Hero Portraits!

JustinOperable

One thing to consider with unit portraits is that no portraits is better than 75% portraits for consistency so unless all the units get portraits made you may find a lot of work is unused.

Portraits styles can differ between cultures though right? If I do all of the Carthage units the styles should remain consistent with one another. Another artist can do Rome in a different style, if they choose to do so for example?

• Like 1

I'm not the art director but if i were, I would not have serious inconsistencies even between civs. it's not a big deal if different artists have slightly different painting styles, but intentionally framing or executing the portraits in much different ways will detract from the games aesthetic, but i'm not the art director.

• Like 2

Wesnoth is a free project too, but they have quality standards, specific framing guidelines and a specific style. I think lord goods portraits are nice, though I would put them through a round of critiques or two, but I thought the issue was more one of framing than quality.

Edited by JustinOperable
  • Like 1

Battle for Wesnoth is a free and open source turn based strategy game. www.wesnoth.org. I have contirbuted to that project, they've had at least a dozen different portrait contributors, and the bulk of their portraits are standardized aside from some campaign specific ones that have yet to be replaced. 0ad has a high aesthetic standard and I don't think that should change, and most portraits should undergo revisions as a matter of course, although yes you are correct, it is a free project and care must be taken to keep artists on board. I'm sure the art director will be careful in committing only useful artworks. Wesnoth actually has it's own portrait director as a sub-art director specifically for their portraits (which are numerous).

• 4 weeks later...

Battle for Wesnoth is a free and open source turn based strategy game. www.wesnoth.org. I have contirbuted to that project, they've had at least a dozen different portrait contributors, and the bulk of their portraits are standardized aside from some campaign specific ones that have yet to be replaced. 0ad has a high aesthetic standard and I don't think that should change, and most portraits should undergo revisions as a matter of course, although yes you are correct, it is a free project and care must be taken to keep artists on board. I'm sure the art director will be careful in committing only useful artworks. Wesnoth actually has it's own portrait director as a sub-art director specifically for their portraits (which are numerous).

I like this approach. I am wondering if you'd consider being a possible "portrait director" for 0 A.D.

I'm serious.

• Like 1