Rome 2 Total War Factions

I've watched quite a few gameplay videos and wow, the unit cards are seriously unintelligible. I "get" the artistic direction they were trying to achieve. The "red fired vase" look. But they are very confusing and difficult to differentiate from a quick glance, which is what they need to do. The unit cards just need to be redone, period. Period. Also, the bottom UI in battles is HUUUUGE. Wayyyy bigger than 0 A.D.'s. It covers up about 1/3 of the screen.

I think this thread sums up why R2TW UI is so bad compared to Shogun 2: http://forums.totalw...on-of-Shogun-2.

Notice how it's much easier to see if your units are firing arrows, fighting or doing something else in Shogun 2. In Rome 2 it's just a mess. Really hard to see what your units are doing from the UI.

• Like 1

Loved Shogun 2 with a burning passion. Fantastic game, and it even had a decent launch. Didn't have that many problems with it on day one. I also adored the original Rome: Total War just as much.

Words cannot sum up how annoyed I was by Rome 2's AI and performance problems. It's good to know that the issues will be resolved as time goes on, but I do expect more from Sega and CA when they release a direct sequel to one of the best strategy games of all time.

Also, the Greek States as pre-order DLC? Seriously, Sega? :(

I have the greek Dlc a but is still same , is dificult but is more strategic is interesting. Too less option.

Micromanagement a lot, but I love the diplomatic, the background of conspirators and political are great and tactical to kill invade are great, but my worst performance is in strategic Map wt....?

But battle are great but missile u it's are best that cavalry. Even war dogs are best.

You can have less troops and rebellions are easily to manage. Even many settlements I haven't troops XD. Give allies is easy. Betray them is easy too. But you can have a single enemy to rise. Destroy one by one. For now. I'm waiting the tension between Carthage and Syracuse. In map camping are more than 35 factions obviusly all are same buy culture. Even you can work in other stuff between turns XD.

Is good game with ugly interface, very good technologies work the name fits with our project, because are based in create colonies.

The AI es worst some times. The performance is horrible and pain in ______ you know.

But I like but is long bored and few turns you can do the homework and play a same time.

I have the greek Dlc a but is still same , is dificult but is more strategic is interesting. Too less option.

Micromanagement a lot, but I love the diplomatic, the background of conspirators and political are great and tactical to kill invade are great, but my worst performance is in strategic Map wt....?

But battle are great but missile u it's are best that cavalry. Even war dogs are best.

You can have less troops and rebellions are easily to manage. Even many settlements I haven't troops XD. Give allies is easy. Betray them is easy too. But you can have a single enemy to rise. Destroy one by one. For now. I'm waiting the tension between Carthage and Syracuse. In map camping are more than 35 factions obviusly all are same buy culture. Even you can work in other stuff between turns XD.

Is good game with ugly interface, very good technologies work the name fits with our project, because are based in create colonies.

The AI es worst some times. The performance is horrible and pain in ______ you know.

But I like but is long bored and few turns you can do the homework and play a same time.

Battle AI is a joke. Lacks aggressiveness in just about every way; not to mention how the campaign AI can't stack armies for their digital lives.

I like the Greek States. They're pretty interesting, particularly when you consider the time period of the game. But why is that they're being added as DLC, when they were ready to play in the original at no additional cost whatsoever?

No wonder piracy is so rampant on the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

This video more or less covers my feelings about most so called modern games in general (so "modern" became a negative attribute in this context for me).
Hype the graphics (and often enough add violence I personally don't even like) but ignore game features, playability, balancing, challenge (particularly vs. AI) and especially replayability.
...and I think they are doing this on purpose (e.g. to ensure boredom after a short amount of time to make you buy the next game).
In fact I think marketing, public relations, franchise and advertisement (as is now and especially the direction it goes) is bad for people (yes, even for those working in that area).

So please take care of what aspects of modern games you want to get into 0 A.D..
Especially for an open source project stability, playability, balancing, compatibility, replayability and modability are much more valuable than graphics or how polished everything is. That does not mean those couldn't be enhanced but IMO shouldn't at the price of one of the others.

Yes, cool graphics also encourage PPL to contribute to a project and draws others to play it. But in the long run it's more important which way those contributions go and how long players stick with a game (again especially for an open source project).

Edited by FeXoR
  • Like 2

My biggest anger here is how hugely the gaming media hyped this game. If I can use a crass word, "whoring" comes to mind. The big time gaming media has 100% sold out to graphics and hype. So many pre-release reviews have given the game 90%+ ratings or 9s out of 10 it's sickening. With so many problems, the game is a 7 out of 10 and that's being generous based on the graphics and animations. Gotta keep those advertising dollars rolling. Never trust PC Gamer. Never trust any of those rags. And never ever ever pre-order a super-hyped AAA game at 70 bucks a pop based on the recommendation of commercial gaming media. Don't trust them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...