Fancy water issues

alpha123

I was playing a game on the 1st, and I got this lovely rendering on the map Phonecian Levant:

http://i.imgur.com/90cOG.jpg

It's consistently reproducible, and turning on Water - Use Actual Depth fixes it.

Without Use Actual Depth: http://i.imgur.com/tdWNC.jpg

With Use Actual Depth: http://i.imgur.com/52GiO.png

The following water-related settings are enabled:

• Water - HQ Waviness
  • Water - Enable Reflections
  • Water - Enable Refractions

These are the default settings for my computer. All other water-related settings are disabled.

Attached is the output from dxdiag.exe

DxDiag.txt

Edited by alpha123

Card name: Intel® G45/G43 Express Chipset

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Display Memory: 1695 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1631 MB

Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2555 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2555

Driver Date/Size: 10/13/2011 11:05:50, 6549504 bytes

Hmm, that's a fairly low-end GPU and Intel generally has awful drivers, so we might be pushing it to the limits. But it looks like there's a newer driver available, perhaps you could try that?

Hmm, that's a fairly low-end GPU and Intel generally has awful drivers, so we might be pushing it to the limits. But it looks like there's a newer driver available, perhaps you could try that?

Gee, it runs the game quite well usually (of course not on full settings). I'll install the newer driver sometime. So does this mean it's a driver bug?

alpha123 and serveurix, does it make any difference when you turn on/off reflections, refractions and so on?

Sorry to answer so late. It doesn't make any difference when I turn on/off reflections and refractions, I mean, reflections and refractions are displayed, but the shape of the water keeps looking like this. And I've noticed that the more I zoom in, the thinner thoses stripes are, until they disappear. With full zoom in the water is properly displayed.

Edited by serveurix

Just a thought, and something that's probably not related at all, but it should be quick to try: Could you try turning on and off shadows to see if that changes anything?

Tooked a few pics while toying with the options.

All graphical settings enabled, zoomed out to max :

1357990395.png

All graphical settings enabled, normal zoom :

1357990573.png

All graphical settings enabled, maximum zoom in (in fact, stripes are still visible on the shores) :

1357990665.png

Refractions, reflections, foam, waves and surface shadows disabled (and zoomed out a little, because without reflections/refractions you almost don't see the stripes on the shores) :

1357990948.png

Disabled the rest (shadows, shadow filtering, HQ waviness), actual depth is still enabled, stripes are still there :

1357991186.png

Edited by serveurix