===[COMMITTED] Waterfalls

Enrique

Awesome. How do they look when you put them higher than just above the water level? Like on top of a cliff.

Right now I set the actor to "float" so it will always stay just above the water level, so the end of the waterfall makes waves when hitting the water.

But maybe it's better just to extend the waterfall without waves to be able to set the waterfall rock higher? I'm going to commit so people can comment or suggest a better way of making them.

• Like 1

We need cliffs! :D Great job Enrique, this looks spectacular (y)

:D Thanks! The problem I found regarding cliffs is that as far as I know, they cannot have tiling textures like the terrain. This may make the textures look low res compared with the terrain, or need a bigger texture to be on par. I will definitely make some test to see how it goes though

Waterfalls are a good idea, but that way they hardly integrate into the cliff or the contextual landscape. Maybe it requires different models that could fit to the various biomes...

For now it feel too much like an artificial waterfall, the kind you see in an entertainment park...

To be clearer : on the right picture, the rock of the waterfall should be similar to those of the cliff around. For now it feels like a geological anomaly, it doesn't fit at all...

That said, I like the idea of a little cave behind the water. That would be cool if units could walk there!

Yes, I know what you mean. I used a texture that I thought it was from a cliff, but it doesn't. I can change the texture easily, but I might also try a different approach for the models.

Maybe extending the back part far away to get "inside" the cliff would be better.

• Like 1

regarding cliffs, why not allow a combination between an actor and an entity? Like an actor where you can't walk through, or an entity with infinite health or armour.

I think the last one is the easiest (as you're re-designing the health system anyway), but on the other hand, cliffs probably shouldn't be selectable in game.

Btw, that not-walk-through actor could also be used for other eye-candy stuff.

i have a few suggestions. namely, some eyecandy items that could be included are ones based on various clearly manmade or geologically unique features found in the world of Shadow of the Colossus. admittedly, this is just because i watched a Let's Play of it recently and i've thought that it would be cool if that world could be recreated as a gigantic scenario map in 0ad ;)

I remade the models. Now they have the back "open", because it's supposed to get "in" the cliffs. There's too much textures to get them all in-game, so let's choose by biomes, or just choose one waterfall variation per biome or something like that.

First row from left to right: mediterranean, desert, tropic, and savanna:

post-13528-0-56154400-1364422448_thumb.j

post-13528-0-58000000-1364422458_thumb.jpost-13528-0-59357600-1364422597_thumb.jpost-13528-0-68348400-1364422477_thumb.jpost-13528-0-63880100-1364422469_thumb.j

• Like 1

Or - if someone with time and skill is willing to do so - we could have a script that adjusts the texture used for the model depending on what texture the surrounding rocks use. I think that is the ultimate solution. 1 model for each waterfall which can auto-adjust to the environment.

Or - if someone with time and skill is willing to do so - we could have a script that adjusts the texture used for the model depending on what texture the surrounding rocks use. I think that is the ultimate solution. 1 model for each waterfall which can auto-adjust to the environment.

I'm afraid that's not possible, since each variation for each biome uses it's own texture. If tiling/masking worked, that would be another thing.

Good further work Enrique. Well, I still find that it looks much too different from the context. If you can produce some more basic ones with a non-curved rock block, that would allow some of these waterfalls to fit in those cliffs. The ones you have for now would surely work in a set of very curved rock, and I guess when set in the middle of vegetation, would looks much more integrated in the mass.

It looks out of context because of the ao maps. Keep in mind that cliffs are not smooth like in the game. Ideally, this waterfalls should be use together with future AOed cliff meshes which will not be so smooth and will give cliffs a better look. However, I still not sure how I'm going to approach cliffs yet.

Good further work Enrique. Well, I still find that it looks much too different from the context. If you can produce some more basic ones with a non-curved rock block, that would allow some of these waterfalls to fit in those cliffs. The ones you have for now would surely work in a set of very curved rock, and I guess when set in the middle of vegetation, would looks much more integrated in the mass.

I guess part of the problem is that the cliff faces can take all sorts of angles. The curved 'outcrop' looks decent for most cliff faces, while a more flat one might look great for some cliff faces but suck for others.

Edited by zoot

It looks out of context because of the ao maps. Keep in mind that cliffs are not smooth like in the game. Ideally, this waterfalls should be use together with future AOed cliff meshes which will not be so smooth and will give cliffs a better look. However, I still not sure how I'm going to approach cliffs yet.

In other games engines, like CryEngine for example cliffs are made by clumping together large rock meshes that can be used either as standalone props or bunched together to make walls of rock. I'm not sure of the capabilities of this engine but that is one way of loooking at the question of cliffs anyway :)