AI's

Marshallfan607

I just made an account to post this because I feel that it needs to be said. Bots are way too overpowered. Withing 10 minutes of my friend and I playing against bots we are attacked with a very large amount of units. We get wiped out within 15 minutes even if we have a military. I don't know if the devs of this are going to see this, but if you do, please do something about this. It almost makes the game unplayable. FYI I was playing with medium bots.

I just made an account to post this because I feel that it needs to be said. Bots are way too overpowered.

1) Players can't be overpowered. :P I'm going to assume you mean "The AI is too good".

2) Mostly likely you're new to the game? Most experience players find even AegisBot on Very Hard a very easy opponent.

Withing 10 minutes of my friend and I playing against bots we are attacked with a very large amount of units. We get wiped out within 15 minutes even if we have a military. I don't know if the devs of this are going to see this, but if you do, please do something about this. It almost makes the game unplayable. FYI I was playing with medium bots.

I suggest AegisBot on the Easy setting, and also playing the "Starting Economy Walkthrough" tutorial under Demo Maps.

I do not believe that applies to medium and easy bots, though.

It actually does apply to easy, but in reverse: easy gathers 33% fewer resources than it otherwise would (in addition to some other things; I think it builds fewer military units than medium, but you'd have to ask wraitii to be sure).

• 2 weeks later...

I just made an account to post this because I feel that it needs to be said. Bots are way too overpowered. Withing 10 minutes of my friend and I playing against bots we are attacked with a very large amount of units. We get wiped out within 15 minutes even if we have a military. I don't know if the devs of this are going to see this, but if you do, please do something about this. It almost makes the game unplayable. FYI I was playing with medium bots.

I thought the same thing as you, the AI was killing me at first and then I realized they are just rushing. So instead of turtling when you play (gather stock piles of resources, buidling walls/towers/etc), you might want to focus on building an army with every resource that comes in.

I know it does not leave time to really enjoy the game and the art work contributed to the graphics, but it will keep you from getting murdered from the AI. The way games like this (AoE) works, is that it's typically a rush to see who can build an army the quickest and rush the fastest. I experienced this very heavily on while playing AoE Multiplayer.

You are building your beautiful looking city and peacefully farming for resources, while the computer is literally building things related to military and troops and prepping an attack.

The way me and my friends would combat this in the AoE series was to enable deathmatch with a 30 minute treaty. That gave us 30 minutes to build up the way we wanted, knowing the computer could not attack prematurely. The only issue with that is the later AoE games, the computer would just cannon spam you, so after the 30 minute treaty expired, they rushed you with an army of 50 cannons. Hopefully 0AD will have some feature to allow for a timed treaty to allow players that like to city build first, actually get an opportunity to do so without being harrassed by the pesky AI.

It takes me ten to twenty minutes to kill that same AI? It sounds like you lack workers in your games. The AI- unlike the Age of Empires games -does not cheat; therefore, I think you should concentrate on creating workers until you reached some 200-300 people. Otherwise the AI is gonna smack you down by just outnumbering you.

I thought the same thing as you, the AI was killing me at first and then I realized they are just rushing. So instead of turtling when you play (gather stock piles of resources, buidling walls/towers/etc), you might want to focus on building an army with every resource that comes in.

I know it does not leave time to really enjoy the game and the art work contributed to the graphics, but it will keep you from getting murdered from the AI. The way games like this (AoE) works, is that it's typically a rush to see who can build an army the quickest and rush the fastest. I experienced this very heavily on while playing AoE Multiplayer.

You are building your beautiful looking city and peacefully farming for resources, while the computer is literally building things related to military and troops and prepping an attack.

The way me and my friends would combat this in the AoE series was to enable deathmatch with a 30 minute treaty. That gave us 30 minutes to build up the way we wanted, knowing the computer could not attack prematurely. The only issue with that is the later AoE games, the computer would just cannon spam you, so after the 30 minute treaty expired, they rushed you with an army of 50 cannons. Hopefully 0AD will have some feature to allow for a timed treaty to allow players that like to city build first, actually get an opportunity to do so without being harrassed by the pesky AI.

Triggers should be coming soon, they have been discussed for a while, so now we just need someone to implement them ;)

With triggers, a lot of different game modes will be available. Btw, if you just want to admire the artwork, do a game against demo bot. He'll just send a 9-people big army every time it's ready. So it's easy to counter that, while you can still see the strengths of all units and buildings.

It takes me ten to twenty minutes to kill that same AI? It sounds like you lack workers in your games. The AI- unlike the Age of Empires games -does not cheat; therefore, I think you should concentrate on creating workers until you reached some 200-300 people. Otherwise the AI is gonna smack you down by just outnumbering you.

They have not (and I think they said will not) make the AI more intelligent (minus pathfinding and using technologies and the like), the only way to make it harder is by giving it bonuses to gathering rates, etc. That is essentially cheating and the way that AoE worked it's AI as well.

His issue is playing the game casually not realizing the AI is simply building numbers to attack from the very beginning. As pointed out, the demo bot would be the easiest way to go for someone looking to casually play the game. With triggers added hopefully the AI can be more "intelligent" at first glance, providing people the opportunity to turtle, rush, etc without having to adjust their play style to suit the AI rushing.

Aegis is in a state where if you let it play, it's reasonably skilled. On "Medium", I believe, it doesn't cheat. hard/very hard make it collect more ressource, easy make it collect less, and there are a few other changes too (I'm pretty sure it starts attacking later and builds fewer military buildings so it recruits units slower. Not sure about different army sizes though).

Work on AI is very much still planned, however, but progress is stalled right now (I'm mostly doing it and I'm focusing on something else).

Aegis can be overwhelming for a beginner player. I suggest playing very easy until you feel more at ease with the game. It's not really too hard to defeat once you get to know it.