Civ: Sea Peoples

Atenmeses52

I'm waiting for him to do the UV's xD

That's the most time-consuming part of 3D modelling.

UV-wrapping someone else's model is like ... taking someone else's clothes of. It's a really uncomfortable thing to do when you've got little experience and it often turns out to be harder than expected (that might have something to do with it being dark and with those bizarre clothings that should - imho - be shipped with a manual). Anyway, back to 3D modelling.

I'll ask LordGood to send me his models, and also if he's still planning to UV-unwrap them.

no use too much polygons let me do datails to give that visual effecs :) Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 2 weeks later...

About word Philistine :

Etymology

The etymology of the word into English is from Old French Philistin, from Classical Latin Philistinus found in the writings of Josephus, from Late Greek Philistinoi (Phylistiim in the Septuagint) found in the writings by Philo, from Hebrew Plištim, (e.g. 1 Samuel 17:36; 2 Samuel 1:20; Judges 14:3; Amos 1:8), "people of Plešt" ("Philistia"); cf. Akkadian Palastu, Egyptian Parusata.

Biblical scholars often trace the word to the Semitic root p-l-š (Hebrew: פלש‎) which means "to divide", "go through", "to roll in", "cover", or "invade".[6] The name of the Philistines in their own language is not known; however, the Bible also relates them as the people of "Kaftor" (Hebrew: כפתור‎, i.e. Jeremiah 47, Verse 4). "Kaftor" is not of Hebrew or Semitic origin, which supports the possibility that this word is similar to the name they called themselves.

Another theory, proposed by Jacobsohn and supported by others, is that the name derives from the attested Illyrian locality Palaeste, whose inhabitants would have been called Palaestīnī according to normal grammatical practice.[7]

Another historian suggests that the name Philistine is a corruption of the Greek "phyle histia" ("tribe of the hearth", with the Ionic spelling of "hestia").[8] He goes on to suggest that they were responsible for introducing the fixed hearth to the Levant. This suggestion was raised before archaeological evidence for the use of the hearths was documented at Philistine sites.

I'm just finishing the sea peoples civ profile give me your counsel for improve it :yes3:

SEA PEOPLE CIVILISATION PROFILE

Version 0.3

Edited by Zaphzaph

Nota bene : i use some ancient greek terms. My references is a book of Osprey Publishing : Bronze Age Greek Warrior. And an interessant website : http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/ I've not use phoenician terms because the Sea peoples come from Eagean Sea so they probably spoke Proto-Greek language.

Definitely i'm doing this civ profile for create a massive attack and crushing civilisation. This civ will not be good for defenders but more for quick attacks, pillage and finally destroye every ennemies.

UNIT DESCRIPTIONS

INFANTRY

Generic Name: Swordman.

Specific Name: phasgana.

Class: Swordman.

Hacker Armament: Long sword (0.90m).

Appearance: I think that would be good that the apparence of these warriors is the apparence of the Peleset ( http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/images/seapeoples32.jpg ),

the Shekelesh ( http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/images/seapeoples69.jpg ) and the Lukka ( http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/images/seapeoples14.jpg )

Basic: .

Advanced: .

Elite: .

History: .

Garrison: 1.

Function:

Generic Name: Spearman.

Specific Name: Enkhespi.

Class: Spearman.

Hacker Armament: Long spear ( 1.90m)

Appearance: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxY4BJtoYnIYdaD-NNM6hkc2JAtY9wbi9vM7DcU_31IdZTe5FV

Function: -

Special: -

Generic Name: Skirmisher.

Specific Name: Paltaion.

Class: Archer.

Ranged Armament: Javelin.

Appearance: I suggest the same apparence of : Peleset ( so Peleset Skirmisher ), Shekelesh less armored than the swordman.

Function: .

Special: .

CHARIOTRY

Generic Name: Ox-Carts.

Specific Name: ?.

Class: Cavalry Javelineer.

Ranged Armament: Javelin.

Hack Armament (Passive-Trample): Longsword.

Appearance:

Basic: Driver. One javelineer.

Advanced: Driver. Three javelineers.

Elite: Driver. Five javelineers.

Mount:

History: The sea peoples used to use this chariot when they travelled for quickly settled themselves.

Garrison: 3.

Special: This type of chariot can transform himself into civ-center with 5 Ox-carts.

SUPPORT UNITS

SUPPORT

Generic Name: Sea peoples Woman.

Specific Name: ?

Class: Female Citizen.

Appearance: white skin. Skirt, player color.

Function: Good at gathering food. Has an 'aura' that boosts the productivity of citizen-soldiers around her.

Special: -.

Generic Name: Priest.

Class: Healer.

