flee. So you never have your camera ready. It would be nice if it would be a skittish animal, with a flying flee animation. But I think that'll be rather hard. So I have no problem with only walking pheasants.

I used to have pheasants (though Golden) and I'm an animal freak, and it's only partly true. Pheasants prefer to run, or stand still and hide, however they will fly when startled.

While pheasants are able to fly fast for short distances, they prefer to run. If startled however, they will burst to the sky in a "flush."

Look it up.

(But this is a chuckar, which is family of the pheasant but not a pheasant)

Edited by Unarmed

Pheasants can run very fast, and often do. Chuckars are more rotund, don't seem like they'd be as fleet of foot - but apparently their behavior is quite similar.

Yes they can run very fast. My Golden pheasant could run very fast. I had another one who was easily startled and so this one did fly often. It looked kind of funny when my Golden pheasant would run.

I kept my Golden pheasant in the garden, he was very tame. The other one who was easily startled I did try, but he was very unpredictable and would fly away. When he did that he flied in the air and than he hide in long grass or bushes. I did manage to get him back in the coop.

And pheasants at least are very similar too chickens. Their mating ritual is slightly different, but other behavior like foaraging, sleeping, dustbathing etc. is the same.

So while they are only family they do behave similar. Chukars appearantly have the habit of running into hills:

Chukars have the annoying habit of running uphill when approached by dog or man.

Anyway my point is, running is fine in 0 A.D. Though it would be kind of cool if they would fly, but it is not necessary for biological reasons.

• 1 year later...