Unit portrait pipeline

LordGood

Lordgood, your female face (I'm assuming the blue one is one) is still a little odd: it looks like a man.

(Having said that, I'm starting to really like those. The archer one in particular is awesome, you can feel the dynamism in that picture.)

I thought you wanted them to coincide with the Greek ones, that's 20 unit portraits with different colors

Well, the Greek ones aren't ideal either. :) I'm liking the backgrounds now. I don't think the female looks like a man, but her hair style isn't anything like the Carth females in the game--they generally have black hair and an up-do. (y)

Here is a boat, Quinquereme is next. I got a good list of everything that needs fixing, but I'll get some drafts out of what isn't done yet first. I took my time with this one, I might have to stop using the airbrush tool because I seem to abuse it.

Also the eye is painted on the wrong part of the bow, I can fix that later too.

Another thing, the Carthaginian Quinquereme has no bronze ram in the model. I'm going to paint one in for the portrait, but the textures might need a little tiny edit to make that clear once ship rams are integrated as a game mechanic.

post-14999-0-43890800-1368744034_thumb.j

post-14999-0-13178100-1368744091_thumb.j

I just noticed something about the archer's icon... Something about the bow makes it look like the bottom is much longer than the top. I think perhaps the top wooden bit of it shouldn't bend back so far.

Edit: Just saw the new ship icon. Looks really epic with sharp edges! Even at a small size, it still makes a big difference.

Wow. Really awesome artwork you are producing m8. I favor the idea of making a convention for portrait background colors informing about the unit type: melee, ranged, cav, civilian... Keep 'em coming!

I think all ships should have a blue background, for obvious reasons. BTW -- that quinquireme portrait is pretty boss.

Thanks guys, merchant ship didn't come out quite as strong though. I put a crew on the Quinquereme too but it didn't make too much of a difference scaled down.

The background issue can always be sorted out later, I like the warm gradients and blue because it doesnt seem too far fetched from actual sky colors. Once we get into greens and purples, it's going to look strange.

post-14999-0-14229600-1369258026_thumb.j

post-14999-0-58467400-1369258033_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks guys, merchant ship didn't come out quite as strong though. I put a crew on the Quinquereme too but it didn't make too much of a difference scaled down.

I love that merchant ship!

Not sure if useful, but I feel it could be good to have the sail with less red stripes, then more white, to ensure the downscaled icon would look very different to the other boat's icon. Side by side, those two feel rather similar in their upper part, and it could be a little be confusing at small size. Out of that, this is all excellent. I'm really amazed by what you come up with Lordgood. Ships seem to be an inspiring area for you!

Could I suggest that for the merchant ship, you draw it from a different angle than with the warships? A view from a position above the deck, showing all the cargo and crates would help communicate right away what the purpose of the boat is.

Likewise, for the fishing boat you could find some way to highlight a net of fish on the side or someone pulling it out of the water onto the boat.

Edited by tribalbeat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is Lordgood dead?

I suspect he is/was very busy with school (although he's probably done with that by now) and/or life. I'd love to see him come back and do more unit portraits though, he's such an amazing artist (and is one of the reasons I started watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic but that's another story...).