New player - faction suggestion: Vikings

haghdk

I've just started to play this game and taking into consideration that this is open source, my jaws simply dropped to floor. Amazing isn't a strong enough word to describe it.

I have an idea to a faction - please forgive me if this have already been discussed. I could not find it through the search.

I would love to play the Vikings - coming from Denmark where Vikings are a proud part of our history, it would be awesome to play them. I always played them in AOE.

The could be played on Scandinavia-type scenario.

Edited by haghdk

Vikings are really cool, but 0 A.D. is based around the ancient times, and well... Its 0 A.D. The Viking age lasted from 768 A.D. At the sack of Lindisfarne to 1066 A.D. at the battle of Stamford Bridge. Which is a couple to a few hundred years ahead in the future compared to all the other faction's timeperiods. For example, you wouldnt put space marines in historical based WW2 games would you?

Although there has been of some interest of people wanting to make a Medieval mod out of this game. The vikings would then be able to fit in.

Vikings are really cool, but 0 A.D. is based around the ancient times, and well... Its 0 A.D. The Viking age lasted from 768 A.D. At the sack of Lindisfarne to 1066 A.D. at the battle of Stamford Bridge. Which is a couple to a few hundred years ahead in the future compared to all the other faction's timeperiods. For example, you wouldnt put space marines in historical based WW2 games would you?

Although there has been of some interest of people wanting to make a Medieval mod out of this game. The vikings would then be able to fit in.

That is a very good point! I didn't look at it that way. I hope to see such a mod in the future.

Wasn't the sacking of Lindisfarne in 793? (Not that it's a major point or anything, it's still out of the timeframe of the main game (500 B.C. - 1 B.C. for the first part, and A.D. 1 to A.D. 500 for the second).)

Wasn't the sacking of Lindisfarne in 793? (Not that it's a major point or anything, it's still out of the timeframe of the main game (500 B.C. - 1 B.C. for the first part, and A.D. 1 to A.D. 500 for the second).)

You are probably correct. I was typing that post in the middle of the night.

the Vikings fall out of 0ad's timeframe, even for the Part 2 civs from 1-500 AD. though they're very cool (Odin's Norse were one of my favorite civs to play as in AOM), they can't be added for the sake of historicity

that doesn't mean Viking units and buildings can't be added as editor-only objects for Part 2 ;) personally, i think they'd go very well as scenario-only antagonists for a playable Anglo-Saxon civ. in terms of gameplay, there could perhaps be sme in-game triggers that can be set up so that all the units for a Germanic faction are replaced with the editor-only Viking units (there was a trigger like this in AOM, which instantly transformed all units of a specific class into another specific class, e.g., all Hoplites turn into Huskarls). there's also examples in other games of normally unbuildable units which can be enabled for certain scenarios; i think Empire Earth is the best example, it had this in the first game but expanded on it in its expansion, with all sorts of Roman units that otherwise conflicted with the normal building roster: Short Swords, Phalanxes, Vikings, and Barbarians could be replaced with Gallic Warriors, Celtic Warriors, Roman Legionaries, and so on, and some others had no confliction with other units, like the Samurai, some Moorish units, and even futuristic ones like the Black Robes

What we know as the Viking Age was when the Norse civilization entered an expansionist phase - they were already accomplished shipbuilders and navigators at that time. Since they didn't keep written records, origins of that civilization are more difficult to date precisely, can only be inferred from archeological evidence. It definitely was developing within the time frame of 0 A.D., though.

You might be aware of this already, but there already is an editor-only Viking ship available :)
actually, i haven't fully played 0ad yet :P it was lagging too badly on the one computer i installed it on so far so i was actually planning on waiting until the beta phase ;)

actually, i haven't fully played 0ad yet :P it was lagging too badly on the one computer i installed it on so far so i was actually planning on waiting until the beta phase ;)

If you take an easy map for the AI (lots of empty space between the obstacles, almost no water and few mountains), then it's actually quite playable. Also avoid factions that are difficult for the AI. Aegis tends to get stuck with the Maurian elephants, and can't manage the Athenian rock throwers.

Anyway, if you just want to design nice maps, you can also do that in Atlas. They'll sure be playable in the future.

Multiplayer is a lot more playable than single-player most of the time as well. Still, there's lots to do of course, but it certainly can be fun to play already :) And Atlas is of course nowhere near as demanding (at least as long as you don't run a simulation - i.e. a test game inside the editor, or create a random map to serve as a base for your creation :) ).

currently, i think what i'd be doing with the editor is recreating settings from non-RTS games that i'm a part of to help both myself and other visualize what the setting would look like (e.g., the mining town around my DnD character's estate, or the village where one of my different OCs comes from). that's one of teh things i like about 0ad's diversity of civs

meantime, i'll contribute in whatever way i can ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

See Mod section. But that mod are dead even before I join to the Forums. Is necessary revive them.

So I need a Ouija board to contact them? :wink2:

It's a mod team, their forums are here: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showforum=297

Ah...thought it sounded familiar, but I couldn't recall where I'd seen it. In the forum index, of course! :blush: Went ahead and posted that link in the appropriate thread there.

Hello. :sword_rune:
VIKING
The term viking was not recorded as being used until 1800–10 [from Old Norse vīkingr, probably from vīk creek, sea inlet + -ingr (see -ing3); perhaps related to Old English wīc camp]
People began to reminisce about older times around this period.
Norse [ancient Scandinavian] and English are both Germanic languages.[Germanic languages: German, Dutch, English, the Scandinavian languages, Afrikaans, Flemish, Frisian, and the extinct Gothic]

Some words we think of as being German are of Celtic origin. example: rīk-‘king

English started out as rune characters [Old Norse rūn a secret, writing, runic character]
alphabet_seaxwica_runes.jpg
Edited by greycat
  • Like 1