Crowd-Sourced Civ: Ptolemaic Egyptians (Ptolemies)

Mythos_Ruler

• 2 weeks later...

175px-Moneta_Taranto.jpg

Tαρας (or Tarentum in Latin) was a powerful αποικια (colony) of the city of Sparta. Because of its great origins, Ταρας had a very powerful army, originally formed by hoplites and then, after the reforms of Βασιλευς Φιλιππος of Μακεδονια and the arrival of the Επειροτικοι, adopted the φαλανξ μακεδονικα.

But the most famous tarentine troops are not οπλιται or φαλανγιται: the most famous are the Ιππεις Ταραντινοι, powerful skirmisher cavalry troops, good even in melee fights.

Units:

1) Tarentine Cavalry/Ιππεις Ταραντινοι (Hippeis Tarantinoi)

The Tarentine Cavalry is famous in all of the Mediterrean Sea for its skill with javelins and horses. They are used in mass by Pyrrhus army and are recruited by the Romans as auxillaries. They have a medium hoplite shield and a helmet as defense and three javelins to throw. They also have a short sword for melee. They can fight in melee fights without any problem. They are vulnerable to arrows and javelins.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 4 weeks later...

KXjEnzO.jpg

No idea if the size difference is accurate.

This seems like the real thing to me. In Atlas I have seen two variations of the Indian elephant. Great! One is a bit larger than the other, but I think that's great because even within the species there are height differences. I think todays Indian elephants might actually be much smaller. Confirmed (by Wikipedia though!):

Syrian elephants were among the largest Asian elephant subspecies to have survived into historic times, measuring 3.5 metres (11 ft 6 in) or more at the shoulder. Skeletal remains show it did not differ much from the Indian subspecies, except in size.

North African elephants would be 2.5 meters. The picture shows about 1 meter difference, just about right.

As is common with large animals, the dimensions of the Asian elephant are often exaggerated. On average, the shoulder height of males rarely exceeds 2.7 m (9 ft) and that of the females, 2.4 m (8 ft).[7] Average height of females is 2.24 m (7.3 ft), and average weight 2.72 t (3.00 short tons) rarely exceeding 4.16 t (4.59 short tons). Large bulls weigh up to 5.4 t (6.0 short tons) and are 3.2 m (10 ft) at the shoulder

The picture you have shared would be a Syrian elephant.

Also I read about a Ptolemaic king boasted about tamming Ethiopian elephants (it's in the civ profile too). And I've read that they used Ethiopian mahouts. Might be cool to add Ethiopian mahouts or Ethiopian elephants. However we have no idea what species the Ethiopian elephants were, so because of that it might not be worth adding.

Extant (living) forest elephants would be unlikely, so it could be that they tamed African bush elephants which are even larger: Or who knows a other subspecies of elephant lived in Ethiopia that time.

African bush elephants are the largest living terrestrial animals, being up to 3.96 m (13.0 ft) tall at the shoulders (a male shot in 1974);[4][5] on average, males are 3.3 metres (10.8 ft) tall at the shoulders and 5.5 tonnes (12,130 lb) in weight, while females are much smaller at 2.8 metres (9.2 ft) tall and 3.7 tonnes (8,160 lb) in weight. [6]

Anyhow, this will be one of my favorite factions for sure!

I'd like to suggest a new building, the Katoikia where player may build to expand territory with 50% less resources to construct and capable of training both civilians and military units. The Katoikia was a structure available only to the Ptolemies and the Seleucids, and it contains units like Klerouchoi Phalangites, Toxotes Kretikos and civilian units. The main objective of the Katoikia was to provide player an option to expand faster instead of building a typical town hall which require more resources to build while a fortress cannot collect natural resources but requires a certain level of urbanization to unlock it. Although the Katoikia was a good option as a territory expansion facility, it have it's flaw where it have a limited expansion space and lesser HP than a conventional Town Hall.

• Like 1

I'd like to suggest a new building, the Katoikia where player may build to expand territory with 50% less resources to construct and capable of training both civilians and military units. The Katoikia was a structure available only to the Ptolemies and the Seleucids, and it contains units like Klerouchoi Phalangites, Toxotes Kretikos and civilian units. The main objective of the Katoikia was to provide player an option to expand faster instead of building a typical town hall which require more resources to build while a fortress cannot collect natural resources but requires a certain level of urbanization to unlock it. Although the Katoikia was a good option as a territory expansion facility, it have it's flaw where it have a limited expansion space and lesser HP than a conventional Town Hall.

Check this out:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Ptolemies#SPECIALSTRUCTURES

Since we have such building, why don't the team create policy option for the Successor states so that player may choose a certain policy for certain situation. For example, a Ptolemaic player may choose a policy that favors foreign mercanaries and landholders as the staple of their fighting forces thus making native troops no longer available for the player and in return other foreign troops are available for player to recruit, on the other hand a player who favors native troops may found themselves being unable to recruit certain foreign mercenaries and they have to suffer a higher cost for other non native troops.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some people view the forums using a slow internet connection or on their phones, so putting large images into a spoiler isn't a bad idea.

How does this help with a slow connection? As far as I can see, there is no AJAX functionality for spoilers so everything under them (including images) is loaded on initial page loading. It is just hidden, so this allows to scroll less etc. but doesn't save traffic or speed up the page load time. Or am I missing something?

How does this help with a slow connection? As far as I can see, there is no AJAX functionality for spoilers so everything under them (including images) is loaded on initial page loading. It is just hidden, so this allows to scroll less etc. but doesn't save traffic or speed up the page load time.

I didn't know this. Thanks Alex