Copyright Infringement

idanwin

It seems like we won't be allowed to release our mod, at least not legally.

This is what I encountered when I tried to download the Alpha 1 of Aristeia:

megaupload_fbi.jpg

It seems like AoEo doesn't want any competitors offering bronze age civilisations, and in some sense I understand them; they wouldn't stand a chance! But I think their reaction is a wee bit exaggerated, and I'm certain a lot of people will agree with me on this. It's not because they made a bad game that all good games should be swept from the market so that people don't have any alternatives.

The most hilarious thing is that they actually think we want to make money out of this xD Man, we spend days on row modelling, texturing and doing research, barely sleeping in between, and then we give everything to you, for FREE, and then they'd charge us with something like that. That's just sick.

If you're thinking something like: oh, no, now I'll never be able to play this AWESOME mod: don't worry! We'll continue working on this project whenever we find the time, which will probably be less often because of these f***ers, but hell, we'll even continue modding in prison if it ever comes to that! To circumvent the seized download link we'll spread each version by torrent from now on. And if the large media corporations get their say in U.S. law and all p2p file-sharing systems get put to an end (which I seriously doubt, but a doom scenario we must keep in mind anyway) we'll just upload Aristeia on some obscure filesharing site in Russia or China where they don't know what the word 'copyright' means ("什么?版权?") and post the link here.

Once again we've had to learn the hard way that these large corporations are the cowboys on the information continent and we, copylefters, sharealikes and open-source fanatics are the Indians they want to crush.

But we're glad to find out they are aware we exist.

So one message to the large corporations: You'll never be able to control us :tease:

And one for AoEo in particular: Just make a better game next time, that way you don't have to be jealous!

Edited by idanwin
  • Like 1

Every year on April the 1st, I basically unplug myself from the world and enjoy a good video game and a cup of coffee. That way, I can read the paper the next day and laugh at all the other fools :)

Yeah, that is a lot of fun xD

Edited by idanwin

Is the mod release a joke too or is that real?

The mode release was a joke.

We didn't joke about our progress, the mod is downloadable as presented in the post from our git. It just isn't an official release for that, we feel that at least one civ has to be finished entirely for an actual first Alpha so you'll have to wait a little longer for an official packaged download.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...