Vary sound intensity by distance?

Don

I'm a new 0ad player and I'm hooked pretty hard. Here's a suggestion that I don't see yet in the forum, at least not during the last 12 months.

I'm in the middle of a game, I've got a couple different towns going, I'm sending some troops to hassle the enemy...and I hear a soldier's death groan. It's hard to localize the sound, because its loudness is the same no matter what part of the map is in view. It would be nice if a sound that was "distant" (relative to the current view) was fainter than a sound that was "close."

There might be an easier way to find out where a noise came from, perhaps a visual cue on the minimap.

Hey Don,

There are still a few things that the sound engine needs. Pop onto the IRC channel and have a chat with stwf at some point. He recently designed/rewrote the sound system to fix numerous problems. New features added to it are always welcome :-)

Hi, sorry haven't been on IRC the last few days. I do believe we mean to put some indication on the minimap when someone is attacked, or dies. Which is the best way to handle this.

But maybe some sort of rolloff for far away deaths isn't a bad idea. Right now sounds are marked as distanceless, meaning they are played even if they are far off screen. But maybe they still could be played at lower volume. Right now the Sound code doesn't do many distance measurements, its more concerned with whether stuff is on screen or not.