Civ: Minoans

Atenmeses52

• 2 weeks later...

minoan_computer_9792145.jpg?w=620

Researcher Minas Tsikritsis who hails from Crete — where the Bronze Age Minoan civilization flourished from approximately 2700 BC to 1500 century BC — maintains that the Minoan Age object discovered in 1898 in Paleokastro site, in the Sitia district of western Crete, preceded the heralded “Antikythera Mechanism” by 1,400 years, and was the first analog and “portable computer” in history.

“While searching in the Archaeological Museum of Iraklion for Minoan Age findings with astronomical images on them we came across a stone-made matrix unearthed in the region of Paleokastro, Sitia. In the past, archaeologists had expressed the view that the carved symbols on its surface are related with the Sun and the Moon,” Tsikritsis said.

The Cretan researcher and university professor told ANA-MPA that after the relief image of a spoked disc on the right side of the matrix was analysed it was established that it served as a cast to build a mechanism that functioned as an analog computer to calculate solar and lunar eclipses. The mechanism was also used as sundial and as an instrument calculating the geographical latitude.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I need 2D figure.

Ok I can look after one

That axe is a weapon known as the Labrys.

300px-AMI_-_Goldene_Doppelaxt.jpg

Possibly infantryman? Would it be considered a sword type infantry? Despite having an axe?

Hmm... AFAIK, this was used for ritual purposes, but maybe can figure something out ;)

So far what we I about the Minoans:

- Known for their palatial buildings

- Great trading-Network (to the Middle east, Egypt etc.)

- Undeciphered script

- Worshipped primaly goddesses

- Were probably conquered later by the Mycenaeans

- Against the common believe, the Minoans were not peaceful and had soldiers

Edited by Riamesesa

So far what we I about the Minoans:

- Known for their palatial buildings

- Great trading-Network (to the Middle east, Egypt etc.)

- Undeciphered script

- Worshipped primaly goddesses

- Were probably conquered later by the Mycenaeans

- Against the common believe, the Minoans were not peaceful and had soldiers

Ok I need desing doc for primary units and pics abut architecture of them. Im talking with Heaphestion to finish the Egyptians and next are the Assyriand and then Estruscan League. Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Will the Minoans be a mini faction or are they worth creating the full set? Our team is small.

That civilizations/factions went fully extinct (being conquered or by natural catastrophes or whatever) and intermangled really makes what we try to achieve a tremendous effort.

If Minoans did not exist for a long enough period would you mind if we reduced them to their most significant/distinguishable buildings?

"The unique contribution of the Minoan civilization to European architecture is possibly most evident in the great palace structures of the major Minoan centres of Knossos, Phaistos, Malia and Zakros. Perhaps influenced by Egypt and the Near East and evolving through the monumental tombs of the preceding period, these magnificent buildings, constructed from c. 2000 BCE to c. 1500 BCE, were so complex and ahead to such a degree of the architectural standards at that time that, at Knossos at least, they may even have been the original source of the Labyrinth myth, such would have been their effect on the casual visitor." (Mark Cartwright)

preview-650.jpg

Another good source http://www.ancient-greece.org/architecture/minoan-archi.html

"The word 'labyrinth’ comes from the Greek 'labyrinthos’ and describes any maze-like structure. Etymologically the word is linked to the Minoan 'labrys' for 'double axe', the symbol of the Minoan mother goddess of Crete." (Joshua Mark)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been researching a bit (and sorry for my late reply again, but I'm gonna have an exam in July)

but I have a few questions:

1. What kind of language are they supposed to speak? Do we have any alternatives?

2. What about Hero-Units? We don't know any Minoan heroes.

3. Who wants to help with the Minoans? Just PM me :D

So, I've been researching a bit (and sorry for my late reply again, but I'm gonna have an exam in July)

but I have a few questions:

1. What kind of language are they supposed to speak? Do we have any alternatives?

2. What about Hero-Units? We don't know any Minoan heroes.

3. Who wants to help with the Minoans? Just PM me :D

1-Uhhh... For now we are not Planning languages , is very hard without a expert in the matter

2-Hero we need search ...may be AOE I have some clues for us.

If Minoans did not exist for a long enough period would you mind if we reduced them to their most significant/distinguishable buildings?

This is a Bronze Age era mod, is it not? The Minoans, much like Hittites and Mycenae, were wiped out at around 1200 BCE when the Bronze Age collapsed and the first dark age begun.

Then again, this mod does seem to extend beyond the Bronze Age, though to be Fair, I can't find an exact year that the next Age, (Iron, I assume) actually begins in full... and I've tried.

• Like 1

Indeed, though the final goal is flow of time. Then the epoch's transitions are fluent. e.g. that bronze sword first occurred in 2000B.C., had it's zenith in 1433BC and last occurred or was somewhat obsolete in 1200BC when Iron was available.

You get the idea. That's why a mod's timeframe limits shouldn't be seen as overly significant. I'm rather interested in a per-item time tag than covering 2000BC..1200BC and then all items having this timetag (which is somewhat a historical distortion as not all Bronze Age items existed for the whole bronze age epoch).

Nice you tried to figure a date. thx

I still wonder if Minoans are a full faction.

Generally this is easy to solve:

- Each civ starts as mini faction.

- Once enough buildings + units are modeled + textured, this civilizations gets playable (i.e. gets a civs/civilization.json).

Edited by Hephaestion
  • Like 1

Mi ians are full faction like AOE I

That the idea.

The Wonders is the palace of Minos , heroes can be the mythical Minos but in his true version.

That why we don't named Bronze Age mod to Aristeia, the use of bronze is very very ancient and the time frame the bronze still uses in helmets by Romans, Celts , Hellenes and other.

May be Aristeia have a prequel .

True, bronze has been used later too.

May be Aristeia have a prequel .

Interesting, Zophim has already worked on something related.

That why we don't named Bronze Age mod to Aristeia

That's good for 0ad extended. Though it's a bit confusing that Aristeia is often declared a "Bronze Age mod" then.

If I understand correct than Aristeia is a collection/pack of content related to the after-Stone Age + pre-Iron Age0ad timeframe.

Mi ians are full faction like AOE I

Ok, then that's the goal. Though depending on how much artwork is being created it might only make it to a mini faction (read: not playable). Depends on our activity.

To not overstretch the art department full featured (playable) factions should be only those listed in Lion + Zophim's famous post as Major powers.

• 7 months later...

What? not a major power!

sssss

perhaps a playstyle that emphasizes the Minoan flourish in trade and art, and their naval prowess, like Carthaginians without their colonization bonuses or walls

they have a VERY unique architectural style too, it would be a shame not to add them.

besides, I already made buildings and all that

(if you could PM me your email Stan (or any councilor who wants these), I could send over the files along with the Mycenaeans so I don't forget them down the road.)

post-14999-0-81049100-1425315458_thumb.p

• Like 5

What? not a major power!

sssss

perhaps a playstyle that emphasizes the Minoan flourish in trade and art, and their naval prowess, like Carthaginians without their colonization bonuses or walls

they have a VERY unique architectural style too, it would be a shame not to add them.

besides, I already made buildings and all that

(if you could PM me your email Stan (or any councilor who wants these), I could send over the files along with the Mycenaeans so I don't forget them down the road.)

Sure :)

EDIT : I'll upload them asap :)

Edited by stanislas69