===[COMMITTED]=== Tiger

Micket

Once it's smoothed, the blockyness won't be so visible, so there's no point doubling the polys just for the sake of increasing polys - use them wisely. If it were a static model adding an extra 2000 polys would have 0% impact on performance, but when it comes to animated models, we can afford to be more conservative with polys wherever possible.

@Micket: Loving your models - hope you can animate them too at some point :)

Agreed.

Looks just a little thin to me, but otherwise it seems like it will look pretty good. Recommend you use "set smooth" in Blender to get a better approximation of the end result, though I think you need to remove it to export the collada files.

Agreed.

Looks just a little thin to me, but otherwise it seems like it will look pretty good. Recommend you use "set smooth" in Blender to get a better approximation of the end result, though I think you need to remove it to export the collada files.

I'm not sure what "set smooth" means in the context of Blender, but "smoothing groups" on a model exported from 3DS Max work just fine in the game. Not sure if they are the same thing though.

I think I got the features down, more or less. Will continue tweaking. I was planning for some whiskers and neck-fluff with alpha maps.

Very nice! :) looking forward to the finished result. Neck fluff with alpha maps would be very hard to see even at full-zoom level. Your choice.

I'm not sure what "set smooth" means in the context of Blender, but "smoothing groups" on a model exported from 3DS Max work just fine in the game. Not sure if they are the same thing though.

Here is an example. Left model is all set to smooth shading. Center model is set on "flat" shading. Right model is set to smooth with a modifier that makes "flat" edges within a certain edge angle (very useful for rocks).

You can also select the faces you want to be smooth and flat manually, so it's probably the same as smooth groups in 3DS Max

post-13528-0-89027400-1371296082_thumb.j

I think I got the features down, more or less. Will continue tweaking. I was planning for some whiskers and neck-fluff with alpha maps.

The leg joints have at least two loops (at least on the side it bends away from). You can give it more rounding on the side it bends away from, if you want to save polys. The tigers need to be very flexible. :P

Don't be too conservative with polys on the joints, we don't want the transforms to be ugly. :)

Also, make sure to keep the distances between the loops on the tail even.

Looks great. I hope we can have some alpha for the whiskers, as eye-candy ? If not, we could drop them alltogether, or at least, modify them.

yes, I forgot. Whiskers are not final. I'm going to try an alpha map an if it doesn't work well, I'll try with geometry before discarding them

Looks great. I hope we can have some alpha for the whiskers, as eye-candy ? If not, we could drop them alltogether, or at least, modify them.

Added alpha to the whiskers. Looks great, but after reducing the texture size (currently is 1024) and from normal camera zoom I think it will be difficult to see that level of detail. Anyway, it'll stay alpha mapped ^_^ . BTW your last version of the Oryx has been already textured. The .zip with the texture is in this post: http://www.wildfireg...96

Keep up the good work Micket! :)

post-13528-0-33610800-1371545904_thumb.j

• Like 2