Appearance:

Garb: .

Helmet: None.

Shield: None.

Figure(s): .

Special:

"Defiance".

Generic Name: Merchant.

Class: Trader.

Appearance:

Helmet: .

Shield: .

Mount: .

Garrison: 2.

NAVY

Generic Name: Fisherman.

Specific Name: .

Class: Fishing Boat.

Appearance:

Shell: -

Garrison: Cannot.

Garrison Capacity: 1; support, infantry

Function: Gathering: Only method of collecting meat from fish.

Special: Garrison a support unit or infantry unit inside to boost fishing rate.

Generic Name: Trading Ship.

Class: Merchant Ship.

Appearance:

Shell: .

Garrison: Cannot.

Function: Sets up trade routes between friendly Ports.

Special: Garrison a Trader inside to boost the amount of trade received.

Generic Name: Light Warship.

Class: Light Warship.

Appearance:

Garrison: .

Generic Name: Medium Warship.

Specific Name: Yudhpot.

Class: Medium Warship.

Appearence:

Garrison: .

Because they are "sea" peoples they have the best type of warship navy.

SIEGE UNITS

Generic Name: Ram.

Class: Siege Ram.

Appearance: Two sea-peoples hold a beam .

Special: Can attack the walls but are weak.

Generic Name: Pillagers.

Class: Buildings destroyers.

Appearance: A sea people with a torch .

Special: Are very good against all buildings and woman ctizen but can't attack walls and weak against all other units type.

CHAMPION UNITS

Generic Name: Two Horses chariot

Class: Cavalry Skirmisher and Cavalry Spearmen.

Ranged Armament: A chariot with a driver and a warrior with a bow and a spear.

Appearance:

Figure(s): -

History: Only Peleset can use it when they settled themselves into Canaan.

Special:

Generic Name: Sherden Guard.

Specific Name: Sheridan.

Class: Champion long swordman.

Appearance: A sherden with heavy protections.

Function: Extra good vs. enemy cavalry. Trained at the Fortress.

Special:

Generic Name: Rephaim.

Class: Champion Giant Swordsman.

Hacker Armament: Variations between a long spear and sword.

Appearance: heavy armoured.

Function: heavy armour; High crush attack. But vulnerable of arrows, javelins and slingshot

Generic Name: Lybian.

Specific Name: <?>.

Class: TBD. Champion javilineer or Champion Archer

Hacker Armament: javelins.

Ranged Armament: Bow.

Appearance:

Function:

Special: Trained from Mercenary campement.They will mix with javelins or bows.

MAURYAN HEROES

Generic Name: Akish of Gath.

Specific Name: Akish of Gath.

Class: Hero1.

Hacker Armament: .

Ranged Armament: .

Appearance:

Garb:

Mount: 2 Horses Chariot.

Special:

"Hero" Aura Increase the strenght of soldier in him aura.

Generic Name: Goliath of Gath.

Specific Name: Goliath of Gath.

Class: Hero2.

Hacker Armament: .

Ranged Armament: .

Appearance:

Mount: Rephaim Giant warrior.

Special:

"Hero" Aura Warcry : When he do this all enemy units in his aura will be more weak in a short time.

Generic Name: Meryre son of didi.

Specific Name: Meryre son of didi.

Class: .

Hacker Armament: Copper sword

Ranged Armament: Javilin

Appearance: Lybian Chieftain

History: One of the greatest leader of the sea peoples confederation.

Special:

"Hero" Aura ( all bowmen and javelineers have an enormous and incredible increase of their number of arrows shoot ).

CIV CENTRE UNITS

Melee Infantry: Sea peoples swordmen.

Ranged Infantry: Skirmisher.

Cavalry: Ox-carts.

FORBIDDEN CLASSES

Slinger.

Cavalry Spearman.

Cavalry Swordsman.

Heavy Warship.

Catapult.

Bolt Shooter.

Archer

STRUCTURE DESCRIPTIONS

VILLAGE

Generic Name: House.

Specific Name: o„k…a.

Class: House.

Generic Name: Granary.

Specific Name: ὅρριον.

Class: Farmstead.

Generic Name: Field.

Specific Name: ἀγρός.

Class: Field.

Generic Name: Corral.

Specific Name: προβατοτρόφος.

Class: Corral.

History: Basic animal pen. Garrison cattle inside for some kind of bonus (TBD).

Generic Name: Mill.

Specific Name: μύλη.

Class: Mill.

History: Resources and building materials were kept in warehouses.

Generic Name: Outpost.

Specific Name: προφύλαγμα.

Class: Outpost.

Generic Name: Palisade.

Specific Name: σταύρωμα.

Class: Palisade.

