main menu background

gab

I'd really like to see a main menu background similar to Age of Empires 3 (http://www.polycat.n...aoe3/aoe3_5.jpg) where you have a simulation running in the background that changes based on your gameplay.

i don't know how hard to implement is that.

but i think when Profile user is done, the User can choose a faction, and all factions would a Background. but 3D Background animation is had to implement, but you can choose a Random Background for each you go to Main Menu.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 5 months later...

Just so you know, this one is going to be next to completely impossible to tile thanks to that big fat black cloud up there

I still need to separate the three slides, but I think this one will be fun

This looks really cool. A few things though in order to use it for the game in some capacity.

1. The game is supposed to be a serious semi-realistic game, so the proportions for the people in this image should be realistic and not so cartoonish.

2. It would be cool if you used some of the Roman shield designs in the game for the Roman shield dude. Ties it in with the game better.

3. Some of the details should be finished and the guidelines/sketch lines edited out (see the Sacred Band dude's plume, or maybe those are individual horse hairs, in that case they wouldn't fall in a "bouncey" way).

This doesn't necessarily have to be a main menu background. It could be used for a revamped loading screen or something.

Just so you know, this one is going to be next to completely impossible to tile thanks to that big fat black cloud up there

I still need to separate the three slides, but I think this one will be fun

Your skills at designing a scene just aren't fair to the rest of us.

Any chance of a Celtic Druid background?

haha, thanks!

I think Tomas would be much better suited for a Celtic background. He's very practiced in working with that cultural scene.

In fact, I think someone ought to give him a heads up as to how the background scroll works

As for proportions, I think they'll fall into place once I tighten up the edges, unless there is some glaring issue. Try and keep in mind that I'm trying to make the defenders look a bit emaciated as a consequence of the Roman protracted siege.

Ok guys, I made for you this new piece -http://callmevargo.deviantart.com/art/The-Line-Breaking-410670639 ,maybe not right as a main menu screen. Thanks Lord Good for mentioning me, I will try to bring here something more to use for this purpose.

You can ever read more in this thread: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17708

Thanks

I still think it would be good for a main menu screen. I don't think the styles have to match exactly; a mild amount of variety is good.

Main menu backgrounds need to tile. It's just the basic spec we have set forth for them. I agree about variety though. Ideally, I'd like one menu bg for each faction. But they need to tile for various reasons (one being multi-monitor setups).

But that's not to say we can't use images like what LordGood provides here. Loading screens are the perfect place for static imagery.

EDIT: It would also be cool to have some animated smoke or dust over the image too.

• 2 months later...