Future 0 A.d. Website

DarkAngelBGE

Hey people,

We are currently in the process of planning a new website for our great game. ;) This is the thread where everybody is requested to shoot suggestions, tips, tricks, desires, feedback, criticism etc. on the new site.

I will list what I had in mind soon, once the first suggestions have been made. :P

Thanks in advance for helping us to build a home for you !

A simple, clean site really seem like the best. If someone wants to make a flashy site, let them do it as a fan-site. This is supposed to be relatively serious (I assume) and as such, keep it simple and keep it clean ;)

As for contents, seeing as you now have two (2!) people working with news, I guess we can expect a newsupdate twice every day :P Then again, maybe not :P Anything that you feel you can release publicly is good. Just don't release everything at once, or people will be overwhelmed at first, and then gradually lose interest. Release the site, with something else (screens?), then wait a while, get some of those interviews rolling, and you know....gradually :P

Perhaps once you feel you have the time and dedication, make a "history of WFG". Just a minor suggestion ;)

T_I_T aka toast

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, interesting. So if I understand this correctly, every webpage is in fact a forum window (but without the option to add to the thread with replies). Neat. That certainly keeps it consistent. We're using the same language for site and forums.

So eg when a moderator wants to add some extra screenshots to the Media section, he's just editing a forum message using the same interface as we're using now? Or if say we need to add something to the FAQ text, we just edit that post? Very neat.

At first thought it might be a bit limited (I guess HTML tags could flesh that out a bit). Watch out for an upper limit on the character length of a post, though. I've made that mistake. ;) For example, if news was added the same way (presumably just added to the top of the message), you'd eventually hit an upper limit and it'd truncate any future text. You'd then have to move older text into an archive message, and then other one later, etc. Or is each news post going to have its own window?

Oh, and we also need to watch version control ... eg two newsposters updating news at the same time, and one is overwritten.

I definitely like the new sidebar. As has been requested, it's simple and clean, attractive but not too flashy. Wasn't there going to be a poll in there somewhere, though? But on the other hand, I like that you're devoting two thirds of the screen to the current active window. Less scrolling.

i would like to see an info page where there is this large map of europe dotted with info links about the civs(units, buildings, attributes etc). For example to find info about Rome in 0ad you click on italy(it would say rome on it of course, to find out about the gauls, you click near france and so on:)

i would also like to the site look more like a game site rather than just any old site, like have enhanced concept pics around the site(particulary on the main page header) for example you might have a Celtic warriors profile(side of face) on the left of the page, while looking back him, a roman legionares profile is on the right

i would like to see an info page where there is this large map of europe dotted with info links about the civs(units, buildings, attributes etc). For example to find info about Rome in 0ad you click on italy(it would say rome on it of course, to find out about the gauls, you click near france and so on:)

i would also like to the site look more like a game site rather than just any old site, like have enhanced concept pics around the site(particulary on the main page header) for example you might have a Celtic warriors profile(side of face) on the left of the page, while looking back him, a roman legionares profile is on the right

This could be done with flash or with image maps. Flash would load faster, but it'd look worse. Image maps might be a little harder to make, and they'd load slower, but they'd look a lot better.

I could probably do this. I really enjoy making maps, and I think I could probably handle the code.