History: A cheap, quick defensive structure constructed with sharpened tree trunks.

TOWN

Generic Name: Civic Center.

Specific Name: φόρον.

Class: Civic Centre.

Generic Name: Harbour.

Specific Name: λιμήν.

Class: Dock.

Generic Name: Temple.

Specific Name: κόροη.

Class: Temple.

Generic Name: Barracks.

Specific Name: στεγνοποιέω.

Class: Barracks.

Generic Name: Marketplace.

Specific Name: παντοπώλιον.

Class: Market.

Generic Name: Watch Tower.

Specific Name: μάγδωλος.

Class: Defense Tower.

Generic Name: City Wall.

Specific Name: τοίχιος.

Class: Wall.

History: This type of walls will be very weak in comparison with the other civilization walls.

Generic Name: Wall Tower.

Specific Name: πύργος.

Class: Wall Tower.

History: This type of walls will be very weak in comparison with the other civilization walls.

Generic Name: Gate.

Specific Name: πύλα.

Class: Gate.

CITY

Generic Name: Fortress.

Specific Name: ὄχμος.

Class: Fortress.

Function: Trains heroes and champion units but not Meryre son of didi and Goliath. They could be only found at Mercanary camp. This fortress will also be very weak.

SPECIAL STRUCTURES

Generic Name: Mercenary camp.

Specific Name: μισθοφορικός σκήνημα.

Class: SB1.

Requirements: Barrack.

Phase: City.

Special: This type of building can hire Mercenary Units. Like Lybians and Rephaim. You could be also form Hero like Goliath and Meryre son of didi.

Generic Name: Temple of Dagon.

Specific Name: Ἀνάκειον .

Class: SB2.

Requirements: .

Phase: City.

NEW STRUCTURE TRAITS

TBD.

FORBIDDEN STRUCTURES

None.

CIV BONUSES

CB1

Generic Name: Awesome Settlers

Specific Name: μετοικίζω ἐπαινός.

History: The Sea peoples were extremely quick for settled themselves into a new area just conquer. The sea peoples was also well-known for destroying an ennemy settlement and build on their ruins weak buildings.

Effect: Civ Center are less expensive but they are more weak. All them buildings are less expensive but more weak.

CB2

Generic Name: Sea explorer.

Specific Name: ἅλς δ.η.´ω.

History: The Sea peoples were as good as phoenician to find their road at sea and for prepare disembarkation.

Effect: Sea peoples fleets have a better vision aura and all their military navy can form all units infantry type on the shores.

CB3

Generic Name: Best warrior of the world.

Specific Name: ἐκπολεμιστής.

History: The Sea peoples were the best soldier of every. They crush the Hittite empire and attack Egypt twice. At least they were buildings crushers.

Effect: All Sea peoples infantry ( and mercenary units ) have a special bonus against buildings and units infantry or skirmisher.

TECHNOLOGIES

Infantry: Extramely good swordsman. Average spearman. Good skirmisher.

Cavalry: Average. Not as good as Hittite Egyptian and Canaanan Chariots.

Naval: Very good. Almost all technologies.

Siege: Weak siege weapons or siege techs. Pillagers also count as siege unit.

Economy:

Farming: Mediocre.

Mining: Average.

Lumbering: Good.

Hunting: Average.

Land Trade: Average.

Naval Trade: Good.

Architecture: Very Mediocre.

Defences: Very Mediocre. few defensive techs.

SPECIAL TECHNOLOGIES

ST1

Generic Name: .

Effect: .

ST2

Name: .

Effect: .

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

j6oHg7k.jpg

Now we need get a Emblem to this Faction.

3htIEdn.jpg

It's was I supposed, Mycenaean Pirates.

An example of just how easy it is to misrepresent something comes from the following example of the reconstruction of a fighting ship used by the Mycenaeans. This wonderful reconstruction of the late Achaean galley represented on a pyxis from the TraganaTholos tomb near Pylos and dated to around 1200 BC or the Late Helladic IIIC period by the military illustrator Peter Connolly goes to show how careful we must be in our clarification of what constitutes actual and presumed.[\quote]
Edited by Lion.Kanzen

A few ideas:

• Being Sea People, the trader ship could be used as light transport (and light military ship).
  • Only one model of naval galley : a medium fast, though far slower than the classical triere.
  • Shardanes'Sardinia and Canaanan cities had big (cyclopean) walls, like the Mycenaean. Maybe a late game technology would allow Sea People to build costly but sturdy walls.
  • Why no archers? It could be a rare because costly unit and culturally despised, barely noticed in the Egyptian records and no match for the numerous Egyptian archer regiments, but every raiding vessel would have one or two (with flaming arrows?).

