Torrents?

No downloads are working right now, as the server they are hosted on is currently down. It's been having a lot of trouble lately. :(

Actually, the server they're hosted on is most likely not as they're hosted on a myriad of SourceForge mirrors =) Maybe we should stop using releases.wildfiregames.com as an intermediate and just link directly to the SF files :unsure: It's really nice to have everything together on one page though.
  • Like 1

Actually, the server they're hosted on is most likely not as they're hosted on a myriad of SourceForge mirrors =) Maybe we should stop using releases.wildfiregames.com as an intermediate and just link directly to the SF files :unsure: It's really nice to have everything together on one page though.

Oh, sorry. I didn't know that. I thought Philip hosted them directly.

Never mind in that case.

• 3 months later...

As far as I can see this is already the case. Do I miss something?.

I don't get what the problem is/was?

BTW: Is there a mirror of the 0 A.D. Webpage (http://play0ad.com/) and if where? If not is it wanted?

why the devs don't use Steam? or torrent?

Steam is a commercial platform. 0 A.D. is an open source game. That does not match well in general.

Some specific reasons:

- To play 0 A.D. no registration/login should be needed (if for statistics/ranking this should happen on a non-commertial platform)

- Steam would raise the requirements to play 0 A.D. e.g. to have an internet connection in single-player (or download the account data)

- Steam is a security risk (Reference at Wikipedia)

...and many more.

Torrent:

Since it's open source everyone is free to add a torrent. This would be an alternative way to distribute 0 A.D. IMO. Sourceforge seams to be the first choice for me though.

Edited by FeXoR

As far as I can see this is already the case. Do I miss something?.

The files are hosted on SourceForge already (and was at the time of this post as well), but we link to them using releases.wildfiregames.com.

I don't get what the problem is/was?

The problem was that the server where the releases.wildfiregames.com page and URL is was down when this post was created, and thus the link to the downloadable files didn't work either despite the files being accessible via SourceForge the whole time.

BTW: Is there a mirror of the 0 A.D. Webpage (http://play0ad.com/) and if where? If not is it wanted?

There isn't, and we haven't discussed setting up a mirror actually. It hasn't really been any issues with the web site, and if it doesn't work we always have FB/G+/ModDB/IndieDB/Twitter/IRC and of course Trac (which is on a different server) so there are plenty of places to stay in contact with the project even during down-time.

Steam is a commercial platform. 0 A.D. is an open source game. That does not match well in general.

Some specific reasons:

- To play 0 A.D. no registration/login should be needed (if for statistics/ranking this should happen on a non-commertial platform)

- Steam would raise the requirements to play 0 A.D. e.g. to have an internet connection in single-player (or download the account data)

- Steam is a security risk (Reference at Wikipedia)

...and many more.

That doesn't exclude making 0 A.D. available there as well, but the main reason we haven't tried getting 0 A.D. on Steam (or Desura for that matter) is that we feel that those platforms are more suited towards finished games, or at least Beta. It's definitely something we will look into once the game is more mature though. It will always be available in other places though, even if it's also available on Steam or Desura.

Torrent:

Sonce it's open source everyone is free to add a torrent. This would be an alternative way to distribute 0 A.D. IMO. Sourceforge seams to be the first choice for me though.

Yeah, the main reason is that there is no need to use torrents. With all mirrors on Sourceforge it's far more likely that a torrent link would be outdated/not work at any given time. That doesn't mean that people can't set it up themselves, but it's not something we will do officially, 0 A.D. is already available in plenty of places: Sourceforge, IndieDB/ModDB, and of course directly via a ton of Linux distributions. I think there are a couple of "Free software download sites" which has got it as well. And there's of course always the SVN version. Adding more is more likely to mean that the version you can download from one place or another is not the latest than anything else :)

Thx, feneur. I agree mostly.

I just don't see the need of adding 0 A.D. to Steam/Desura/GOG though. In opposite to other sources that just adds dependencies. That's why I would not support them by adding 0 A.D..

Edited by FeXoR

If people want to install over Stream/Desura/etc, I don't see much point in not enabling them to do that. IIRC, some magazines that were not free by any description already distributed the game on CDs, which is also fine (and one of the ways Linux originally spread to consumers). As long as their EULA don't conflict with our licenses or something like that, there ought to be no issue.

Edited by zoot

i suggest this because the people actually find the games easily in those markets. are very popular and are many indies and freeware. i dont see why a opensource dont can publish in there.

and torrent is because the graet client to download big files and manage it. not only pirates use it.

i suggest this because the people actually find the games easily in those markets. are very popular and are many indies and freeware. i dont see why a opensource dont can publish in there. and torrent is because the graet client to download big files and manage it. not only pirates use it.

The problem is that people using Steam or similar services expect complete, functional games. 0 A.D. is not complete, nor completely functional and requires quite a bit of polish (look at all the discussion about performance issues). So bringing 0 A.D. in this alpha state to Steam would generate a lot of complaints and perhaps cast a negative picture of both this game and Steam (as a portal to good, carefree gaming). I would advice against it until the game is better able to deliver on its promise (please don't take this the wrong way, I like the game, it just needs some time).

For now, it seems wiser to invest time and resources in the game itself or attracting developers, rather then growing the number of players.

• Like 1

how can reach the specialized media? How can they know the game?

A web search engine for example searching for e.g. "open source real time strategy game" (the wikipedia link e.g. has 0 A.D. as the first item in the list) (?). Not sure if I got your question.