===[COMMITTED]=== Blacksmith Buildings

Mythos_Ruler

They're in.

Sadly, I couldn't make the fire glowing effect I was looking for. I thought the AO maps allowed colored images but it didn't, I confused them with the spec maps, which they support colored specular maps :(. They're ready for the "floating prop system". Only mauryan blacksmith to go, sketches/drawings/references are welcome. A variant for the brits/gauls market is on the way and a new redesign for the iberian barracks.

Here are the blacksmiths ingame:

post-13528-0-33126000-1375016906_thumb.j

• Like 2

As far as I remember, 'self-illumination' or 'glow' was implemented. Was that what you tried or is that not the desired effect?

At first I thought that self-ilumination was the same as the AO map, with very intense whites where the self-ilumination is desired, since very bright whites makes the shader like glowing. I've been through myconid posts but haven't found how to set up the self ilumination map :(

At first I thought that self-ilumination was the same as the AO map, with very intense whites where the self-ilumination is desired, since very bright whites makes the shader like glowing. I've been through myconid posts but haven't found how to set up the self ilumination map :(

No, it's seperate from AO, as far as I understand. It uses the 'specTex' map, but you need to use a material that defines "USE_SELF_LIGHT", as described in the comments here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/MaterialFormat

No, it's seperate from AO, as far as I understand. It uses the 'specTex' map, but you need to use a material that defines "USE_SELF_LIGHT", as described in the comments here: http://trac.wildfire.../MaterialFormat

I see. Then there is no way of making the effect I was looking for, since it needs the first UV (color texture coordinates) which are overlapped through the entire model, instead of the clean non overlapped unwrap of the AO coordinates :(

I see. Then there is no way of making the effect I was looking for, since it needs the first UV (color texture coordinates) which are overlapped through the entire model, instead of the clean non overlapped unwrap of the AO coordinates :(

Hmm. Afraid I don't understand UVs well enough to comment on that. Maybe wraitii can chime in if he knows some way around it.

I'll try to explain:

The first UV coordinates are in a way that the UV islands are overlapped. For example, there are several windows on a building, and all windows use the same portion of the texture where the image of the window is. Since all the windows share the same UV coordinates, you cannot make one window self-iluminated, and other window "in the dark" because they share the same portion. Ambient Occlusion UV coordinates in the other hand, does not overlap, and each portion of the model has its own space inside the AO map.

No. Specular maps needs to be overlapped to save space and work.

Ideally, if color was taken into account in the AO maps would work. But it is too much trouble for just a subtle effect that would only be visible in blacksmiths. ^_^

The best solution would be having deferred lighting system that Myconid was working on before and placing an orangish lamp where the fire is.

They're in.

Sadly, I couldn't make the fire glowing effect I was looking for. I thought the AO maps allowed colored images but it didn't, I confused them with the spec maps, which they support colored specular maps :(. They're ready for the "floating prop system". Only mauryan blacksmith to go, sketches/drawings/references are welcome. A variant for the brits/gauls market is on the way and a new redesign for the iberian barracks.

They look really nice in game. One point of criticism, I don't know if I'm nitpicking too much, but the anvil texture looks a bit 'flat'. A used anvil is shiny on the top and point, but a bit rusty on other places (because a blacksmith only uses the top to flatten things, or the point to curve things). I mainly noticed it on the greek blacksmith because that one has a smaller sword blade on it. Here's an example of what I mean:

stock-photo-hammer-and-anvil-used-by-a-blacksmith-56186800.jpg

Btw, thanks for using the 'floating prop' system. It looks really nice.

• Like 1

Don't worry, I will take care of the actor when I'm back from vacation. You can check other building actors to see how are they set up.

Regarding the blacksmith, I was thinking on a more humble structure. Maybe using less barrel roofing. Also the chimney looks a bit weird with the 'capitel' ornaments of a column at the top. I haven't made a proper research yet, but I think they used different kind of chimney than the western civs. I could be wrong though.

• 5 weeks later...