defense mod

mimo

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer reseeding?
not about prefering reseeding or not, but about disliking unlimited sources of resource

Making farms unlimited will raise the value of farms, this is a good thing. This makes destroying farms more worthwhile. For farms you'll need lots and lots of space, so you won't be able to defend all of them adequately, allowing raid tactics to really injure an economy.

The bad consequence is, as stated before, that you get an infinite resource, which is not immediately something I dislike, but what I do dislike is a static infinite resource (dynamic: eg. tree growth, dynamic animal populations; static: eg. fish in AoM, infinite farms)

• Like 1

Auto reseeding farms basically remove any micro management from farming anyway. They require you to gather a bit more wood for the reseeding, but apart from that it is essentially the same as having infinite farms. The infinite farm implementation will limit the number of workers per farm to 5 and also encourage fewer by having a slight decrease in efficiency with more farmers. This will spread the farmers further from the CC because more space is needed, making raiding easier.

Also you can't just ignore food as a resource, to play well you need to have a nice even distribution of resources so workers need to be added/removed from food as your situation changes.

• Like 1

I agree with what was said before : at the end, the main difference between reseeding and infinite farm is that in the first case, you need to ensure that you always have some wood available. I think it adds something because you have to make some tactical choices sometimes : if you are attacked for exemple, will you spent all your wood to make soldiers with the risk of missing food ?

But as I said previously, while I've an apriori against them, I'm really open to this new infinite farms and hope the details of the implementation will make them great.

So it's better may-be to re focus this thread to the mod itself :wink1:

quantumstate explained it very well, but I'd like to add:

The cost of food is not the cost of the farm but rather the time it takes to gather it. Really, 100 wood for every 2000 food is NOTHING, especially given that wood is so easy to gather. It's also the pop that it takes to farm; I tend to have 30-40 women farming, which takes away significantly from the size of my army.

Also, with the suggested implementation, the number of workers is limited to 5 and the optimal efficiency is 2-3 workers. That means you'll have to defend a very large area.

quantumstate explained it very well, but I'd like to add:

The cost of food is not the cost of the farm but rather the time it takes to gather it. Really, 100 wood for every 2000 food is NOTHING, especially given that wood is so easy to gather. It's also the pop that it takes to farm; I tend to have 30-40 women farming, which takes away significantly from the size of my army.

Also, with the suggested implementation, the number of workers is limited to 5 and the optimal efficiency is 2-3 workers. That means you'll have to defend a very large area.

Yes, but you should keep in mind that some players like to play defense, and even others (including me) like to vary the strategies. You should not give too much an advantage to a fast expansion, and still allow for some more defensive strategies : it should still be possible to have a defensive strategy in a limited portion of the territory without being (too much) short of food.

Yes, but you should keep in mind that some players like to play defense, and even others (including me) like to vary the strategies. You should not give too much an advantage to a fast expansion, and still allow for some more defensive strategies : it should still be possible to have a defensive strategy in a limited portion of the territory without being (too much) short of food.

You bring up a good point. We're trying to think of ways to make corrals and bushes viable sources of food though, that should solve this. They'd require more micromanagement, but less pop and less room.

Auto reseeding farms basically remove any micro management from farming anyway. They require you to gather a bit more wood for the reseeding, but apart from that it is essentially the same as having infinite farms. The infinite farm implementation will limit the number of workers per farm to 5 and also encourage fewer by having a slight decrease in efficiency with more farmers. This will spread the farmers further from the CC because more space is needed, making raiding easier.

Also you can't just ignore food as a resource, to play well you need to have a nice even distribution of resources so workers need to be added/removed from food as your situation changes.

i hope that for Alpha 14, even now its open a topic, talking about some changes.

• 2 years later...