Graphics Card Help

Shield Bearer

I sure don't have a clue, all I have are old Nvidia graphics cards, so I don't have a clue what would be better, though I probably should find out about all of these kinds of things if I ever want to play something like StarCraft II or even 0 A.D. better.

• Like 1

With a fast search, i see the HD 7770 is better and faster than the 6850, but the 550Ti isn't too behind. While the 7770 may be a bit faster due to the PCI Express 3 and the slight bus speed difference, the 550Ti on the other hand has that "super alloy power" thing that grants a better longevity (at least theoretically), plus you mentioned it's a lot cheaper. For me, i would buy the 550Ti because i don't know when i'll be able to afford another card and the speed advantage of the HD7770 isn't that great either, but it's up to you.

I see! A lot better, when it comes to framerates, i really underestimated the interface width. I would stick with the 6850 too, because of my game choices, i use a headset to play (so noises are totally ignored), the computer can handle the temperature pretty well (close to the cold ground, well ventilated), and most of the time the card will remain idle (so energy consumption won't be that much of a deal). The only bad thing would be that i'd have to play skyrim in a lower res, but whatever, i don't play it anymore...

I've got an HD 6850, purchased when I got my new computer in 2011. The main reason I chose it was that it's quiet and cool (relatively speaking). Performance-wise, you'll probably be better off with an Nvidia, at least that has been my experience in recent years - of course I haven't been in the market and don't obsess over benchmarks, it's just from comparisons with other people doing real-world stuff. I'll never buy an Nvidia again though due to their crappy driver support. They also tend to be noisier. The 6850 is not a shabby card by any means and more than capable of running games.

The brand can make a huge difference by the way, as far as how quiet it is, what overclocking they do, what quality the fan/heatsink is, etc. Mine in particular is a "ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16"