The Big Eyecandy Progress List

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

looking at earlier posts in the thread, i'd also like to put forward my support for zombies as a non-historical gameplay element, something a bit more unique to include just for fun :) it could even work by giving the zombies a special ability to "turn" other units by spawning another zombie next to them when they kill another unit as well as having spawn-points for new zombies at random places around the map, plus groups of them spawning in the map to begin with like fauna

fantastical stuff aside, i'd also love it if some prehistoric animals were included so that there can be some "lost world"-type maps. to kinda-sorta keep with the themes of vanilla 0 AD, they could come from the countries descended from each civ, like Megalosaurus and Iguanodon corresponding to the Britons. some geologically-recent extinct animals would otherwise be pretty cool, like dodos for a tropical island random map since, while far-fetched, it would be believable for some ancient culture to have reached Mauritius

11 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I love the dinosaurs. I rember JP in the cinema when was kid.

7 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

Yes!

There is theory that raptors develop feathers to glide down from trees into prey. Imaging groups of raptor roosting in a tree waiting to glide down onto unsuspecting herbivore dinosaur. Cool image. Also, the theory say the big claw on their back feet use for climbing and roosting in branches. Awesome theory (doesn't work well for the larger raptors like Utahraptor, but smaller raprot like Velociraptor make perfect sense!).

sketches_of_raptors_by_antarcticspring-d

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

personally, i like the idea that raptors could run up vertical surfaces by using their wings for lift, kinda like how some characters in video games can run up walls for short distances, and i've decided to include a righting reflex like cats for them in a book i'm writing :) this kind of ability would be great if they were a controllable unit, getting them over your enemy's walls kinda like the Anubites in AOM, but that's a different discussion entirely

if you guys want, i could write up a hypothetical list of prehistoric animals based on all the civs currently in the game, or else compile a bunch of quasi-historical references for now-extinct animals which were still around at the time 0ad is set, since it seems like a popular idea

the Persian have their own Dinosaur

these

Resultado de imagen para gryphon persian

but the real is this

http://dinosaurios.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Protoceratops.jpg

Protoceratops

]Adrienne Mayor, a classical folklorist, proposes that the griffin was an ancient misconception derived from the fossilized remains of the Protoceratops found in gold mines in the Altai mountains of Scythia, in present-day southeastern Kazakhstan, or in Mongolia,[2] though this hypothesis has been strongly contested as it ignores pre-Mycenaean accounts.[3] In antiquity it was a symbol of divine power and a guardian of the divine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin

here is an article about this

Ancient Dinosaur Depictions

roXTmPX.png

TBq9xga.png

http://www.genesispark.com/exhibits/evidence/historical/ancient/dinosaur/

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

The Dracorex is very interesating

Resultado de imagen para dracorex hogwartsia-national geographic 56eouGi.pngJ3GJ8ko.png

Spoiler

Dracorex is a dinosaur genus of the family Pachycephalosauridae, from the Late Cretaceous of North America. The type (and only known) species is Dracorex hogwartsia, meaning "dragon king of Hogwarts". It is known from one nearly complete skull (the holotype TCMI 2004.17.1), as well as four cervical vertebrae: the atlas, third, eighth and ninth. T

Resultado de imagen para dracorex

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

the unfortunate thing is that Dracorex is probably a synonym of Pachycephalosaurus

in any case, i do have some ideas for exactly which dinosaurs and other prehistoric species could be included. you want i should post 'em here, or should we make a separate thread for the idea?

• 1 month later...

https://news.cnrs.fr/videos/neros-rotating-dining-room

Roman semi wonder. Suggested in our Reddit.

"The main dining table, which was round, rotated night and day, imitating the motions of the globe." The surprising construction mentioned by Suetonius in his biography of Nero has been found. On Palatine Hill (Rome), a Franco-Italian team of archaeologists discovered remains of a mechanism that could have allowed the rotation of the floor of the main dining room of the Domus Aurea—Nero's vast imperial palace.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Slavery cages. 

We are forgetting the the role of the ancient society about some topics.

Spoiler

The Marxist theory of historical materialism sees human society as fundamentally determined at any given time by the material conditions—in other words, the relationships which people have with each other in order to fulfill basic needs such as feeding, clothing.

Slave societyEdit

The Second Stage: may be called slave society, considered to be the beginning of "class society" where private property appears.

• Class: here the idea of class appears. There is always a slave-owning ruling class and the slaves themselves.
  • Statism: the state develops during this stage as a tool for the slave-owners to use and control the slaves.
  • Agriculture: people learn to cultivate plants and animals on a large enough scale to support large populations.
  • Democracy and authoritarianism: these opposites develop at the same stage. Democracy arises first with the development of the republican city-state, followed by the totalitarian empire.
  • Private property: citizens now own more than personal property. Land ownership is especially important during a time of agricultural development.

The slave-owning class "own" the land and slaves, which are the main means of producing wealth, whilst the vast majority have very little or nothing. The propertyless included the slave class, slaves who work for no money, and in most cases women, who were also dispossessed during this period. From a Marxist perspective, slave society collapsed when it exhausted itself. The need to keep conquering more slaves created huge problems, such as maintaining the vast empire that resulted (i.e. The Roman Empire). It is ultimately the aristocracy born in this epoch that demolishes it and forces society to step onto the next stage.

IMG_4815.PNG

IMG_4817.PNG