Unit portrait pipeline

LordGood

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I double checked it with the other icons and it's basically the same size and scale with the archer and iberian skirmisher. I'm not sure what I could do about it but crop it. If I crop it I'll be cutting out something important though :/

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I double checked it with the other icons and it's basically the same size and scale with the archer and iberian skirmisher. I'm not sure what I could do about it but crop it. If I crop it I'll be cutting out something important though :/

Yeah, I get what you're saying... Maybe you can lose some of the shield? Its not really important (even though it looks fantastic!).

Yeah, cheek is way too bright, maybe if I take the rim off of it that'd fix it. javelin hand scanned in way too dark too. Fingers probably wouldnt follow as extremely as I drew in either

I like the scan-ins because I get that nice pencil texture when I want it :3

only problem is that I cant really replicate it if anything goes wrong :/

• 2 months later...

That was amazing, I was watching intently the whole thing. Really, really good. The only thing I don’t really like about the portrait is the background, it seems to not have enough contrast with the figure (this seems to be true of a lot of your portraits). I really liked watching the process, I think I’ll go watch some of your other videos. :P

In this case I really think it’s a “less is more” type thing. The current background—and this holds true for a lot of current and potential backgrounds—is somewhat distracting at 40x40. So while a flat color would just be ugly, you do need something that barely contrasts itself but strongly contrasts the guy. Maybe a very blurred out (Gaussian blur with a very high radius, I’d guess like 12px), desaturated picture or painting of... something Greek. Although it needn’t even be recognizable, so the Greek requirement could probably be dropped. =P

• Like 1

That portrait looks quite nice! I like the light reflections on the shield and the general composition and use of color, it goes well with the smaller frame sizes. You can recognize the key elements effectively. However I can't get the leg on the left side out of my head (his right leg), the position seems to me a tad too much left. In effect looking slightly disconnected from the rest of the body. However good job there, I like this one way more than the previous two portraits, which where too contrasty and some of the lines appeared too restless.

Awesome portrait again with beautiful lighting and a very dynamic pose. :thumbsup:

I agree about the background and the "less is more" thing.

In the larger version I think his right hand looks a bit strange and some parts of the silhouette look like they're cut out (because you used the eraser).

I also think the sword is too hard to make out on the smaller one. If the pose was slightly altered so that the sword is held over the background, rather than himself, I think it would make it more prominent and recognisable as a sword unit. It still is recognisable, but I think it could be more recognisable by bringing out the weapon.

To go on a bit more with the less is more bit I think that applies to more than the background. I think there is a less detail needed on the units in future portraits. To be perfectly honest I actually think an almost cartoon look works best at the smallest size. (More solid colours, exaggerating the important things slightly etc) The pattern on the shirt, the shield being worn with arrows embedded, the thing hanging off the shield are all things that I feel would serve the smaller pictures better if removed. They cause a bit to much clutter, cause blurring and detract from the main elements.

Having said that I really like the portrait and do think it looks cool. Good job

I think the problem with these portraits is one of contrast. Either the background should be light and the subject dark, or the subject light and the background dark. Right now, the backgrounds and the subjects are all within the same range of brightness and contrast and saturation. Muddles the portrait and makes some of them useless at lower resolution (as what would be a UI button). Also, the colors and saturation are completely out of range when compared to the rest of the UI and things like tech buttons and building buttons. Most importantly, the UI needs a consistent artistic direction and right now we are not achieving that.

• Like 1