Music

OccultSynthetic

Hi all,

First of all I would like to say that I am really amazing with the development of 0ad, it is truly a testament to open source and community development.

It has been quite a while since I posted on this forum, probably five years, I don't even remember my old username.

Now I pose this question, is the music/sound team looking for anyone to assist them with the music for 0ad?

I play fretless bass (primary instrument), guitar and a bit of keyboard/synth.

Regards Alex.

Alex,

Thank you for your interest in 0 A.D. :)

Due to the massive size of the game - we are always open to music contributions, are you a composer?

As far as instrumentalists, we are mostly looking for orchestral musicians, strings, brass and woodwinds.

Please have a listen to the existing score over here and let me know how / if you feel you can contribute.

Thanks,

• Like 1

As far as instrumentalists, we are mostly looking for orchestral musicians, strings, brass and woodwinds.

Ehm ... I've been studying the violin for 12 years and am not bad at it ... not sure if I'm good enough to contribute, but if I can, I'd certainly like to.

Any information on how to contribute and how good I should be in order to contribute?

Any information on how to contribute and how good I should be in order to contribute?

Basically, at the moment all the violin solo parts have already been recorded by Shir-Ran Yinon (1st chair at Haifa philharmonic) so we're pretty set on that front - but I'd love to hear samples of your playing anyway, wouldn't hurt to have another contributor if a need rises :)

I certainly can compose, I can't say that I am too experienced with it but I do put down a lot of stuff in guitar pro and have done a bit of classical in reason. :P

Have you heard any fretless bass? It sounds pretty similar to a double bass played pizzicato.

Alex,

I am familiar with fretless bass (it is one of my main instruments as well), but with the 0 A.D. score I strive to be as authentic as possible, and I don't think I can pass a bass guitar sound as a double bass :)

I'd love to hear some of your compositions, please send me a demo of music that matches the existing score only.

(Most importantly nothing electronic or too modern, we're keeping it simple... please refer to the bandcamp)

Thanks,

Okay ... that seems pretty ... ehm ... wow! Now I'm just scared to play xD

I don't have any recent (or decent) recordings, but when I find the time I might make some.

Never be scared to play :D

I'll be happy to hear the recordings when you find time to make them, send them directly to me at Omri (@) OmriLahav (.) com to make sure I see them.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

What do you guys think about uploading 0 A.D. music to Soundcloud? Mobile users prefer this service, it's very popular nowadays and it allows music downloading. And Bandcamp doesn't, by the way. And you can always link Soundcloud account to Flattr so we can support 0 A.D. musicians directly. :)

• Like 1

Hi, my name is Austin. I am a programmer for my summer job (not very good, so I couldn't contribute much in that department.) However, I am a senior trumpet performance major at a well known school, so I think that I could do any trumpet solo that you need recorded. I play very well :kiss: . I have several examples that I can give you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To OmriLahav

Hi, I'm a very amateurish composer, and almost devote no time to music, but I use program Sibelius 6 First, and I thought that I could share some melodies I made in hopes that you use them if you like them, to convert them into orchestral pieces.

Also, one question: If I were to go with music onto a more time dedicated and professional way, which program do you recommend?

Eduh,

To be honest - I have so little free time to work on the game, that I can barely manage to record all of my own pieces in time for release, so I can't really see myself taking on someone else's melodies and putting the time and effort into producing them.

As far as programs, that depends highly on what you want to do, and also on your platform of choice.

Personally I use a PC, with Cubase 7 for all sequencing, recording, mixing and mastering applications, and Finale for notation.

- Omri

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone. I fond some great folk music of Finnish compositor Antti Martikainen. I think it can be great addition for soundtracks.

Here is his album: https://anttimartikainen.bandcamp.com/album/creation-of-the-world

we have our own compositor, the guy that you did the mention is very good and some of us are using their work in our mods. But he need be volunteer , and create the tracks for us.( his tracks are some standar, need be more custom)