Another post from the same author is very interesting, although about the Mycenaean. He describes Myceneans as you would describe Sea People raiders indeed.

http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/cms/karwansaray/ancient-warfare/about/readmore-aw/8-ancient-warfare/ancient-warfare-blog/292-warfare-among-the-mycenaeans.html

And yet I can't help but recall one of the hypothetical origins for some of those Sea People.

At this time Mycenaenan and Minoean ruled on the sea. And then a Sea People would come with unheard naval technology? I read on Wikipaedia that the western European who were in touch with the Mycenaean traders could have slowly acquired their naval technology and when ready, would have tried their chance to the East where riches were and the Mycenaean came from. At first allied with the Mycenaean to plunder Near Orient and Egypt, they might have then turned against each other.

There, the same author think the same:

http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/cms/karwansaray/ancient-warfare/about/readmore-aw/8-ancient-warfare/ancient-warfare-blog/291-mycenaean-warriors-and-the-sea-peoples.html

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Foot units are mid poly because it was created for Civilization 3 where you can use spirit animations. The same with ships.

City was designed in Blender game engine nowhere near that good like 0AD engine.

Buildings are low polygonal (between few hundred up to few thousands polygons)

http://imageshack.com/a/img33/3066/jgni.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img30/4844/oz7z.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img844/931/qje7.jpg

Long building on third image has 6000 poly, I thing that's the biggest number.

I know that people use Blender here, you can quite easily low down polygons number about 40% by use decimate modifier.

Edited by stico
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, it's very interesting, and on the first page I soon as I read "chariot warrior" I was already thinking about the Meso-Americans depicting never seen Spanish horsemen as "centaurs".

But the author won't meet my dream about a possible allegoric origin of the "giant" description for Goliath, and only explains how his armament is fully credible in the Near East context of the time (because the Philistines were not Sea People anymore).

To exploit:

• Armor and weapon descriptions for charioteers and others.
  • Philistine heavy chariot manned by *three* crews.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My comments are in bold.

Yes, it's very interesting, and on the first page I soon as I read "chariot warrior" I was already thinking about the Meso-Americans depicting never seen Spanish horsemen as "centaurs".

Wow, I never knew that bit about the natives' reaction to the mounted Spaniards.

But the author won't meet my dream about a possible allegoric origin of the "giant" description for Goliath, and only explains how his armament is fully credible in the Near East context of the time (because the Philistines were not Sea People anymore).

Could you rephrase that? I'm trying to figure out whether you're saying that Goliath was or wasn't a giant.

To exploit:

• Armor and weapon descriptions for charioteers and others.
  • Philistine heavy chariot manned by *three* crews.

Definitely!

Edited by Zophim

Gigantism, also known as giantism (from Greek γίγας gigas, "giant", plural γίγαντες gigantes), is a condition characterized by excessive growth and height significantly above average. In humans, this condition is caused by over-production of growth hormone[1] in childhood resulting in persons between 7 feet (84 inches) (2.13 m) and 9 feet (108 inches) (2.74 m) in height.

For my that can be a explanation, other is because the ancient don't use precise words to say something, in many civilization have a few words to express a complex idea.

Specially the Jews, the words they uses around biblical time have several meanings.

http://www.wondersandmarvels.com/2013/11/a-giant-roman-emperor-maximinus.html

In AD 235 a giant became the most powerful man in the Roman Empire. Maximinus of Thrace (Bulgaria) was a simple shepherd when his impressive size and strength attracted the attention of the Roman emperor in AD 202. Maximinus wrestled 16 of the emperor’s burliest soldiers. Then, only slightly winded, he raced the emperor’s horse and went on to overcome 7 more hefty legionnaires. The Thracian colossus was inducted into the army on the spot. Maximinus rose through the ranks, proving himself such a beloved leader that he was given supreme command of the imperial army. In AD 235 the army and the Senate proclaimed him Emperor of Rome.

Ancient Roman writers claimed that Maximinus Thrax stood over 8 feet tall. His sandals were said to be twice the size of regular army issue. He wore his wife’s bracelet as a thumb ring. It was said he devoured 40 pounds of meat and 18 bottles of wine at each meal. They claimed he crushed rocks in his fists, out-pulled a team of horses, and knocked out a mule with one punch. These are all exaggerations, of course. Unless his skeleton is discovered someday in a coffin, his exact size remains unknown. But the detailed descriptions of his appearance and portrait busts suggest that the huge Bulgarian probably suffered from a form of acromegaly. Of “frightening appearance and colossal size,” he displayed a prominent forehead, large nose, and lantern jaw, typical symptoms of pituitary gland overproduction of growth hormones.

• Like 1