Language Support

Wijitmaker

Hi folks, a little background: supported languages isn't just a matter of translation: it also affects hows text is stored in the engine, and how we display it.

The easiest for us would be to use the ISO-8859-1 codepage - we'd only support all Western European languages (i.e. Latin-based alphabets). We could also use an 8-bit encoding for other alphabet-based languages, but we'd have to remember what codepage we're using when editing/displaying the text. (Hebrew chars and say French might have the same value).

The full monty would be using Unicode - this is necessary if we want to support Asian languages. That would entail different text processing in the engine, as well as a special display algorithm (we can't pack 10000 chars into a texture - we would need to have a font engine render our text from .TTF).

Now neither of these are problems, we just need to know up front. Hence, how much do we value translations into non-Western-European languages, especially Asian?

Well I certainly haven't come across many asian residents interested in TLA. Besides that, if they were interested, chances are they probably read/write good english because only a few of Tolkiens books have been translated a lot. To read up on Tolkien the point we have one would probably speak english rather well.

But I'm definitely for Cyrillic and the Western European alphabets.

Arabic's also questionable.

We decided to go with Latin, Cyrillic and Hebrew. I need to talk to you about Hebrew though... we have some questions about word wrapping with text that is written from right to left vs. left to right.

So if you see me online sometime, please messege me. Oh and if you read the programmers meeting minutes from today that would further familiarize you with the dilemna that Gee presented.

I need to talk to you about Hebrew though... we have some questions about word wrapping with text that is written from right to left vs. left to right. ... Oh and if you read the programmers meeting minutes from today that would further familiarize you with the dilemna that Gee presented.

I read the minutes & the transcript but didn't understand too much. I need a clarification of the question before I can answer. (Oh and Hebrew is written top right to bottom left ;) )

So if you see me online sometime, please messege me.

I'd rather have discussion this over the forums or e-mail; I can't promise to be online for extended periods this week.